Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pele's book

Anyone read it yet?

Was interested to read that Paterson wanted to sign Scott McDonald when he was at Southampton, but Gordon Strachan (then Southampton manager) warned Pele aginst it due to his bad attitude. Pele also tried to sign Barry Robson from Inverness but couldn't do the deal, as Utd offered double what we were, and for a longer contract.

To be fair to him, he did some good deals like Heikkinen, Michael Hart, Scott Booth (well maybe not so good) and he claims that his predecessor Ebbe Skovdahl was able to offer wages of up to £4,000 a week, while he was only allowed to offer £1,000  a week.

Also thought it funny how he described both the Young brothers as a 'spent force', and here is one of them playing the game of his life against the huns just a couple of days ago. Funny old game. My overall impression of him though was that managing at Premier League Level was just a step too far for him, a job which was pretty much impossible anyway given the money and time he was spending at the bookies.

Paterson never wanted to sign Heikkinen and only did so after a lot of persuading by Shearer.  In the time Paterson was there, he only spoke to Heikkinen twice, both times it was to tell him he was shit.

I thought Booth was excellent for us that season, played the game with an intelligence way beyond the majority of his team mates... which is a bit unfortunate for all concerned.

Paterson never wanted to sign Heikkinen and only did so after a lot of persuading by Shearer.  In the time Paterson was there, he only spoke to Heikkinen twice, both times it was to tell him he was shit.

I'm not having a go at yout but I find that totally unbelievable. I appreciate the Pele was a mess but not talking to a player that he put in the team most weeks even tho he thought he was "shit"? Would love to know how you know that.

I'm not having a go at yout but I find that totally unbelievable. I appreciate the Pele was a mess but not talking to a player that he put in the team most weeks even tho he thought he was "shit"? Would love to know how you know that.

I'm sure you would love to know how I know that  :wave:

I don't actually believe he thought he was shit, Paterson didn't like the guy. More to do with personalities than professional opinion, I'd say.

I'm sure you would love to know how I know that  :wave:

I don't actually believe he thought he was shit, Paterson didn't like the guy. More to do with personalities than professional opinion, I'd say.

Don't think anyone really cares how you know that, or why you think you know that, to be honest.

I can well imagine the two didn't get on, though. Heikkinen was a quiet, modest guy, who probably only went out drinking once in a blue moon. Pele wanted to be pissed before and after every game. I'm sure he would have liked to have been pissed during the games a lot of the time as well... Pele had treated himself as one of the lads for his 15 years of management before arriving at Pittodrie, and he probably didn't get on with those that wouldn't have a laugh and a drink with him. Pretty sad really, even for an alcoholic.

or why you think you know that

Yeah, I'm imagining it all... ::)

Had to laugh at Paterson saying his strength as a manager was man-management rather than tactics and the like, obviously forgetting about the time he told a young player all week he'd be playing on the Saturday only to forget to tell him he'd changed his mind come 2pm on matchday...

I thought Booth was excellent for us that season, played the game with an intelligence way beyond the majority of his team mates... which is a bit unfortunate for all concerned.

Absolutely, I thought he was our best player and was gutted when he wasn't kept on.  He seemed to come back from his European adventures as some sort of Teddy Sheringham type.  Just my thoughts.

Rougvie was immense. Snelders was immense. Charlie Nic was immense. As good as he was, I wouldn't put Heikennen in the same category as these players. Don't get me wrong, he was good. But I think he was made to look even better than he really was because he had people like Rutkiewicz, Muirhead, Morrison and Hinds in the same team as him.

And Pele's comments regarding Skovdahl's wage offers are unfair. Remember, Skovdahl was in charge of the club before, during and after the collapse of ITV-Digital. That collapse was felt right across the UK, regardless of the fact that Scotland was not a part of the ITV-Digital deal. But prior to the collapse, there's no reason why Skovdahl wouldn't have been able to offer £4k deals to the likes of Stavrum, Bisconti and Anderson. But "Pele" was probably too pissed to work that bit out.