Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: McGhee wants Kerr to stay as Aberdeen FC skipper

McGhee wants Kerr to stay as Aberdeen FC skipper

Boss to step up bid on new deal

By Sean Wallace

Published: 09/03/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee will this week step up his bid to secure skipper Mark Kerr on a new deal.

Midfielder Kerr is out of contract at the end of the season and has been free to talk to other clubs since January 1.

Negotiations have been on hold due to Aberdeen FC’s hectic fixture schedule in recent weeks.

But with no game this weekend, due to them crashing out of the Scottish Cup, McGhee will move to secure his skipper.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express or read our digital edition now.

Where's this hate coming from?

Kerr is a decent player, no more no less, but name me one player we have signed since in the last 7 or 8 years that has been better than the player that has left?

Good news as far as I'm concerned, and there has been fuck all of that emanating from AB24 in the last while.

Kerr is a decent player, no more no less, but name me one player we have signed since in the last 7 or 8 years that has been better than the player that has left?

Good news as far as I'm concerned, and there has been fuck all of that emanating from AB24 in the last while.

Are you on a fishing expedition?

Thats why we are fucked. But Kerr does not have the attributes to lead the team.

Scott Severin & Jamie Smith.

Yip, Kerr has become the latest AFC scapegoat for all of lifes ills.

IMO he was a decent player last season but appears to be struggling with either the captaincy or the formation / tactics that we're playing (and losing with) this season, I'd suggest we find a new captain, change how the team are set-up and find a decent creative midfielder to play alongside Kerr.

Problem solved  ;D

add Barry Nicholson to the list

There must be some reason that overnight Kerr has gone from being one of our best to one of our worst players. I'd rather we started by fixing that problem first as I don't see the point in replacing him with somebody else if the same thing is just going to happen to them too.

I don't really care either way if Kerr stayes or goes.

OK, maybe I should have said 5 or 6 years, when I typed I was thinking Barry Nicholson was the last real improvement to the side and figured it was about 7 years ago that he signed. Maybe I should have been anal and looked it up, in truth I figured folk would get my point.

We know Kerr to be decent, for whatever reason, it's not working for him just now but is the answer binning him and hoping for the miracle that is attracting someone better, for less money, no relocation costs, to what is now a bottom 6 SPL club with dwindling crowds? Let's not forget Kerr's original signing was a fairly drawn out process in a season that we played in the UEFA cup last 32.