Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Craig Brown - McGhee...watch and learn

Despite having a piss-poor playing surface, a small and inexperienced squad, and despite taking them over when they were worse off than the Dons.....Craig Brown is pretty much an example of everything that McGhee isn't.

He's organised, a good tactician, gets the best out of his players, is respected in the game, and knows when to keep his mooth shut and not to make a fool out of himself.

We made a mistake not going for him rather than a buffoon who isn't big enough for the job, who has lost the confidence of the players, is tactically lacking, and who blames everybody and everything for his own failings.

I'll ignore the first part since 40 years of supporting the club through thick and thin gives me the right to post what I want.

Cheers.

I never knew that our utterly fcking awful form was down to me not posting 'McGhee is great'.

Here was me mistakenly thinking it was due to piss-poor man management skills, rubbish team selection, and baffling tactics.

Well, that's me told.

Where did you find the original post?

Quite clearly you have copy and pasted and just inserted 'Craig Brown' for 'Mark McGhee' and 'McGhee' for 'Calderwood'.  :P

Whilst there is no doubt Brown & Knox are doing well at Motherwell, I am interested to listen to why, before Motherwell and when Calderwood was given the dunt, you would have taken on Brown?

I am very sceptical as to whether Craig Brown even entered into your, or any other Aberdeen fans minds as their preferred candidate for the Dons job.

Where did you find the original post?

Quite clearly you have copy and pasted and just inserted 'Craig Brown' for 'Mark McGhee' and 'McGhee' for 'Calderwood'.  :P

Whilst there is no doubt Brown & Knox are doing well at Motherwell, I am interested to listen to why, before Motherwell and when Calderwood was given the dunt, you would have taken on Brown?

I am very sceptical as to whether Craig Brown even entered into your, or any other Aberdeen fans minds as their preferred candidate for the Dons job.

Good point. Motherwell turned to an experienced hand in Brown when everything went tits up with Gannon, and it has happened to come good. However, if AFC had turned to a 70 year old manager with little or no experience of top level management over the past ten years, I think we'd all have been furious.

Good point. Motherwell turned to an experienced hand in Brown when everything went tits up with Gannon, and it has happened to come good. However, if AFC had turned to a 70 year old manager with little or no experience of top level management over the past ten years, I think we'd all have been furious.

Yes but we wouldn't have been if he'd produced the run of form he has for Motherwell.

For clubs like Aberdeen and Motherwell, it's all about getting the maximum out of the players you have available in the shortest possible time.

Brown seems to be able to do it, McGhee has failed spectacularly.

This thing about 'transition' and 'not McGhee's team' is a complete red herring. McGhee was hired to build on the foundations already there and to hopefully improve on them.....not to run the team into the ground.

For clubs like Aberdeen and Motherwell, it's all about getting the maximum out of the players you have available in the shortest possible time.

Brown seems to be able to do it, McGhee has failed spectacularly.

This thing about 'transition' and 'not McGhee's team' is a complete red herring. McGhee was hired to build on the foundations already there and to hopefully improve on them.....not to run the team into the ground.

Hindsight is a great thing isnt it.

Come back with this post this time next season if or when Motherwell are still firing on all cylinders.

Browns club managerial record reads as follows

Clyde - After 5 years he got them promoted to the 1st division where they stayed until he left 4 years later

Preston North End - 12th & 15th before leaving due to a shit start of the 2004-05 season. Billy davis get the same squad of players to the playoff final.

5years of retirement, punditry and generally just being old craig

Motherwell - Decent team already and is continuing where Gannon and co left off.

Couple of seasons ago the same stuff was being spouted about Mcghee and Calderwood. Ask yourself this? Is it really all Craig Brown or is it a combination of Craig Brown and players who actually give a fuck about their football careers. Let us not forget that their current Goalie and 10 goal striker are on Everton's books and are either looking to finally get a permanant move somewhere else or show Moyes that they deserve a spot in the premiership.

I can and will criticise mcghee at will but the last manager i was behind completely was Mr Skovdahl. At the time I seem to recall alot of the fans were backing him because of his past record with Brondby even when we were getting humped left right and centre. 2 trips to Hampden in the first season glazed over out league position but the next season we went from Bottom to top of the bottom 6. Next season we were 4th. Season later while sitting 9th we sacked him for Patterson. Which as i seem to remember was not a popular decision given the chants from the stands at his last game in charge.

Perhaps he got it easy because of Alex Miller and Paul Hegarty before him (perhaps even Roy Aitken even though he got us 3rd place and a league cup) but he was given time and allowed to bring in his own players. Some good, some not.

But I digress. Despite the shit results we've had since January Ive found myself starting to enjoy the matches Ive seen recently a bit more because people like you seem to be absent from the terraces. If we can just get rid of the cunts who spend 90mins picking on individual players (Aluko at Hamilton) then the end of the season may see things turning. If you aint got anything constructive to say other than 'someone else got a new manager and hes doing better than ours. Our manager should fuck off' then just keep your mouth shut.

We always say we need to be beating the so called lesser teams. Well finishing in the bottom 6 will give us 5 extra games to practice against them.

My biggest issue with Mcghee is he apparently keeps talking to the press (I say apparenlty because I think all journalists are essentially liars from the start). If he and the rest of Aberdeen FC or even scottish football can stop giving these typewriting monkeys anything to work with then they will actually have to do their job properly and cover real news and perhaps the negativity and inhouse belittling can turn to 'right lets see if this works, if not fuck it well try something new instead of 'oh no we wont change because if we do we'll get ripped apart in the press and the fans.

40 years of following us through thick and thin (allegedly) and yet you cant even give a new manager 1 full season without declaring him a failure.

Will you be waving your white hankie from the Mcdiarmed park stands tomorrow should we lose?

Yer nae the only one who thinks McGhee is shite, BigRed. I think he's been shite so far - and his excuses are pish. The idea of a "transition" season is pish. McGhee's nae getting my backing any more. I don't trust him to turn it around - I don't trust him to sign a player - and I don't trust that the board will give him financial backing, so he needs to do it essentially with the squad he already has, many of whom he seems to have burned his bridges with already. There aren't even any signs of things improving. Same shite fitba, same shite tactics - and worryingly small crowds. Action needs to be taken soon. When we're struggling against teams like St Johnston and Hamilton, something needs to change.

So in three words... "McGhee, Fuck Off!" :wave:

This quote sums it up for me - people showing blind faith in an incompetent journeyman manager while contemplating defeat against fuckin St Johnstone - is this how low things have got?

Its called support jaeger

Its all fine and well to type up your rants and wishes for Mcghee to fuck off on the internet but thats all it ever is. Text on a computer screen. You feel so strongly then start a protest group, write a letter to the club, set up a meeting with stewart milne but at least do something more constructive then 'oh has it come to this blah blah blah'

I dont like Mcghee as a manager. i didnt think he was anything special that first season at Fir park yet many of those around me were all bitching about him doing wonders with mortherwell while we were stuck with calderwood. However hes here now and Im prepared to give him 2 seasons to chop 'n' change. I can criticise his tactics (as If I know anything about tactics), I can moan when we lose and my personal favourite is thinking 'what a thick cunt' everytime I see some quote in the newspaper but hes here to do a fucking hard thing which is turn the likes of Mackie and co into a team that can do something other than be the 'best of the rest' and I dont expect anyone to do that in less than 2 seasons.

Hes certainly not going to do it if after less than 30 games hes being told to fuck off. The next guy comes in and next year we are the same so hes told to fuck off

and so on and so on and before you know it we are QPR.

Im going along tomorrow and he'll get my support through the 90mins same as Hegarty, Skovdahl, Patterson and Calderwood got (and I only liked 1 of them).

Despite having a piss-poor playing surface, a small and inexperienced squad, and despite taking them over when they were worse off than the Dons.....Craig Brown is pretty much an example of everything that McGhee isn't.

He's organised, a good tactician, gets the best out of his players, is respected in the game, and knows when to keep his mooth shut and not to make a fool out of himself.

We made a mistake not going for him rather than a buffoon who isn't big enough for the job, who has lost the confidence of the players, is tactically lacking, and who blames everybody and everything for his own failings.

I take it you were calling for Craig Brown to be our new boss before McGhee was appointed then? If not, then your original post is the biggest pile of nonsense I've read on here for a while. It's easy to say what we should have done differently in hindsight, now that we are in a difficult situation.

MM is our manager now, and we need to get behind him, as we sure as hell can't afford to be sacking/paying anyone off at present.

In comparison to McGhee, yeah I would say so. I thought before he came to Aberdeen that he was actually quite an intelligent guy but if you heard his interview before the game tonight, he really can't seem to help making a clown of himself.  :-\

I think McGhee is quite an intelligent guy, but aye his interview pre-match wasn't a comfortable listen and it's clearly a man under pressure.  A real defensive mask came on pretty quickly and it's painful to listen to. 

I think McGhee is quite an intelligent guy, but aye his interview pre-match wasn't a comfortable listen and it's clearly a man under pressure.  A real defensive mask came on pretty quickly and it's painful to listen to.

Unfortunately he doesn't intelligence when it comes to realising that he needs to stop giving these kind of interviews. Stick to short concise replys, don't waffle on, give them a few cliches and get back in the dressing room and talk where it counts.

Unfortunately he doesn't intelligence when it comes to realising that he needs to stop giving these kind of interviews. Stick to short concise replys, don't waffle on, give them a few cliches and get back in the dressing room and talk where it counts.

He can talk all he wants in there... no one's listening.

Unfortunately there's no way in hell McGhee will turn this around.

The player's don't want to play for him, he's unable to inspire them and quite simply everybody associated with AFC is blankly going through the motions.

The team is on a downward spiral that can only be ended by the inevitable sacking of the manager....the question is will the board have the guts to do it ?

We won't win another game this season and it's unthinkable that we can allow McGhee the opportunity to drag us into the 1st division next season....which he will if he's still manager.

The big problem for the board, is not where we end up in the league (as I doubt we'll get relegated) but its what effect this piss poor season is going to have on season ticket sales for next year.  Do they back the manager in the hope the fans will return, or do they sack him in the hope the fans will return?

The big problem for the board, is not where we end up in the league (as I doubt we'll get relegated) but its what effect this piss poor season is going to have on season ticket sales for next year.  Do they back the manager in the hope the fans will return, or do they sack him in the hope the fans will return?

Good question.

Inaction is not an option.

If we pretend this isn't happening and everything's going to be OK next season, then the bottom is going to drop out of the Aberdeen support.....season ticket sales will be around 5-6.000 and average gates won't be much higher.

Already this season this coming Saturday is going to see our only home gate which will be much over 5K.

I honestly believe that to back McGhee with cash would be criminal.....he cannot get the players to play for him and I have it on good account that the players can't stand him (giving them Sunday training and not turning up himself is one reason).

Is McGhee only on a 1 season contract ?

If he is we have to accept that the gamble didn't work, bring in a new boss and back him with reasonable funds.

Anything else is playing Russian Roulette with the very future of our club.

The board never backed a manager who qualified for Europe twice, they're surely not going to back one that has managed barely a week in the top 6 and will lead us to our worst points tally since 03/04 under Steve Paterson.

At least Pele could argue that he was too drunk to know what he was doing.

The board never backed a manager who qualified for Europe twice

Scott Severin - Free, but one of the highest paid Dons players of all time

Barry Nicholson - £250,000

Steve Lovell - £250,000

Lee Miller - again free, but in the highest-paid-players bracket ... and JC was given a warchest of £650,000 of private investment to try to get Miller's signature in previous seasons

Jimmy was given plenty of money to play with. On the other hand, he did actually qualify for Europe with these players, so there is an obvious co-relation between speculating to accumulate!

I get your point and will add that Calderwoods net transfer spend was negative. I would also point out that after qualifying for Europe the first time he had Russel Anderson sold before the start of the campaign, and Chris Clarke and Michael Hart sold half way through. The later of which, if rumours are to be believed, because the board wouldn't sanction around £100 a week extra.

The second time he qualified they sacked him.