Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Giving MM time

If McGhee resigns or we sack him then we're in a worse situation than we were when we sacked JC. The club sacked JC because he had taken us as far as he could and they see MM as the man to take us forward. That means MM has to impliment his style and get his players to take us forward. However, that takes time and we may go backwards initially inorder to go forwards in the long term. We have to accept that. Many Man Utd. fans called for Fergies head in 1987 becuase he didn't have an immediate impact in terms of results/trophies and they were pretty dire to begin with - time can do wonders.

I was never a fan of JC but I gave him 3 years. One to familiarize himself with the club and the squad, and to start implimenting his way. Two to get his own players and squad, playing his style of play. Three to progress and play as a JC team. We did that and became a top 6 team but he couldn't take us further than that and he had to go because the club wanted more.

In my opinion MM has 3 years. However, if SM and WM feel McGhee is to take us further than JC then I do feel they have to back him financially. My concern is that he is expected to do better than JC with the same or less resources. Every year we seem to operate with less and less money yet the board expects MM to do better than JC. If they want more than a JC team they have to back him with money so the summer will be interesting. The Xmas market is no place to sign players given our financial situation so this summer and personnell changes will be very interesting.

I don't know or have access to club finances - how much investment/sponsorship/additional income do we get annually? Is Milne doing his job to attract investment? Obviously I assume not.

We live in a world of instant gratification - back the team and MM.......for now!

I would accept that if it was anything more than blind hope fighting against screaming realism.

Regardless of our financial situation, it's McGhee's job to get the best out of what is a reasonably talented group of players.

With the exception of about 5 or 6 games from 30 this season, he simply hasn't done that....and just as worryingly there's absolutely no sign at all that he can turn things around.

As I said on another thread, anybody that's watched football for any length of time can spot a manager that's failed and has lost the players and fans.

Every aspect of McGhee's tenure at the moment screams failure.

And with every respect, to compare things to Fergie at United is plainly ridiculous.

If McGhee resigns or we sack him then we're in a worse situation than we were when we sacked JC. The club sacked JC because he had taken us as far as he could and they see MM as the man to take us forward. That means MM has to impliment his style and get his players to take us forward. However, that takes time and we may go backwards initially inorder to go forwards in the long term. We have to accept that. Many Man Utd. fans called for Fergies head in 1987 becuase he didn't have an immediate impact in terms of results/trophies and they were pretty dire to begin with - time can do wonders.

I was never a fan of JC but I gave him 3 years. One to familiarize himself with the club and the squad, and to start implimenting his way. Two to get his own players and squad, playing his style of play. Three to progress and play as a JC team. We did that and became a top 6 team but he couldn't take us further than that and he had to go because the club wanted more.

In my opinion MM has 3 years. However, if SM and WM feel McGhee is to take us further than JC then I do feel they have to back him financially. My concern is that he is expected to do better than JC with the same or less resources. Every year we seem to operate with less and less money yet the board expects MM to do better than JC. If they want more than a JC team they have to back him with money so the summer will be interesting. The Xmas market is no place to sign players given our financial situation so this summer and personnell changes will be very interesting.

I don't know or have access to club finances - how much investment/sponsorship/additional income do we get annually? Is Milne doing his job to attract investment? Obviously I assume not.

We live in a world of instant gratification - back the team and MM.......for now!

I'm totally with you on the giving him time. Its really our only sensible option. However, the money is not going to come. We lost a significant income when Setanta went and our crowds are dropping alarmingly. McGhee will have to work wonders to turn things around. Unfortunately for us we are up the proverbial creek without a canoe.

I would accept that if it was anything more than blind hope fighting against screaming realism.

Regardless of our financial situation, it's McGhee's job to get the best out of what is a reasonably talented group of players.

With the exception of about 5 or 6 games from 30 this season, he simply hasn't done that....and just as worryingly there's absolutely no sign at all that he can turn things around.

As I said on another thread, anybody that's watched football for any length of time can spot a manager that's failed and has lost the players and fans.

Every aspect of McGhee's tenure at the moment screams failure.

And with every respect, to compare things to Fergie at United is plainly ridiculous.

your having a laugh arnt you this lot couldnt score just now in a barrel of fannies  >:D

I feel for McGhee. I don't give a fuckin rats arse for the players. Yes McGhee's played pretty shite in the transfer market, such as putting all his eggs in the Stephen Hughes transfer in the summer ... only to be left with Grassi.

Those players, however, need to be sold/released/whateverittakes. McGhee pours his heart out after last week's Falkirk defeat, and the players react with this sort of shite? Losing to NINE MEN??!!! Every single one should be culled from the club WITHOUT EXCEPTION! They don't deserve to be playing for a club of Aberdeen's stature. Let them rot in the lower reaches of the Scottish and English leagues. I for one will not miss Mackie, Aluko, Kerr, McDonald and every single one of those wasters if we were to get rid of them in the summer. Sick to death of the mediocrity that is being accepted by Aberdeen players.

To be honest, FJ, I really would rather we had a player-deficiency than have cnuts like Mackie, Aluko, Kerr and McDonald sapping our wagebill dry with the square-root of fuckall effort coming out of them.

Yes, Mackie's had some nice touches and some nice goals lately. But he is NOT SPL quality. If I remember rightly, Leigh Hinds and Leon Mike had some "nice touches" now and then. Hell, even David Zdrillic scored a nice goal once. Doesn't mean I ever want to see any of them at the club ever again!

In regards to transfers, we have experienced this problems for 5-10 years or so. We punt the underachieving players, sell some players, and lose the expired contracts. However, the manager has been given little or no money for adequate replacements, or to improve a paper thin squad. For MM to be given a chance of success he has to be given some sort of money to bring in players in the summer. I'm realistic that we'll not be given millions but if SM and WM want MM to be successful he has to be given some realistic resources to do so - if we are to experience a squad clear out realistic replacements cost money.

If MM wants time then he needs to teach his fucking useless twatting players how to pass! After that they can then set about learning how to get an attempt on goal within 90 mins! Two games at home and NO attempts on or even near target is delegation fodder!

If they don't know how to pass by now then they probably shouldn't be pro footballers.

Delegation fodder is good though!!!  ;D

I'm all for giving MM time but if this cack continues he'll be pushed out the door. What cannot be escaped though is the fact that some of these players aren't good enough. McGhee was a top striker at our club and if anyone can teach our....i use this term loosely, strikers.... to score, its him. He should also be banging on Willie Millers door to get the shaky defence sorted out and kick some arse. I'm desperate for McGhee to succeed but he looks out of his depth and he doesn't help himself as every week he seems to make a gaffe in the papers. "We're too good to go down" Did not want to read that, gave me the fear. Wiggy won't part with any cash so all he can do is keep his head down and put in a lot of hard work.

I'm all for giving MM time but if this cack continues he'll be pushed out the door. What cannot be escaped though is the fact that some of these players aren't good enough. McGhee was a top striker at our club and if anyone can teach our....i use this term loosely, strikers.... to score, its him. He should also be banging on Willie Millers door to get the shaky defence sorted out and kick some arse. I'm desperate for McGhee to succeed but he looks out of his depth and he doesn't help himself as every week he seems to make a gaffe in the papers. "We're too good to go down" Did not want to read that, gave me the fear. Wiggy won't part with any cash so all he can do is keep his head down and put in a lot of hard work.

Our defence and strikeforce are the least of our worries just now, we offer absolutely no creativity, no finesse and zero tactical nous.

We are crying oot for a Barry Nicholson-esque midfielder.

And a decent manager would be good ana  ;D

If we're going to be playing in the bottom 6 for the rest of the season then he needs to get back to basics, drop this fucking 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-4-1-1 shite and get back to a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with some solid man marking at the back, and clearly defined roles throughout the rest of the team that players can understand. If they fuck up the simplest formation in the game then we really will see which of the players are the problem.

The whole world has access to the finances, well, anyone with the internet - the annual reports are on the official site. You're as ignorant about the finances as ye are about the situation the club's in.

I don't trust McGhee to save us from the very real possibility of relegation - hardly "ludicrous" to suggest it now, eh Mark? I think the players might just pull out all the stops - but nae sure they'll do it with McGhee as manager.

Fit a mess.

the idea of that puts their professionalism in doubt. the thought of them 'trying harder' for another manager unfortunately says to me that it is indeed the players that we are needing to offload and not the manager

If we're going to be playing in the bottom 6 for the rest of the season then he needs to get back to basics, drop this fucking 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-4-1-1 shite and get back to a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with some solid man marking at the back, and clearly defined roles throughout the rest of the team that players can understand. If they fuck up the simplest formation in the game then we really will see which of the players are the problem.

I think that this is the only solution. I worry though that he may be too stubborn to admit defeat on his methods/tactics (see his quote earlier on in the week). Something needs to be done and if this is the only way to do it, he has to be man enough to admit his ideas are beyond these players footballing ability. I just don't understand his persistence with it as we all knew that 4-4-2 is the only setup that these players understand. We know they are stupid?

Haha, wouldn't say I'm ignorant about the situation the club is in. Sacking the manager won't help. We're 8 points away from top 6 with a game in hand and 9 from bottom so every game is vital. While we are playing absolute shite right now a run of a few good games and we're safely in mid table but I do agree 6th is unlikely now - yes, that's not good enough and yes, losing to div. 1 teams in the cups isn't good enough, but I'm all for giving MM time to see what he can do. We'll never buy ourselves out of trouble so you've got to give MM time to impliment his style, pick up a few players hopefully in the summer, plus incorporate the young and promising Fyfie, Pawlett, and Paton who have been impressive this year. We're in a bad run right now but the Hearts, Celtic, and Hibs performances a few weeks ago show that potential is there. As I said before, SM and WM have to make some sort of funds available if we're having a MM clearout this summer though.

Call me optimistic, patient, or simply 'ignorant' but the 'we're pish right now so turn on the manager' attitude doesn't work for me right now. We're a club that simply has to give MM time. It's clear listening to JC and MM that they are very different managerial types so the squad has to adapt which also takes time with the stereotypical uneducated footballer.

"Uneducated" doesn't matter.  Clarke Carlisle won on Countdown, and had an absolute 'mare yesterday, at fault for the first goal and giving away both pens.

Ifill isn't a footballer by any stretch of the imagination - but you can tell he's TRYING to do what he's been told.  It just he's really not good enough.  As opposed to Considine, who's got no fkn idea what being a defender is about.  Is Ifill any "cleverer" than Andy?  Fk knows - but I'd happily see both of them playing for whoever we were due to play against that week.

My point of uneducated is that if some of the players cannot grasp what MM is asking there is a problem as we see. However, does MM adapt his tactics for the few who he has no intention of keeping past the summer while sacrificing his style of play and the players who'll incorporate what he's trying to do. It's short term fix or long term focus. Do you coach in the moment or try to establish and build a philosophy as a new manager? While I get the impression MM is focused on long term the majority of fans want the short term and immediate fix, hence the current situation. The fear is the long term mentality could see us somewhere between 8-12th in the league which is unacceptable, but is it worth it in the long term when no successful outcome is guaranteed??

the idea of that puts their professionalism in doubt. the thought of them 'trying harder' for another manager unfortunately says to me that it is indeed the players that we are needing to offload and not the manager

Exactly. If that is the case then fuck all else has to be said. They are wage thieves and I'd happily see everyone of them hung, drawn and quartered at the Castlegate.