Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons on the hunt this weekend

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1637455?UserKey=

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee will make the most of a free weekend to step up his player search.

With the Dons out of the Scottish Cup and not in league action, McGhee will travel to England to watch a game as he compiles a list of signing targets.

McGhee will not be the only one on the hunt for the Dons.

He said: “I will be using the chance this weekend to take in some games – with at least one of them in England – and so will assistant manager Scott Leitch, Craig Robertson (scout) and, hopefully, Willie Miller (director of football).

“It is no secret we are looking in the free transfer market, which will make our task harder, but it is important we take in some games to see what’s out there.†McGhee was relieved to see his team stop a three-game losing run with a draw at Hamilton on Saturday.

The Dons recovered from losing the first goal to earn a share of the spoils courtesy of Zander Diamond’s first goal of the season.

But McGhee saw a mixed reaction in the dressing-room

He added: “On the one hand, we were happy to get the point as we deserved to get something from the game.

“But there was frustration that we didn’t win it.

“We felt Dundee United would beat Hearts and, had we won, we would have been a step closer to getting back into the chase for a top-six place.

“As it is, we are now a point closer and the game in hand at St Johnstone next week has become huge.

“We have to win it. If we don’t then I think our hopes will have gone, but if we can get the victory there then we will be back in the hunt.â€

Despite no competitive action this weekend, the Dons players will be expected to use this week to improve their fitness.

McGhee feels Sone Aluko is still some way short of match sharpness as he bids to recover from an injury-disrupted season.

The Nigeria international can expect to be pushed hard in the Dons training programme this week.

McGhee said: “I think the break has come at the right time for us as one or two players such as Mark Kerr, who hardly trained last week due to a knee injury, need a break.

“Others, such as Sone Aluko, however, need games and there will be a lot of sprint work in training this week. I know there is a good bit more to come from this team so in a sense it is nice to take stock and regroup for next week.

“But I’m not kidding myself as it is going to be a hard game at Perth.

“What I will try to do is accentuate the positives of Saturday and focus on getting the players ready for what will be a massive game for the club.â€

So the hunt in the bargain bin begins.

I would've thought there'd be better quality players in the free-market than the cheap-market. There'll still be plenty of Bosman players available this summer who would normally cost a bob or two. Paul Iffil from the Wellington Phoenix would be awesome. He's the Phoenix' top scorer this season with 13 goals, and is itching to get back into the British leagues.

I would've thought there'd be better quality players in the free-market than the cheap-market. There'll still be plenty of Bosman players available this summer who would normally cost a bob or two. Paul Iffil from the Wellington Phoenix would be awesome. He's the Phoenix' top scorer this season with 13 goals, and is itching to get back into the British leagues.

I remember him being decent but...

"Ifiil signed a contract extension to keep him at the Phoenix until the end of the 2011/2012 season, with an option for an extra year." (from wiki)

I wouldn't be surprised if our significant signings were more or less all loan players for the forseeable future unfortunately.

Guest rocket debris

It's a sign of the financial times or an indication of a lack of ambition at AFC and probably a combination of the two.