Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - manager

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

teamof2decades2.jpg

After a wee break, let's get back to deciding on the team of two decades. We've now got our first eleven, with two clear favourites upfront in Shearer and Gillhaus. Your first choice pairing stole two-thirds of the votes, more clear-cut than I thought it would be.

So we've got our team. Now we need someone to manage it. Now the rules for this, as per previous rounds, is you need to choose your manager based on their performances for Aberdeen FC from 1st Jan 1990 to 31st December 2009.

This poll will run until next Sunday.

Was close between Smith/Scott and Calderwood.

Went for Smith in the end, as we had more genuine 'success' and some decent wins/perfomances/excitement (although also crushing disappointment!) under him.

Not that we enjoyed much in the way of success in the period under discussion!

Aitken was just never going to win this, despite actually bringing us our last silverware.

I take it the inclusion of McGhee is just a piss-take...

Guest rocket debris

Calderwood, without a shadow of doubt.

You are not alone in your conviction, much as I think you are spikkin serious shite. It's 10-6 at present.

The best football I have ever seen Aberdeen play was not under Fergie. It was the last few months of the 1990/91 season, my closest to 100% home and away, missing only one game, the horsing at McDiarmid 1990.

To be so convicted that it should be Calderwood is sad. The man never came close to winning anything. He's never won anything in his life so it's not achievement you base this absolute doubtless conviction on.

Perhaps it is the football he served up? Compared to Scott and Smith, there is NO comparison either in footballing terms nor achievement.

Please tell me you're not saying JC just because you know that most Aberdeen fans wanted rid if him and you are ingratiating yourself with your perceived notion that to "fit in" with this webchatspeaksite you need to adopt this misguided line? Or perhaps you genuinely think that JC is a better manager? On what basis you arrive at such insanity, fuck knows.

You are not alone in your conviction, much as I think you are spikkin serious shite. It's 10-6 at present.

The best football I have ever seen Aberdeen play was not under Fergie. It was the last few months of the 1990/91 season, my closest to 100% home and away, missing only one game, the horsing at McDiarmid 1990.

To be so convicted that it should be Calderwood is sad. The man never came close to winning anything. He's never won anything in his life so it's not achievement you base this absolute doubtless conviction on.

Perhaps it is the football he served up? Compared to Scott and Smith, there is NO comparison either in footballing terms nor achievement.

Please tell me you're not saying JC just because you know that most Aberdeen fans wanted rid if him and you are ingratiating yourself with your perceived notion that to "fit in" with this webchatspeaksite you need to adopt this misguided line? Or perhaps you genuinely think that JC is a better manager? On what basis you arrive at such insanity, fuck knows.

Perhaps I chose him just to get a reaction out of you, or maybe because Smith & Scott left when I was 4 years old?

I had a choice between Aitken, Miller, Heggarty, Skovdahl, Paterson, Calderwood & McGhee. From that list there is absolutely no other option than Calderwood.

No question it is Smith/Scott.

I would say Miller, W.  probably did better than Calderwood too, esp if you ignore the "never again" (sic) season, as we played some stunning football and came second in everything on a couple of occasions.

The rest are nowhere and shouldn't even be on the poll, although clearly Aitken deserves recognition for winning the cup.

I take it the inclusion of McGhee is just a piss-take...

McGhee is the Aberdeen manager from 12th June 2009 to 31st December 2009, hence his inclusion. I was tempted to put Keith Birkenshaw up there, as he managed us for two games (both draws) in the wake of Roy Aitken's sacking. But then I also thought of putting the first option as Smith/Scott and then the second option as just Smith, seeing as he did manage us for a period without Scott.

I went for Smith/Scott. In my opinion, I think Calderwood has probably done the best with the resources available to him. Smith had money to back him, no debt hanging around the club's neck, he had a youth system that was the envy of most British clubs, and he had the Old Firm by the balls. If all the managers had what Smith/Scott had at their disposal, I'm sure we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

Although in saying that, I think the fact that so much money was granted to Aitken and Alex Miller is the catalyst that began the crippling of Aberdeen Football Club.