Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Michael Hart

Guest innesciver

Guest innesciver

Good to see that HArt is eager to sign new deal before start of season:

Hart wants to seal new Dons deal

Aberdeen defender Michael Hart wants a new contract that would keep him at Pittodrie signed before the start of the new SPL season.

The 27-year-old has already held preliminary talks with director of football Willie Miller.

Hart was an important part of an Aberdeen side that finished third last term and wants to extend his stay.

"Willie knows I want to stay and I'm just waiting to see what they come back with," Hart told the Evening Express.

Hart was released by former Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl but brought back from Livingston by the Dane's successor Steve Paterson.

Ideally I would like to get everything wrapped up before the start of the season

He has gone on to become an integral part of current boss Jimmy Calderwood's squad.

The Dons fly out to Egypt on a pre-season tour before opening the new campaign with a trip to Tannadice to face Dundee Utd on 4 August.

"Ideally I would like to get everything wrapped up before the start of the season so I can concentrate on playing," Hart added.

"We're away to Egypt on Monday for 12 days so I'd like to get something sorted out when we're over there.

"Willie said he would get back to me in the next couple of weeks so that should be anytime soon.

"It shouldn't be too difficult to get something sorted out."

Aberdeen are currently playing out a series of local friendlies and began their match build-up with a 5-1 success over Highland League side Cove Rangers on Thursday night.

Jackie McNamara

McNamara made his Dons debut at Allan Park

Calderwood handed debuts to Jackie McNamara at right-back, Lee Mair at left-back with Karim Touzani partnering Hart in the centre of defence.

Dutch winger Jefferey de Visscher made a scoring start to his Dons career with the third goal.

The other goals came from Chris Maguire, Steve Lovell and a brace from Lee Miller.

With former Celtic captain McNamara starting on the right of defence, it meant that Hart moved to a more central role, something he has no qualms about.

"Competition is really intense for places so you need to perform in the pre-season to get into the team," he said.

"I was happy enough playing as a central defender. As long as I'm in the team come the start of the season then I'll be happy.

"It was a good performance against Cove and we performed very well in stages.

"It's just about getting through the games and playing some decent football which we managed to achieve."

Guest innesciver

Read it all before, mate. Russell Anderson said the very same thing only two days before he signed for Sunderland.

I'll only believe he wants to sign an extension once he has actually signed and we've seen his signature-photo in the Depressing Journal.

Agreed m8, I just got excited at seeing some Dons news on BBC website.  Things are too quiet for my liking.  This place is also dead!

Close-season is always quiet for footy discussion forums. And we've not advertised that DT is actually up and running again yet as we're not finished tweaking it and building sections of the site.

I reckon Hart will sign a new contract with us as it's a chance for him to show his leadership qualities by taking control of the defence in Russell's absence. But I'm just not getting my hopes up until I've seen a photo of him signing.