Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

SPL Survey

Some interesting questions, hopefully they get a good response and take note.

Yeah, I'd imagine that every fan that does it will have the same kind of thoughts, like Atmosphere is shit nomatter where, the league isn't that competitive and that some would like summer football with standing allowed.

Not 100% convinced about summer football but definitely think there should be a couple of weeks break in January, plus the expansion of the league.  But we won't get expansion of the league because the smaller teams enjoy the financial benefits of two home games against each of the Infirm.  In fact, I'm not even sure Aberdeen would be keen on league expansion for this reason!?

Not 100% convinced about summer football but definitely think there should be a couple of weeks break in January, plus the expansion of the league.  But we won't get expansion of the league because the smaller teams enjoy the financial benefits of two home games against each of the Infirm.  In fact, I'm not even sure Aberdeen would be keen on league expansion for this reason!?

Winter break will not work due to the unpredictable nature of our weather. The league should start earlier (not an option listed) so less midweek games are played in mid-winter.

Expansion may well be a good idea but will never happen as it mean less home games and/or more home games against diddy teams instead of the OF, Us, Hearts and Hibs who all take decent supports to most grounds.  Although nobody travels well to aberdeen our home crowd would suffer if we had more home games against the likes of Hamilton rather than United or Hearts.

Only real change in structure would be a play-off place.  SPL 2 would effectively kill off the SFL

Winter break will not work due to the unpredictable nature of our weather. The league should start earlier (not an option listed) so less midweek games are played in mid-winter.

Expansion may well be a good idea but will never happen as it mean less home games and/or more home games against diddy teams instead of the OF, Us, Hearts and Hibs who all take decent supports to most grounds.  Although nobody travels well to aberdeen our home crowd would suffer if we had more home games against the likes of Hamilton rather than United or Hearts.

Only real change in structure would be a play-off place.  SPL 2 would effectively kill off the SFL

Why would we get more home games against the likes of Hamilton?  If the league expands we'd get less home games against all the teams surely?

I assume what Glasgow Sheep is getting at, is more home games against teams with travelling supports similar to that of Hamilton's i.e. insignificant numbers.

yes instead of games vs celtic, rangers, hearts and hibs we have games vs partick thistle, ross county, QotS and Raith Rovers

Look out the "sold out" signs for those games

Wouldn't the smaller teams see their folowing grow though?

I'd think the reason their crowds are insignificant is that they are bored of watching each team 4 times a year. In the case of small clubs that means a smaller proportion of games they are likely to win and so the fickle fans see an excuse not to go. Aberdeen might be less of an attractive place to visit twice, but a good trip once a season. So whereas person A opts of out Pitt game 1 and person B opts out of game 2, with only 1 trip to Pitt the two are more likely to attend.

I'm not saying attendences would double or reach the OF twice a season level but I think it would increase as time goes on. Also more teams means more rivalries. Ness and Ross would potentially take as many people to Pitt as Hibs no?

Wouldn't the smaller teams see their folowing grow though?

I'd think the reason their crowds are insignificant is that they are bored of watching each team 4 times a year. In the case of small clubs that means a smaller proportion of games they are likely to win and so the fickle fans see an excuse not to go. Aberdeen might be less of an attractive place to visit twice, but a good trip once a season. So whereas person A opts of out Pitt game 1 and person B opts out of game 2, with only 1 trip to Pitt the two are more likely to attend.

I'm not saying attendences would double or reach the OF twice a season level but I think it would increase as time goes on. Also more teams means more rivalries. Ness and Ross would potentially take as many people to Pitt as Hibs no?

A tend to agree with this. Just last season I went down to Hamilton, just because i'd never been there before. See also, Hull this season, and St. Johnstone in a few weeks.

Expanded league is a must in my eyes. If there's less chance of relegation for some of the smaller SPL teams, it might encourage them to play more football, and not just defend for 90 mins and play hoof ball, just so they can play the OF twice a season.

Summer football? YES. I'm yet to hear a convincing argument against it.

on the flip side of an expanded league you're likely to get a lot more games towards the end of the season where nothing is at stake.

I'd like to see a bigger league, but i'm not sure it's viable.

True dat. A bigger league would see a number of teams who are delighted not to be relegated, but don't have the talent or resouces to kick on for the top 6/4 (see: Premiership, The). Plus there is always the issue of number of games. Unless we expand to at least 18 teams, I can't see there being enough league games to satisfy clubs used to 38 league games a season, barring an expansion of the cups, which probably isn't feasible.

I do however think there is an increasingly attractive case for summer football.

on the flip side of an expanded league you're likely to get a lot more games towards the end of the season where nothing is at stake.

I'd like to see a bigger league, but i'm not sure it's viable.

I do worry about the 'nothing at stake' games but like dave says, it could free teams up to put on a more entertaining, attacking display since there's no added pressure.

The other thing about the end of the season is that it's also a motivation to get along and enjoy it while you can since the summer is dull without any games.

I do worry about the 'nothing at stake' games but like dave says, it could free teams up to put on a more entertaining, attacking display since there's no added pressure.

That'd be an obvious plus side, but is it going to bring more people out to watch it? Not necessarily, and that's what the bigwigs will take into account.

It never works that way anyway, when we finished in the bottom 6 we ended up winning 4 out of the last 5 games, it was totally meaningless and the standard of football did not miraculously improve as a result of teams having nothing to play for.

A tend to agree with this. Just last season I went down to Hamilton, just because i'd never been there before. See also, Hull this season, and St. Johnstone in a few weeks.

Expanded league is a must in my eyes. If there's less chance of relegation for some of the smaller SPL teams, it might encourage them to play more football, and not just defend for 90 mins and play hoof ball, just so they can play the OF twice a season.

Summer is for bbqs, tennis, picnics, beaches, holidays and sunbathing  :thumbsup:

Id say some of the best things they could do would be

1) to drop this stupid minimum stadium capacity rule for that has been a major factor in fucking clubs up over the last 10 years.

If Standing isnt an option then just make it yer stadium has to be all seated. If that means you only get 3000 seats then so be it. Just make sure you get yer tickets early. Only 5 SPL clubs get 10,000 or more at their home games. Rest range from 3000 - 7000.

Most of the 1st division clubs are struggling to get 2000 at their games so to insist they have to suddenly provide 6000 seats they will only fill when the green and blue priks come calling is ridiculous. That rule was set up soley to appease the old firm.

2) A choice between grass with underoil heating or decent astroturf pitches. Making hamilton rip up theirs was ludicrous IMO and it lost them quite a large source of income (and yet the SPL claim they have their clubs interests at heart?). If the Russians and scandinavians can play on them then theres no reason why scotland shouldnt.

and the playoff is a must. If you cant have 2 automatic relegation spots then id make the playoff teams be those finishing in 10th & 11th in the SPL and 2nd & 3rd in the 1st. Draw the semis out of a hat too with 2 leg semis with the teams drawn at random and the final played at say Mcdiarmed Park or Airdries stadium (larger venue if required but NEVER hampden)

and the playoff is a must. If you cant have 2 automatic relegation spots then id make the playoff teams be those finishing in 10th & 11th in the SPL and 2nd & 3rd in the 1st. Draw the semis out of a hat too with 2 leg semis with the teams drawn at random and the final played at say Mcdiarmed Park or Airdries stadium (larger venue if required but NEVER hampden)

SPL is a joke of a league. Nobody but the Old Firm will ever win it. And the team in last place has a monkey's chance of not being relegated!

I agree with your first point. Part of the problem with the SPL is the lack of turnover in clubs.  It's always enjoyable going to a new ground or a ground you haven't been to for years and definitely encourages more people to travel.  I think the only real way to do that though is to increase the relegation/promotion spots. 

I'm not convinced that a bigger league will make the football more entertaining or enjoyable.  I'm sure QotS vs Ross County is much more likely to get a reasonable crowd in and generate some excitmemtb as a promiotion battle rather than a lower-mid table game in the SPL.  I'm not entirely convinced that the football would be any better either, and in my view would probably be less exciting

I agree with your first point. Part of the problem with the SPL is the lack of turnover in clubs.  It's always enjoyable going to a new ground or a ground you haven't been to for years and definitely encourages more people to travel.  I think the only real way to do that though is to increase the relegation/promotion spots. 

I'm not convinced that a bigger league will make the football more entertaining or enjoyable.  I'm sure QotS vs Ross County is much more likely to get a reasonable crowd in and generate some excitmemtb as a promiotion battle rather than a lower-mid table game in the SPL.  I'm not entirely convinced that the football would be any better either, and in my view would probably be less exciting

Qots v Ross being more of a draw as a promotion match rather than of no consequence is valid certainly. Also though, I think that would be somewhat due to the ticket price for such a 1st div game being less than for that spl game.

If attendences and turnover at the end of a season are needed then maybe they should discount tickets for the lower mid-table type games. Or even offer a rewards scheme where if you attended x number of home games you get significant discounts for the last game or two.

It would be nice to see clubs do more to promote an away following in a similar way by subsidising their own allocation of tickets for the fans who pay through the club. (EDIT - obviously there isn't much incentive for the away club to subsidize their own fans' tickets since i don't think (?) they get any of the profit from gate receipts. But I suppose there's some incentive for the home club to subsidize the tickets for their opposition's fans if it makes them more money over all.)

Obviously I'm not a financial whizz though so how much discount can be given without diminishing the profit I dunno. What I do know however is that the availability of student discounts is a significant factor for me and one reason why going to tic park in the league is not something I tend to do. £25 for that pish? fuck no.

And of course the lack of meaningful fixtures is to do with lack of euro places to fight for.

A bit off the wall maybe but how about something along the lines of what happens in many rugby tournaments where, say there's 16 teams and the top 4 are euro places, bottom 2 relegation, 3rd 4th bottom relegation play off but the teams 5th - 8th enter a knock out competition and so do the teams 9th - 12th. In rugby it's usually something like the 'vase' and the 'bowl'. Not exactly stellar competitions but better to win them than lose them.

That way at least there is seeding to play for throughought the league for as long as you can mathematically catch or be caught by someone.