Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Chris Crighton's take on Gary McDonald

MARK Robins is remembered by supporters of Manchester United as the player who preserved Alex Ferguson’s managerial position.

Robins rarely contributed with United’s red on his breast, scoring marginally more goals for Fergie’s team than the Portsmouth defence.

But his precious and perfectly timed cup goal one nervous day in Nottingham was an act of fate-changing significance as Ferguson went on to greatness and even a knighthood.

Gary McDonald may just have done a similar turn for Mark McGhee.

Only a fool, or a radio reporter, would suggest that defeat at Raith could have ended McGhee’s Aberdeen employment. But it would have brought his season to a dishearteningly early and bereft close and dealt a blow to long-term rejuvenation plans.

At least Robins had a valid reason for his paucity of output. He couldn’t always get into the team.

McDonald has no excuse. He leaves no impression on games because he is devoid of strength. One assumes he so frequently finds the space to prod the ball home because the other team has forgotten he is there.

Perhaps McGhee had as well. For McDonald to survive three substitutions was astonishing. That he would thereafter cap a wretched display by ghosting in at the back post to score was almost ghoulishly inevitable.

But while attackers can get away with doing nothing except scoring, more is required of a central midfielder. Aberdeen found themselves needing a last-gasp leveller only because they were hopelessly bullied in the middle of an atrocious park, where McDonald and Mark Kerr continue to alarm.

With neither signed beyond June, it is time to bite the bullet and sacrifice McDonald's goal threat to obtain someone who actually fulfils the job description.

Rovers may rue the five minutes of stoppage time. But with lengthy treatment to both Laurie Ellis and Iain Williamson – plus the six substitutions – it could have been more.

Raith are precisely the sort of obdurate, unflashy team the Dons toil to break down.

There is therefore, no guarantee that this late redemption will endure like that delivered by Robins.

Can't argue with that, good article.

I haven't been to many games this year but from what I have seen MacDonald just looks out of his depth.  He certainly isn't the "box to box" midfielder we were told he was when he arrived.

I'll be quite glad if he leaves at the end of his contract.

Read that earlier and thought it was a particularily good article.

Over the piece been very disappointed with Mcdonald's contribution since joining us.

Accept he can be good a ghosting in on the blind side in opposition box, however his contribution in the middle of the park is somewhat lacking, and to be honest our team is not strong enough to carry passengers that will pop up with the odd goal now and again

Can't argue with that, good article.

I haven't been to many games this year but from what I have seen MacDonald just looks out of his depth.  He certainly isn't the "box to box" midfielder we were told he was when he arrived.

I'll be quite glad if he leaves at the end of his contract.

Totally agree. I've been really disappointed with him, seems to have completely lost interest after looking quite promising when he first signed.

Read that earlier and thought it was a particularily good article.

Over the piece been very disappointed with Mcdonald's contribution since joining us.

Accept he can be good a ghosting in on the blind side in opposition box, however his contribution in the middle of the park is somewhat lacking, and to be honest our team is not strong enough to carry passengers that will pop up with the odd goal now and again

Agree Al, but the one thing that McDonald has going for him is that he does occassionally get us a goal.  For too much of the time this season I've been wondering what it is that Kerr brings to the table.

Good player on his day, but his day seems to come along extremely infrequently these days, in particular since his rather volatile end to last season.

Neither should be kept on at Pittodrie in my opinion.

Agree Al, but the one thing that McDonald has going for him is that he does occassionally get us a goal.  For too much of the time this season I've been wondering what it is that Kerr brings to the table.

Good player on his day, but his day seems to come along extremely infrequently these days, in particular since his rather volatile end to last season.

Neither should be kept on at Pittodrie in my opinion.

Just a pity McDonald's goals don't compare with what the likes of Billy Stark used to give us from midfield

Stark in his days at Pittodrie was also a target for the boo boys, but was good for a right few goals ghosting into the box late

McDonald is a luxury we simply can no longer afford. A pussy in the tackle which for a big fella with pace and playing in his position is fucking criminal. Yes he makes runs. Couldn't fucking care.

Kerr is a disruptive influence on a game when playing well, annoying and hassling the opposition. Sometimes I've felt the pressure of having to do too much of that and creatively influence the game have been too much for him, add to that the captaincy and he's fucked.

I wouldn't necessarily like to see him binned. McDonald on the other hand can go, probably unnoticed.

His reports are pretty clever and appear to me well written but I guess that isnt hard in the ee! Im pretty sure he was a big JMG and is definately now in the MIG end of the scale.  Basically although he sounds clever i think he writes a load of shite! MM's article today was better and for once it seem to lack bullshit.  He thought the criticism was churlish on Saturday and that it is unrealistic to expect to pump a pretty decent 1st div team away on a shite pitch.  Also Im not a fan of Gary Mcdonald but can we get much better with the wages we are willing to pay?  I wouldnt like be in MM's shoes at the mo!