Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pawlett for Scotland

Maybe I missed this elsewhere but our young English loon has been selected for Scotland under the "Andy Driver" rule.

Pawlett, Smith and Maguire

ABERDEEN starlet Peter Pawlett has become only the second player to be selected for Scotland under the new schooling rule.

The 18 year old has been called up for this month's Uefa Under 19 Challenge Match with Germany on Wednesday 18th November in Paderborn. The midfielder, who was born in Hull, has lived in Scotland for the majority of his life after moving to Banchory, Aberdeenshire with his family.

FIFA recently gave its approval to an agreement that permits a British passport holder who has been educated for at least five years in one of the Home Nations to play for that country.

Dons under 19 left back Stirling Smith has also been included in the squad for the upcoming match. Meanwhile striker Chris Maguire has been called up by Scotland Under 21's for their Euro Championship qualifier against Azerbaijan in Baku on Saturday 14th November.

Not sure I agree with the idea of English boys playing for Scotland regardless of where they were raised. That said Pawlett is a great young player and any exposure for the Dons is a good thing so i'm happy with this osne  :thumbsup:

I also don't agree with the principle of those dirty foreigners playing for our team, however, i'm ok with someone who's lived their whole life in Scotland but just happened to be born somewhere else playing for us (see: Maloney, S.)

Not happy with players with no scots blood line playing for Scotland. Sort of defeats the purpose of a national team. Can understand making an exception for the young lad from Celtic who is here as a refugee but Pawlett and Driver are English and the only thing stopping them representing their country is that they are not good enough.

Touchy subject this one. I see no problem if they start at a younger level like Pawlett is as this shows they do wish to play for Scotland IMO.

However if they decide they wish to play for us at senior level based on the fact that they are not good enough to play for the nation of their birth then they should be told to take a long walk off of a short pier.

Not happy with players with no scots blood line playing for Scotland. Sort of defeats the purpose of a national team. Can understand making an exception for the young lad from Celtic who is here as a refugee but Pawlett and Driver are English and the only thing stopping them representing their country is that they are not good enough.

Has Pawlett not lived in Scotland most of his life though? Who's to say he doesn't feel as Scottish as you or I?

Touch of xenophobia creeping into most posts here.

Is it a case of if you are from somalia aye that's ok but not if you are English?

Didn't the lad Baltacha get a game for the under 21s?

He was apparently born in Kiev, his dad played for the USSR and his mum was a soviet pentathlete.

What made him eligible for Scotland?

Not sure what made him eligible but would have had the same opinion. International football is bound to have a bit of xenophobia attached to it, its all about being proud of your own nation and the rest of it. Don't think folk are wrong to expect the Scottish national team to be made up of Scotsmen. The question I guess as someone said above is who decides what a Scotsman is, for me its blood line and its about where your from but with Pawlett there's a case for saying he was brought up in Scotland his whole life, perhaps more of a Scot than someone born in Aberdeen but brought up in England? Not sure.

If he happened to be born in Holland or Spain or France no one would care.  It's the fact he was born in England a lot of folk aren't happy with this. 

And before anyone says that's incorrect... cast your mind back to when Aberdeen had the audacity to put a picture of Sone Aluko in his England u-19 shirt on the front cover of the match programme.  The reaction of some was frighteningly myopic.

Excellent performance today, fully deserved to be MOTM.

Shocking decision to sub him (unless he was injured of course).  We lost all our drive going forward when he went off.

Every time I've seen him play he's looked impressive. Problems when we're relying on teenagers to drive on our otherwise lethargic midfield.

Excellent performance today, fully deserved to be MOTM.

Shocking decision to sub him (unless he was injured of course).  We lost all our drive going forward when he went off.

Hopefully not injured, he has been out for a few weeks and with his all action playing style I hope its just a case of trying to protect him  :thumbsup:

If he happened to be born in Holland or Spain or France no one would care.  It's the fact he was born in England a lot of folk aren't happy with this. 

And before anyone says that's incorrect... cast your mind back to when Aberdeen had the audacity to put a picture of Sone Aluko in his England u-19 shirt on the front cover of the match programme.  The reaction of some was frighteningly myopic.

No I would still be of the same opinion. What is the point of international football if people with no blood tie can play for a country just because they have lived there for a while. Be as well as scrapping international football and just having league selects.

No I would still be of the same opinion. What is the point of international football if people with no blood tie can play for a country just because they have lived there for a while. Be as well as acrapping international football and just having league selects.

If the boy has stayed here most of his life then he probably feels as Scottish as you or the guy you'll sit next to at Hampden.  he'd likely feel more Scottish than say, Nigel Quashie.