Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Fyvie - SPL Young Player of the Month

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/articles/20100207/clydesdale-bank-premier-league-young-player-of-the-month_2212158_1957872

CLYDESDALE BANK PREMIER LEAGUE YOUNG PLAYER OF THE MONTH AWARD FOR JANUARY

Aberdeen's 16-year-old midfielder Fraser Fyvie has been named Clydesdale Bank Premier League Young Player of the Month for January.

Fyvie, who recently signed a new 3-year contract at Pittodrie, has made quite an impression since his introduction the Aberdeen first team at the tender age of just sixteen years and six months.The midfielder started in each of the club's five Clydesdale Bank Premier League fixtures in January scoring his first senior goal in the 3-0 win over Hearts - an achievement which made him the SPL's youngest ever goalscorer.

A panel of Scottish football experts chose the award winners from a shortlist which included the top three fans' nominations from Clydesdale Bank's football website, www.cbfootball.co.uk.

Football fans can vote for their Manager, Player and Young Player of the Month during the last week of each month, at www.cbfootball.co.uk.Each month one fan will be selected to win a prize.

In his first ever major interview young Fraser spoke with RedTV and then invited journalists from the Sunday papers.

Fraser told RedTV "I am delighted to win the award. Hopefully I can keep the form going until the end of the season. I was a little surprised when I heard the news! I did not play that well in the last couple of games but I suppose I did ok at the start of the month and then I got my goal against Hearts. Scoring the goal was a great feeling.

"When I signed in the summer after leaving school I did not expect to be playing regularly in the first team! I played a few games for the 19s, a few friendly's and then the manager told me I was training with the first team. I showed him what I could do and then he has put me in against Hamilton.

"I feel I have coped ok but I have found you have to get your rest in. After training I just go home to my bed and sleep a lot but it is just part of the recovery process.

"The players have all been great with me. Very supportive. Mark Kerr especially as he is the guy I have been playing alongside in midfield. He will talk to me during games and at training as well."  :o

:clap: :clap: :clap:

People say I'm worth £10m but I still get bus home from training, says Aberdeen kid Fraser Fyvie

Feb 7 2010 Gavin Berry, Sunday Mail

ABERDEEN starlet Fraser Fyvie has been linked with a move to the Premiership and seen a £10million price tag slapped on his head.

But the 16-year-old keeps his feet firmly on the ground by getting the bus home from training.

The midfielder is seen as the hottest prospect to emerge from Pittodrie since Alex Ferguson's glory days.

He became the youngest scorer in SPL history when he netted against Hearts in a 3-0 win last month.

That helped Fyvie scoop the Clydesdale Bank Premier League Young Player of the Month award for January.

And the prize will sit alongside the two Man-of-the-Match champagne bottles that will remain unopened in his mum's house until he's old enough to drink.

It has been a whirlwind start to the season for Fyvie who was just two years old when his boyhood heroes last lifted silverware.

The youngster had only left school a couple of months before making his top-team debut against Hamilton.

But there is no sign of hype getting to the level-headed kid - underlined by the fact he jumps on public transport when his day's work at Pittodrie is finished.

Fyvie, who celebrates his 17th birthday next month, said: "Usually my mum takes me to training in the morning.

"But if none of the lads can give me a lift home I'll just take the bus. A few times people have come up to me but I just sit there and speak to them.

"My life didn't change much after my first SPL goal - although people have started to recognise me more.

"Getting into the first team hasn't changed me. If you're getting too big-headed the boys in the dressing-room soon tear you right back down. I have my family around me as well.

"I still stay at home and get all my cooking and cleaning done. Away from football I just go to town or sit at home playing the PS3. I sometimes have a game of badminton as well.

"I only left school in the summer and my pals are delighted for me - but it was the same before I went full-time.

"I still keep in touch with all my friends. A few of them are doing apprenticeships and some are still in school.

"Others are in electrical engineering and similar trades.

"They had a bit of a joke when my name was linked with English clubs but I didn't take much notice. I just kept myself away from it, kept playing my football.

"I've played at Parkhead and Ibrox and that was a good experience. I've also won a couple of Man-of-the-Match awards but the champagne is still at home.

"It was great to score against Hearts and I've watched the goal back a few times. I get DVDs of all the games to watch at home. The club make them available and a few of the lads take the DVDs."

Boss Mark McGhee can't contain his excitement when talking about Fyvie's potential after claiming interested clubs like Blackburn would have to splash out £10m to land him.

And he insists the kid is as good as any of his former team-mates who lifted the Cup Winners' Cup in 1983.

The Dons gaffer said: "Fraser compares with any of the Gothenburg greats. He's 16 and you have to think what he will be like when he has played 200 games. By that time he will only be 20.

"The potential, if we're careful with him, is enormous. I only established myself in the Aberdeen first team when I was 20 or 21. He's five years ahead."

Fyvie was given his first taste of what lay ahead when he played beside some of those Gothenburg legends McGhee has compared him to.

At just 14 he joined them for a halftime kickabout during the friendly against Manchester United that marked the 25th anniversary of Euro glory.

Fyvie said: "It was a Paul Lawrie select against the Gothenburg Greats.

"The Greats had a few players out so Neil Simpson asked me to play with them. I was like: 'Yeah, I'll do that!'

"There was John Hewitt, Neil Simpson and a few others. It was for 15 minutes at the break. I could have scored but didn't do well with my shot. The game ended up a draw and I got to talk to a few of the legends.

It was a full house and I was proud when they announced the teams."

But Fyvie's big breakthrough came at Hamilton in August.

After assuming he would spend a season in the youth team the midfielder was given his first-team debut as the Dons cruised to a 3-0 win.

He said: "I was just told on the day of the game when the team was read out.

"The manager said my name and I got a bit of a shock - but I was delighted.

"I was quite nervous before the game but settled quite easily because the players around me helped me.

"I was an Aberdeen supporter when I was growing up so it was a great moment."