Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Ruaidhri Higgins

Aberdeen FC trialist has not had wage for 12 weeks

Midfielder desperate for deal at Pittodrie

By Sean Wallace

Published: 01/12/2009

IRISH trialist Ruaidhri Higgins is desperate to earn a deal with Aberdeen FC and end three months of hell.

Midfielder Higgins has gone 12 weeks without being paid by Derry City.

Crisis-hit Derry have been plunged into administration and expelled from the League of Ireland for breaking contractual rules.

Now a free agent after the Irish FA announced every player on Derry’s books can quit the club for free, Higgins, 25, is going all-out to impress Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee.

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

200px-Rhiggins.JPG

Higgins began his career at the youth club, Newtown Y.F.C. before being signed by Coventry City F.C. Higgins signed for Derry after being released by Coventry City F.C.. Former Coventry manager, Gary McAllister was a keen fan when at Highfield Road, and Derry beat off several clubs to secure his signature.

His distribution and intelligent play immediately caught the eye after he made his debut at home against Drogheda Unitedon 14 October, 2004. He has produced a number of impressive displaysfor his club and his ability to produce defence-splitting passes, aswell as controlling the midfield, is a key attribute.

McCourt and the other dude at Celtic (is it McGinn ?) both came from Derry as did Conor Sammon at Killie I think.

I have a friend who is a ST holder at the Brandywell (or was!) who reckons he is a lazy player who is not up to SPL standard. More of a break up midfielder than an attacking one. Decent distribution but not willing to get about the park.

• 2 weeks later...
"It looked as if Aberdeen would happen, but now it seems that it hasfallen through. That is a real kick in the teeth, it's very hard totake," Higgins told the Herald.

"I had gone over there (to Aberdeen) for a week's trial, I did well andthey asked me to come back for a second week, when I did well again. Ireally felt part of things there, I travelled with the squad to Glasgowfor the game with Celtic, I was at the game and, even in the dressingroom at Parkhead, the club seemed really happy with me.

"I was told by Aberdeen that there would be the offer of a short-termcontract and after that it would be up to me to show I was worthy of along-term deal.

"I came back to Derry and Aberdeen were supposed to get in touch withmy agent. But there has been no contact, that was two weeks ago now andI just have to assume that the deal is dead in the water. It's veryhard to take as things were tough enough already," added Higgins, whojoined home-town club Derry in 2004 after a spell with Coventry.

Quite possible that MM is just weighing up his options before offering anyone anything rather than it being totally dead.