Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Might be controvoishal, but I think we must sign this boy.

Guest donindundonald

Guest donindundonald

Not as far as I can see.

He would probably even pay his own train fair to get back.

If McGhee and his "scouts" are not enquiring about bringing him back, then questinos have to be asked.

If McGhee even hinted that he would like to sign Russell, then I'm sure he'd walk over hot coals to get back "home".

In all probability though, hibs or dundee utd will get him.

He is not the same player that left us. As much as I loved him when he was here questions need to be asked about his fitness. We are shopping in the bargain basement and he is probably out of our reach wage wise anyway but is it worth the risk of having what could be another Jamie Smith scenario? A couple of games then a lengthy amount of time spent on the treatment table.

Guest donindundonald

your that it would be a gamble interms fitness, but in terms of ability, he is a known quantity and would at worst be available for 50% of the time.

Anderson and diamond certainly sounds a better proposition than diamond and Ifil does it not?

If we have been able to defend in half the games we've played this season, we'd be in a much better position / mood.

i.e. if we had had a better defence for 50% of the season then we might have even been better placed to take advantage of Hibs recent slump and be in contention for a Euro place.

Plus McGhee would get back  onside with the fans with a signing like that?

your that it would be a gamble interms fitness, but in terms of ability, he is a known quantity and would at worst be available for 50% of the time.

Anderson and diamond certainly sounds a better proposition than diamond and Ifil does it not?

If we have been able to defend in half the games we've played this season, we'd be in a much better position / mood.

i.e. if we had had a better defence for 50% of the season then we might have even been better placed to take advantage of Hibs recent slump and be in contention for a Euro place.

As much as I liked Russell when he was with us, I think DerBomber has pretty much summed up how I feel about this.

Aberdeen FC can not afford to take the financial risk that he is actually available for even 50% of the time. Pay as you play deal would be ideal, but anything other than that would be crazy given the state of our finances.

Your statement of "would at worst be available for 50% of the time" has no basis whatsoever other than your own optimism, as he hasn't been available 50% of the time down south. And if he has, he still hasn't played 50% of the games, in fact nowhere near it which raises questions of sharpness, not to mention the impact so many bad injuries have taken on his ability and confidence. 

Mark McGhee will get the fans onside by winning matches. Simple as that really.

Getting the fans onside should play no part in Mcghees thinking when making signings. If he thinks that a player can improve the team it should matter not a jot if the fans think he is either shit or a prick.

No questioning your opinion on him then?

My opinion on who? It doesn't matter my opinion on a player. I may voice it and say he is shit, he is a prick etc etc but that should not have any bearing on if Mcghee signs a player or not. To sign a player just to get the fans onside is pointless and achieves nothing in the long term.