Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Disciplinary record

Seems we have hit a run of finishing each game with at least 1 player sent off. Is it a case of a new harder edge to the squad?

Aberdeen - 2008/2009 5 red cards  (1 every 7.6 games) (Joint 3rd worst)

58 Yellow cards (1.53 per match) (9th worst in SPL)

2009/2010 5 Red Cards (1 every 2.8 games) (3rd worst in SPL)

29 Yellow cards (2.07 per match) (joint worst in SPL with Hibs)

or is it the case that referees are getting too card happy?

SPL totals

2008/2009 38 rounds of matches - 54 red Cards (1.4 red cards each round)

752 Yellow Cards (19 yellow cards each round)

2009/2010  14 rounds of matches - 29 Red Cards (2.07 per round) (12 in the last 3 weeks)

291 yellow cards (20.8 yellow cards each round)

(arabs vs huns still to be played too)

Perhaps a new prediction league should be set up for 'whos going to be sent off this week?'

I honestly think ref's are trying to make some sort of point as a lot of the bookings this season (not just for us) have been utterly ludicrous. They're also getting far too much protection with this ban on criticism. Players, coaches, managers right up the club chairmen can all be lambasted publicly for their failings, so why not the referees? They have to be publicly called into question for their shambolic performances this season.

Looking at red cards this season for Aberdeen and other teams in the SPL it seems to me that refs are getting increasingly card happy.

There are yellow cards often given in the SPL for challenges that in England for example are only free kicks.

Looking at red cards this season for Aberdeen and other teams in the SPL it seems to me that refs are getting increasingly card happy.

There are yellow cards often given in the SPL for challenges that in England for example are only free kicks.

Completely agree here. Whilst Ifil's red card vs Celtic was totally deserved, the second yellow for Kerr vs Rangers was NEVER a bookable offense. It was a standard tackle that could've been successful, had no malice in it, and did not stop a certain goal from occurring ... why then did he get booked? Is there no official appeal process we can go through to challenge the SFA refs' decisions?

Completely agree here. Whilst Ifil's red card vs Celtic was totally deserved, the second yellow for Kerr vs Rangers was NEVER a bookable offense. It was a standard tackle that could've been successful, had no malice in it, and did not stop a certain goal from occurring ... why then did he get booked? Is there no official appeal process we can go through to challenge the SFA refs' decisions?

Can only appeal red cards. Yellows cannot be appealed unless you are claiming mistaken identity.

Huge Dallas was our last decent ref, but he's now supposed to be in charge of the current lot, and is making a James Hunt of it.

In saying that, Ifil was an eejit yesterday.

Dallas was an ok ref, but his problem was he wanted to be Scotland's answer to Collina and that in turn has led to a bigger problem for the game now as they all seem to have a "look at me" attitude when it comes to reffing, which Dallas certainly had in his last couple of seasons as a ref.  Until that attitude is dispensed of, we'll keep seeing yellows and reds dished out for the equivalent of fuck all.

There was a definite gulf between Dallas and what we have now, that much is blatantly obvious. That said, it's time to remove some of the protection that refs have and allow questions to be asked publicly. Peoples livelihoods are being damaged by their inability to perform.

As someone mentioned before, if anyone else was in a job making that many mistakes, some sort of action would be taken.

As someone mentioned before, if anyone else was in a job making that many mistakes, some sort of action would be taken.

Well aye, but hopefully I get another job soon.  :-\

Seriously though, I'm taking application forms for McDonalds to the next game I attend and I'll be handing them to the officials.

Dallas was an ok ref, but his problem was he wanted to be Scotland's answer to Collina and that in turn has led to a bigger problem for the game now as they all seem to have a "look at me" attitude when it comes to reffing, which Dallas certainly had in his last couple of seasons as a ref.  Until that attitude is dispensed of, we'll keep seeing yellows and reds dished out for the equivalent of fuck all.

Totally agree about the look at me attitude.

So many times there's been a free kick given and the ref feels the need to rush over before anything happens even when the players haven't shown a sign of having a go with each other.

The refs this season have been an utter disgrace, throughout the league.

We've been on the wrong end of some astoundingly pish decisions, aside from Ifil's idiocy, but there is clearly something amiss with the manner in which refs are brandishing cards for ridiculous reasons. As much as it was fucking brilliant, the decision to send off Michael Stewart yesterday was the whole thing beautifully encapsulated, a nonsense decision.

I agree to an extent that refs seem to be having a "look at me look at me" episode but it's resulting in refs undermining what little authority and respect they had, that and folk now looking at them more than ever and saying "I've looked, yer a cunt". 

Every year you think you are watching the worst refereeing performance you have ever seen but year on year they top it.  Every club in the SPL will be fined for poor discipline at this rate.......maybe that's the plan.

Useful site for SPL refs.  Amazingly some haven't sent anybody off!  http://www.splrefs.com/All-Refs/All-Referees-Cards.php?TeamID=&TeamName=All+Refs&sort=RedAvg

EDIT: Bloody hell check Steve Conroy: 8 Games 45 Yellows and 4 Reds!

Pretty decent idea from McGhee imo:

Mark McGhee - time out for indisiplined players 11.12.2009

Dons take innovative approach to on field sinners

In response to the disciplinary record this season, and to demonstrate the clubs acceptance of the players and managements role in maintaining a high level of discipline on the field, Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee has introduced a new system of punishment at Pittodrie.

Mark McGhee said: "As a manager I have never operated a system of fiscal punishment. I do however believe that we have to support the authorities in cleaning up our game and improving discipline on the field of play.

"I've never been a manager who felt it was fair to fine players money. I don't think we have any right to do that. I felt we had to come up with something that is strong on the players, but also gives a little something back as well.

"With this objective in mind I have introduced a system of fines based on the players own private time. It has the full backing of the players. The system will be a 'Work in the Community' exercise which will require the players to participate where required in projects in the greater community.

"I don't want people to misunderstand what I'm saying. We're not about to send players out to dig up roads and sweep the streets, but players will be asked to give up an increasing amount of their own time - based on a first caution, red card, first suspension, second suspension and so on.

"I've spoken to our 'Dons in the Community' department as well as our commercial team who are in touch with the police and other organisations throughout the city.

"If there's a situation where, for instance, they have something on (like a coaching session or a seminar) and they think one of our players could help them then the player who's had a red or yellow card will go along.

"We don't want suspensions as has been the case on five or six separate occasions already this season. So we've decided to try to put down a strong message to show we're supporting the authorities.

"I feel strongly that it's a two way street, obviously the authorities have a responsibility to the referee, but we as clubs have a responsibility to make sure our players are doing everything they can to play within the laws of the game.

"It won't be retrospective punishment. It will come in to force for tomorrow's game with Hamilton.

"It's important to remember that this is extra work on top of what they already do for the Community and Commercial departments at the club. There are many different player appearances organised by marketing team each week."