Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Community service for dons players

Aberdeen FC boss imposes community serviceMcGhee’s punishment plan for booked players 

Published:12/12/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today claimed a new punishment regime will help clean up his players’ act.

Aberdeen FC   launched the disciplinary system after suffering five sending-offs in their last five games.

From this afternoon’s SPL clash against Hamilton, anyAberdeen FC player receiving a booking or red card will have to docommunity work in their own time.

McGhee said: “If the players give away fouls and get booked there is now some sort of punishment at the end of it.

“It was 100% my idea and is not something I have done before.

“I just felt very strongly that we have to show theauthorities, the SFA and the fans, we recognise we have aresponsibility in this.

“I am not prepared to fine the players, so I had to come up with another way of making a strong statement.â€

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

I thought they'd be doing some hard graft, but "community service" for Miller, Wright and De Grassi involved helping in a kids coaching school at the Sports Village.  :-\

(pictures and story in today's EE)

On the AFC Site too:

Dons players do  23.12.2009Lee Miller, Tommy Wright and Davide Grassi were the first to take part in Community service this afternoon (Wednesday), under Mark McGhee's new disciplinary system at Aberdeen.

Thethree players in question were forced to give up one hour of their timeafter being booked against Hamilton Accies earlier this month.

Onthis ocassion the trio attended the Dons in the Community FootballFestival at Aberdeen Sports Village. Striker Tommy Wright said: "It isgood that we can give something back to the community at large.

"None of the players want to be booked or sent off but, if we are, then we know our time will be going to good use.

"We know how much work goes on in the community department at the club and it is great that we can help out in this way."The Community Service initiative introduced by Mark McGhee isextra work on top of the player appearances and the work the players doalready for the Community and Commercial departments at the club eachweek.

Dons in the Community Review of the Year please click here

RedImages photos Newsline Scotland

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting fed up of this

what exactly is Mcghee saying to them in the halftime talks?

Is this some sort of revolutionary new training idea 'if ya can win games with 10 then you will win leagues with 11???'

Apparently:

"I told them not to get involved..."

some of them obviously struggle to understand that.

Aberdeen FC players have left McGhee with no choice

Boss will fine his bad boys

By Sean Wallace

Published: 05/01/2010

MARK McGhee today blamed his own players for forcing him to introduce a fines system.

The Aberdeen FC boss claimed a seventh red card of the season has left him with no choice but to hit his players in the pocket for the first time in his 19-year managerial career.

He said: “I have to make the Aberdeen FC players see sense. The red cards must stop. I feel so strongly about it I have introduced fines.

“This is the first time in my managerial career I have ever fined players like this.â€

• 3 months later...
Aberdeen FC bad boys’ red card shame

McGhee’s fury after pair sent off

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 03/05/2010

ABERDEEN FC bad boys Richard Foster and Zander Diamond were today warned they will be hammered by the club for getting sent off in the 3-1 defeat by Hamilton.

Furious boss Mark McGhee described the antics of the duo as ‘disgraceful’ and confirmed both will be fined as well as forced to carry out some community service.

Foster and Diamond are now banned from Wednesday’s SPL clash with Kilmarnock at Pittodrie.