Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dan Smith given another chance

Guest kilahun

Guest kilahun

Lets hope JC is correct because it will be like signing another new player for next season as he was fekn hopeless last season!!

-------------------

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has told Dan Smith he faces the Pittodrie exit if he does not 'sharpen up' his attitude.

Smith joined Aberdeen from Sunderland in August 2006, but the 20-year-old has made only four first-team starts in his year in Scotland.

Calderwood admits this forced him to tell the defender to consider his future at the club.

"I warned him at the end of last season that he'd better have a good think about what's happening over the summer," Calderwood told The Daily Record.

"I've seen it so often in the past with players who have all the ability in the world but don't make it because they don't have the other qualities needed.

"Smith has been told he must sharpen up, he had the right approach at Sunderland but that hasn't been evident here.

"I never had any doubts about his football ability but he has got to get up to the pace of the game and the mentality you need to be successful in the Scottish Premier League.

"To be honest I think I am seeing a different player in pre-season training now and one that is much more like the one I signed for the club."

I know that Zdrilic turned down a far more lucrative move to Korea when Ian Porterfield was in charge of Busan I'cons here in order to sign for Aberdeen - he said he wanted to join the Dons in order to have a better chance of getting noticed and back into the international set-up, so in theory he joined us for the right reasons.

Don't think I ever saw him play for us other than via the internet...

Yeah. He was an awesome striker! Seriously, he holds the record for being Australia's top international scorer by scoring 8 goals in one match. Yeah, okay so this match was versus American Samoa, but still! A goal every 11 minutes ain't bad by anyone's standards. And I remember Oshor Williams speaking to DandyDon and saying the management team back then had kept faith with Zdrillic because he was easily the most clinical striker the club had ... he was just quite depressed with the way his Aberdeen career had gone, and that had a knockon effect upon his footballing ability

Guest Johnny Mac

I'm in Sydney the end of this month.

And ther eis a game on, i'll go give him some abuse.

He was a total donkey for us. Useless.

Guest kilahun

During warm ups i would always watch in amazement how Stewart would finish.  He was the only guy in the warm ups that would reguarly hit the back of the net the rest u were ducking for cover!!

Paying someone like we did with Billy Dodds to get rid of Stewart would've been a fantastic piece of business.

I'm glad we're rid of wasters like Stewart, Muirhead, Morrison, the Young brothers and Rutkiewicz. We've been churning out real shite for a few years now, and like shite to a bear's fur, they tend to cling on to us for ages.

Guest kilahun

I was at party in glasgow last year and a bit and i always remember this dolly burd boasting that her boyfriend was Rutkiewicz, fink he was playing for st johnstone or sumfn and he was claiming to be our captain or vice captain  when he was with us!! lol

Guest worldslastgunslinger

O'Donoghue, thats a name i had forgotten.  ???

I remember during ebbes pissed up era reading that he was far and away the most talented player on the books.  Then it was Bagshaw, who was once described by some scout for Chelsea as 'scotlands wayne rooney'

Some people just aren't successful at anything they do, regardless of ability, because of lifestyle, attitude and outlook.

I see ricky gillies has signed for stranraer after a spell in New Zealand.  He always reminds me of that gold and black strip and us being god awful.

Oh my God. Gillies couldnae make it in New Zealand???!!! Says it all really!!! My wife's old school pal is dating a guy from Brazil. He's never played professional football in his life, and indeed he'd rather surf than play football. But he's getting a game for Hawkes Bay United just now, the team that Ricky Gillies failed to make an impact at.

If he can't make it at a mid-table club in New Zealand, he's got no hope anywhere!!!! Wake up and smell the coffee Gillies, you once were thought to be quite good at football. But in actual fact you'd probably be best looking at a joinery apprenticeship instead.

Guest worldslastgunslinger

I once worked with a woman who's daughter dated Ricky G.  The relationship apparently broke down because he 'enjoyed a good smoke'. :-\

Not that I'm gossiping or anything