Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

As a lifelong Aberdeen fan......

As a lifelong Aberdeen fan......could you plough millions into another club down the road and into a club which have strong hun tendencies?

I couldn't and wouldn't.

It just makes me wonder how true some of the media reports are that Calum Melville has been a lifetime dons fan....

thumbnail.aspx?refId=2074627&refRef=img&style=full

As a lifelong Aberdeen fan......could you plough millions into another club down the road and into a club which have strong hun tendencies?

I couldn't and wouldn't.

It just makes me wonder how true some of the media reports are that Calum Melville has been a lifetime dons fan....

I couldn't care if he's a Dons fan or not. What I do know is that he has behaved like a complete fanny this week.

I would say that he's an egomaniac.  Too much of it has come across as "look at me, look at me". 

He has suggested previously that he couldn't afford to buy the Dons, and then suggested that he could do without the hassle of being involved at Aberdeen.  If he couldn't afford to buy us, then surely he would just be an investor with perhaps a place on the board?  What hassle would that have brought? Would it lump all of Milne's horrendous decisions from over the years squarely at his feet? Of course it wouldn't. 

He could also have chosen to invest in the club annonymously.

All of it points to him wanting to be a media focal point. I could never invest in another football club but that's just a personal feeling.  Paulinho is correct in that the man is a businessman first and foremost, but I'd also suggest there are  far better ways of investing your money.  Dundee FC is a plaything for him, it puts his name and face in the limelight which probably won't harm his other business interests.

@mizer - You seem to forget he's a businessman first and foremost, football fan second.

If it's a business decision to invest in Dundee, he can't be a very astute businessman.

The only thing investing in Dundee will do that investing in Aberdeen will not (at the levels he is) is increase the amount of column inches devoted to him, rather than "his" club. As BB says he is an Egomaniac and if he's not he certainly comes across as someone desperate for attention.

I think every football fan would dream of investing in "their" club I certainly couldn't imagine investing in, even Cheltenham Town a second team for me. Even though it would be far more accessible financially.

I suspect he's not wealthy enough to buy out wiggy, so picked a club he could afford to buy and then splash out on. Could just as easily been Cove or Forfar or anyone.....

And he's not actually spent the supposed £500 000 on Robertson yet......

Maybe it's his version of "I've got a Porsche, so shag me girls"?

@baggy89 - I fully expect this to blow up in his face with him having lost money but I wouldn't yet say it's a bad business decision as Dundee have no debt and with the right investment he could easily pull them back up to the SPL.

If it is just a plaything and a way to spend his riches then I've got no gripe with him spending his fortune how he wants to.  Wealth doesn't always directly correlate with common sense.

This would explain why he chose not to get involved with Aberdeen as there would no doubt be hassle in this role.  Look at the flak Stewart Milne receives for not investing his fortune in the club, he clearly doesn't want that.

Fans here are rightly aggrieved that a so-called lifelong fan has chosen to spend his wealth at another Scottish club but it makes a lot of sense to be honest.

Being a lifelong Dons fan I would not have taken this decision and I would agree that this guy is an egomaniac who needs to be big cog in a small wheel. However, if I had a chance to rubber dick UTD then I might be inclined to play for a bit  8)

As I said on the other thread, it just stinks of him being an egomaniac. There are ways on investing our club, but because he wouldn't be "the big man" it didn't suit him. As an Aberdeen fan, I could never invest in a team like Dungdeh despite the opportunity to piss of the arab barstewards :D

Guest fatshaft

I suspect he's not wealthy enough to buy out wiggy, so picked a club he could afford to buy and then splash out on. Could just as easily been Cove or Forfar or anyone.....

And he's not actually spent the supposed £500 000 on Robertson yet......

Maybe it's his version of "I've got a Porsche, so shag me girls"?

This plus BB's post is 100% on the money imo. His excuse that he didn't want the hassle was a cover for not being able to afford to buy out Wiggy, nothing more and nothing less.

I couldn't and wouldn't.

I don't have a very high opinion of this cunt. Ultimately it's his money and Dundee will be delighted to have him. I reckon he's a fanny.