Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Strachan - Don fans are morons

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2889524/Strach-morons-blast.html

GORDON STRACHAN has blasted the Aberdeen fans who are giving boss Mark McGhee abuse - branding them MORONS.

And Strachan insists the Dons boo-boys should remember his best mate helped create Pittodrie history as a player.

McGhee was SPAT upon after the club's Scottish Cup exit to Raith Rovers last month.

And Strach - who played with McGhee in the Dons side that lifted the Cup Winners' Cup in 1983 - is spitting mad.

He rapped: "If you go back to a club, as Mark has done at Aberdeen, all the great memories can get soured by a couple of bad results and a few morons screaming at you.

"That can take away the happiness you had.

"It can chew you up and leave you asking: 'What have I done to deserve this? I'm one of the guys who has helped you to have history of which you are proud'.

"I was all right, I didn't have a history at Celtic as a player.

"But if I had to go back to Leeds, or Aberdeen, then that might wipe away a lot of the brilliant memories you hold."

Strachan once had a Coventry jersey thrown at him by one raging fan.

He revealed: "When I took Celtic to Coventry for Richard Shaw's testimonial a few years ago, that same guy approached me again. He said: 'You won't remember but I'm the 'backside' who threw the strip at you. I can't apologise enough.

"That was good enough for me.

"Mark had to do that walk at Pittodrie. And I know what it can be like. When I went back there with Celtic, the abuse I got took me aback.

"I thought: Where's this coming from? I played seven years at the club, my family grew up here, I worked so hard with my team-mates to give you a bit of history. But when I come back I'm this and that. Honestly, it's just a job."

Can any article about Aberdeen not mention the spitting allegation? Even the great journalism has made it 'upon'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=H3ogYg05e_Q&feature=related

Shit article from a shit 'newspaper' with the expected anti-aberdeen bias.

Could say exactly the same thing about any team's support when things are going badly. Obviously the spitter was a moron but it reads as though Strachan was making that point and the paper has embellished it to sound like he's calling anyone who thinks Mcghee's doing a shit job a moron. No way would he be that daft because that would imply we aren't having our worst season in near enough 10 years.

"I thought: Where's this coming from? I played seven years at the club, my family grew up here, I worked so hard with my team-mates to give you a bit of history. But when I come back I'm this and that. Honestly, it's just a job."

Maybe you should have thought about that before coming the cunt in the papers about the club you "worked so hard.." to give us a "bit of history".  Fabulous player but a pretty horrible, jumped up little man who I have less and less time for the more he pontificates.

I'm yet to see or hear any concrete evidence that the spitting incident really happened.

And Strachan is right, to the players it's just a job for a few years. To us the supporters, it's a lifetime of dedication.

The Sun can fuck off.

Guest rocket debris

Strachan is as mad as an oatcake with twice the cheese. I love the fact he is in football as we get to hear his idiosyncratic brand of insanity on a regular basis. I missed this when he was out of work. But, like Willie Miller, he is a disgusting human being. Velocity in response to can I have a quick word will always be one of my most memorable. He will be found out shortly at Boro. He is unlikeable, in possession of zero redeeming features.

Guest rocket debris

Exactly - only Mark McGhee says he was spat at/on. Nobody else in the ground saw it. I think it's a load of horse shit. The club has covered up the fact that McGhee was talking crap hoping that it will go away - but haven't realised that the press will be going on about it for years to come.

It needs McGhee to come out and say he was lying to the press again - that'll go down a treat. :doh:

I can't believe it happened either. We would have heard more about it in the real world if it did.

Utter shite article just trying to belittle a Dons legend in the eyes of the Dons fans. In actual fact, he called a small minority of fans morons because of their actions towards the club's players and manager.

Anyone would think Strachan was giving a Durrant-esque blanket accusation towards the entire Aberdeen fanbase. Hey, let's face it. It's not like the Sun to let the facts of the story get in the way of a top-quality headline.

Aberdeen fans hit back at Strachan

Gothenburg great off the mark with his ‘morons’ comment

By Michael Gannon

Published: 13/03/2010

Aberdeen supporters last night told Gordon Strachan to mind his own business after the Gothenburg Great branded a section of the club’s support as “moronsâ€.

Strachan, manager at Middlesbrough, hit out at the Red Army for abuse aimed at his former Pittodrie team-mate and current manager Mark McGhee, who claimed he was spat at after the Dons’ Scottish Cup defeat against Raith Rovers.

Strachan said: “If you go back to a club, as Mark has done at Aberdeen, all the great memories can get soured by a couple of bad results and a few morons screaming at you. That can take away the happiness you had. It can chew you up and leave you asking: ‘What have I done to deserve this? I'm one of the guys who has helped you to have history of which you are proud’.â€

The criticism has been dismissed by Dons supporters’ groups, who insist Strachan does not have his finger on the pulse when it comes to the current goings on at Pittodrie.

Neil McDougall, chairman of the Northern Lights Supporters’ Club, said: “Gordon cannot help but stick his beak in. It is just sour grapes after his assistant Gary Pendrie got involved in an argument with a Dons steward at Pittodrie in 2007 and Gordon got into bother for chucking in his tuppence worth.

“Gordon was well liked and respected as a player here but some of the things he comes out with as a manager grate. Mark McGhee is an Aberdeen legend and he will always be a legend in the supporters’ eyes.â€

Gordon Duncan, from the Aber-deen Supporters’ Trust, said: “You can always rely on Gordon Strachan to give the west coast media a soundbyte or two. It is unfair to simply dis-miss unhappy supporters as morons. I agree some of the abuse after the Raith game went overboard but it was the result of frustration which had been brewing. The criticism has been aimed more at the players.

“I would say about 80% of the Dons supporters are behind McGhee, which is more than most managers receive. We know he has a mammoth job to do. The supporters are backing him but hope the board can do so as well by releasing funds to give him half a chance of achieving success.â€

Still not convinced what all the fuss is about.

Guest rocket debris

The "fuss" was that he called AFC fans morons. I was so upset with that article I cried all the way to the chip shop... 2, 3, 4.....

I've got no idea where Neil McDougall pulls the '80% of Dons fans are behind McGhee' quote from.

Attendances, both home and away have plummeted and will continue to plummet this season.

I know for a fact that some supporters clubs have cancelled buses simply because there's no more interest, and it seems unlikely that these clubs will run buses again this season.

People are drifting away from Aberdeen in droves and quite a few supporters clubs will struggle to remain viable under these circumstances.

There's absolutely no evidence at all that McGhee is capable of making these players into a cohesive unit.....and like it or lump it, or moan about the players or whoever......that's McGhee's job.

The sense of utter apathy that's settled over everybody connected with AFC is equal to or worse than when Paterson was steering our team into oblivion, and to say that 80% of Dons fans are somehow behind McGhee with everything above happening somehow beggars belief.

Almost everybody just wants this season finished with, but if there aren't significant changes in the summer and if we start off next season like we finished this one, then McGhee will be a gonner by September.......maybe some Dons fans are hoping against hope that things will improve, but even the most trusting aren't going to give this clown another season to run our club into the 1st Division.

I've got no idea where Neil McDougall pulls the '80% of Dons fans are behind McGhee' quote from.

Attendances, both home and away have plummeted and will continue to plummet this season.

I know for a fact that some supporters clubs have cancelled buses simply because there's no more interest, and it seems unlikely that these clubs will run buses again this season.

People are drifting away from Aberdeen in droves and quite a few supporters clubs will struggle to remain viable under these circumstances.

There's absolutely no evidence at all that McGhee is capable of making these players into a cohesive unit.....and like it or lump it, or moan about the players or whoever......that's McGhee's job.

The sense of utter apathy that's settled over everybody connected with AFC is equal to or worse than when Paterson was steering our team into oblivion, and to say that 80% of Dons fans are somehow behind McGhee with everything above happening somehow beggars belief.

Almost everybody just wants this season finished with, but if there aren't significant changes in the summer and if we start off next season like we finished this one, then McGhee will be a gonner by September.......maybe some Dons fans are hoping against hope that things will improve, but even the most trusting aren't going to give this clown another season to run our club into the 1st Division.

It wasn't Mcdougall who said that, but I take your point and it seems that figure was plucked out of thin air with little or no evidence to back it up.

However, in a similar fashion, you are also jumping to conclusions that those who are staying away are doing so simply because of McGhee and McGhee alone.

That's a valid point.

Those staying away are obviously doing it because of the results on the pitch...that's the bottom line.

I suppose it's a personal opinion as to whether you feel McGhee is completely to blame/is partly responsible/is not to blame for the shambles.

I've nothing personal against McGhee. I just happen to feel that if you're a football fan for any length of time it's reasonably easy to spot a manager who can get things right, and one who just has no chance of ending the downward spiral of failure.

Burley with Scotland was the classic example, and I'm afraid that McGhee is another one.

He simply has hardly done a thing right since day one, and the point is rapidly approaching where it's so obvious that he's a liability that the club will have no option but to sack him.

The main reason I missed one home game this season was because the football on display has been awful for most of the season, and I had something better to do that night.  If they don't sort it out on the pitch, I'm not renewing my season ticket.

Snap.

However, I didn't disagree with what Strachan said though I don't have much of an opinion of Strachan himself, aside from the fact that he has had Boro in fucking free fall since taking over. In other words, keep yer heed in yer ain trough ginger boy, you've enough troubles of yer ain!

I pretty much agree with Strachan.

Fans complained Jimmy played shit football and players out of position. They were practically jizzing over McGhee because of the style he played at Well.

Now we have McGhee and it's all complaints again.

THE SINGLE FACT IS WIGGY IS RUINING THE CLUB.

On field performances maybe shite, but that's because we've lost 2 squads of players and replaced them with shite. shite players = shite performance.

Not McGhee's fault, and to be brutally honest, if we can't afford players, you think we can afford to sack him anyway?!

I pretty much agree with Strachan.

Fans complained Jimmy played shit football and players out of position. They were practically jizzing over McGhee because of the style he played at Well.

Really? I know there was a certain website "practically jizzing over McGhee" but there is absolutely no way I'd say that was representative of this board and definitely not of the Aberdeen fans I know.

Really? I know there was a certain website "practically jizzing over McGhee" but there is absolutely no way I'd say that was representative of this board and definitely not of the Aberdeen fans I know.

Agreed.

His managerial record was average before coming to Aberdeen.