Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What should the board do?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With the players he has brought in so far I would not trust him with more money.

That's my concern too.

I am also worried if we get rid of the players like Mackie and Young (who have gone as far as they can at the club) they are replaced by players who won't have the same fight.

after tonights comments I think a clearout is on the cards, if anyone will take them. Willie seems to harbour high hopes for the academy kids and seems willing to suffer for a year or two of misery to let them establish themselves. Wouldn't mind if it wasn't quite so painful though. MMG still full of confidence that his record stands up and those who appointed him don't believe him to be the problem.

If McGhee is on a one year rolling contract allow it to expire.

If it's a two year contract allow him to make the necessary changes and/or contract renewals in the summer without any excessively long term contracts being handed out. 

For whatever reasons this pairing has not worked out, you can blame the board and the players all you want but the bulk of the responsibility for the current shambles has to rest with McGhee. It's all very well clearing the "dross" and playing the youngsters, but if you alienate the "dross" it pisses of their mates the team play shite and the youngsters get set back a year or two in their development because their confidence is shot.

If McGhee is on a one year rolling contract allow it to expire.

If it's a two year contract allow him to make the necessary changes and/or contract renewals in the summer without any excessively long term contracts being handed out. 

For whatever reasons this pairing has not worked out, you can blame the board and the players all you want but the bulk of the responsibility for the current shambles has to rest with McGhee. It's all very well clearing the "dross" and playing the youngsters, but if you alienate the "dross" it pisses of their mates the team play shite and the youngsters get set back a year or two in their development because their confidence is shot.

Surely the whole idea of a rolling contract is that it doesn't expire?

after tonights comments I think a clearout is on the cards, if anyone will take them. Willie seems to harbour high hopes for the academy kids and seems willing to suffer for a year or two of misery to let them establish themselves. Wouldn't mind if it wasn't quite so painful though. MMG still full of confidence that his record stands up and those who appointed him don't believe him to be the problem.

Unfortunately for those kids they have to be around positive influences to develop. They're learning from senior players who seem to have the entirely wrong attitude, they're surrounded by arsehole fans who scream and boo at them and they have a manager who is a complete disaster. We'll never see the best of them at Aberdeen.

Surely the whole idea of a rolling contract is that it doesn't expire?

Exactly the opposite. It expires, then becomes a month to month situation. McGhee can be binned with no financial repercussions.

Exactly the opposite. It expires, then becomes a month to month situation. McGhee can be binned with no financial repercussions.

How can it ever expire if it's a rolling contract?  A rolling contract surely means that with every day you have a year left. Otherwise it's just a years contract.

How can it ever expire if it's a rolling contract?  A rolling contract surely means that with every day you have a year left. Otherwise it's just a years contract.

A rolling contract essentially has no end date on it, but McGhee has a yearly rolling contract so if it's not ended after that year, it simply continues for another year.

I say back McGhee. Give him a chance with his own squad. But also give him a free swing of the axe to clear out ANY players he doesn't want ... that includes players who still have contract terms to see out.

But its never going to happen-The board wont let him pay off players and then it would all be bargain buys

A rolling contract essentially has no end date on it, but McGhee has a yearly rolling contract so if it's not ended after that year, it simply continues for another year.

That's my understanding of it as well, he gets another year added on every season.  He's basically on a 1 year contract, that gets extended every year.

I say back McGhee. Give him a chance with his own squad. But also give him a free swing of the axe to clear out ANY players he doesn't want ... that includes players who still have contract terms to see out.

Again, a red herring.

There are hardly any manager's brought into clubs who are allowed to have their 'own squad'.

The remit is to get more out of the players there and to gradually over time improve the squad with additions.

It's cloud-cuckoo land to think that we're somehow going to have a clearout over the summer and bring in a whole team of bright, sparkly, steely, experienced players who are going to be better than what we've already got.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust McGhee with the 20p I found doon the side of the couch. His bumblings and hesitation in the transfer market before the season began cost us the chance to make any impact in Europe or to get off to a flyer in the league, and there's nothing he'd done since then to convince me he's capable of identifying the players that we need or having the skills to sign them.