Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mulgrew contract talks

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/129765/Exclusive-New-deal-for-Dons-star-Mulgrew-

ABERDEEN manager Mark McGhee has opened contract talks with top star Charlie Mulgrew.

The Dons boss has moved to lift the Co-operative Insurance Cup gloom by trying to thrash out an extension with his goal getting left back.

Former Celtic youngster Mulgrew is out of contract in the summer and McGhee is desperate to get him to extend his Pittodrie stay.

The 23-year-old has been a stand-out since he joined Aberdeen from Wolves at the start of last season.

His trademark free kicks, which have seen him net three times this season, have made him a big part of McGhee's plans and a big favourite at Pittodrie.

McGhee has now paved the way and has now left director of football Willie Miller to thrash out the financial side of things.

McGhee, who takes his team to Ibrox on Saturday, said: "We have spoken to Charlie and his representative and the initial signs are positive.

"We will now go back to Charlie with a concrete proposal over the next few days.

"That is the process started and I plan to talk to the agents of several other players over the coming weeks."

The Aberdeen boss is for talks with Gary McDonald and Mark Kerr although some have still to convince him they should have a long-term future.

Kerr deserves nothing atm, but I would say we need to get Mulgrew on a deal. He is one of the few actually scoring goals, and is dangerous from set pieces. Yes his defending is borderline schoolgirl but maybe pushed up further forward we might reep more rewards from him. Sign him up.

I must say, I'm more disappointed with McDonald than Kerr this season. I really thought that he was the man to fill Bazza's shoes, but he's been completely anonymous this season. Showed a lot of promise last season. :(

@mizer - All three should be kept to be honest, I think they're all good players who admittedly have more to offer in a settled squad and formation.  If McGhee was to decide on a squad of around 20-25 players I for one would be happy if they all had a place in it.

Part of the problem is the lack of competition for places.

@quirie - Is that taking into account their performances last season as well as this season?  Mulgrew hasn't been great for us bar his goals and set-pieces although he clearly has potential and is still young.

I thought he was decent enough last year. Went through a dodgy spell but other than that was OK.

I have a little feeling that this could just be a pivotal moment in McGhee's managerial career at the good ship AFC. Don't really know why, but just kind of think that if he can tie up Mulgrew on new contract with the minimum of fuss it might just send out a positive vibe about us and allow us to kick on.

Then again, all I've posted above might just be a load of keich

This thread typifies the myopia amongst supporters.

We are 5 games into a league season. Granted Kerr and MacDonald have not covered themselves in glory but they have not just become shit players in 6-7 weeks.

In the latter part of last season this thread would have said keep Kerr and MacDonald and bin that lazy bastard Mulgrew. Suddenly, after a few decent performances from Mulgrew and some awful ones from Kerr and MacDonald people want them binned. Some people need to start looking at the long game here. Its laughable the hysteria that a few bad results can create.

We are 5 games into a league season. Granted Kerr and MacDonald have not covered themselves in glory but they have not just become shit players in 6-7 weeks.

In the latter part of last season this thread would have said keep Kerr and MacDonald and bin that lazy bastard Mulgrew. Suddenly, after a few decent performances from Mulgrew and some awful ones from Kerr and MacDonald people want them binned. Some people need to start looking at the long game here. Its laughable the hysteria that a few bad results can create.

nah man you're assuming everyone here is a twat. Id put it at more like 95%

edit - sorry never read your last line but I'll add that the smart money has been on kerr (and maybe macd but for me the jury's still oot) bein a talentless hairy cunt rag from day 1.

This has more to do with actually seeing the team performances get worse every week than it has to do with hysteria. Kerr and McDonald need to prove they're worth it, and right now they're far from it. Very few of the first team are. Mulgrew is saved by having such an incredible ability to hit a dead ball, if it wasn't for that he'd be playing in the bottom half of the first division.

This has more to do with actually seeing the team performances get worse every week than it has to do with hysteria. Kerr and McDonald need to prove they're worth it, and right now they're far from it. Very few of the first team are. Mulgrew is saved by having such an incredible ability to hit a dead ball, if it wasn't for that he'd be playing in the bottom half of the first division.

You may well be right and I don't dispute recent performance and the need to earn a new contract, tht goes without saying. However, if we are going to make judgements on the future of our squad structure after half a dozen performances that are inconsisitent with recent history then we might as well fit revolving doors at the club. There are few players, if any, who will not find themselves permanently sitting under the sword of damocles.

You may well be right and I don't dispute recent performance and the need to earn a new contract, tht goes without saying. However, if we are going to make judgements on the future of our squad structure after half a dozen performances that are inconsisitent with recent history then we might as well fit revolving doors at the club. There are few players, if any, who will not find themselves permanently sitting under the sword of damocles.

Essentially though Ajja, now is not the time for the club to be talking contract renewals.

Essentially though Ajja, now is not the time for the club to be talking contract renewals.

Or maybe now is the perfect time ? If we are to accept that Messrs Kerr and MacDonald have not suddenly unveiled themselves as turds in sheep's clothing (pardon the bastardisation of a metaphor!) then what better time to talk contracts. They will not be coming to the table with big demands. Charlie on the other hand, he will have inflated his own sense of self worth to no end after scoring a few free kicks and delivering some half respectable balls. I would still have Kerr and MacDonald in our squad, if not our first team because I believe they are good players. I might be proved wrong but I am glad that MM is planning to talk contracts now rather than wait until the eleventh hour. As Paulinho says, we have been looking for this activity for some time, surely lets applaud it ?

@El Padre - One of the major faults of Aberdeen FC in years gone by has been the apparent reluctance to negotiate new contracts earlier in the season yet you're now suggesting that they should not be doing this?  :(

That's exactly what I'm suggesting, Kerr and McDonald need to show they're worth it, no player should be offered a contract on the form they've shown. Unless they both score hat tricks today.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting, Kerr and McDonald need to show they're worth it, no player should be offered a contract on the form they've shown. Unless they both score hat tricks today.

Whilst I don't disagree that on current form those two are not worthy of a contract, but surely now the club (probably for the first time) holds all the cards? Players we know that can play better, but for one reason or another are not, their stock is low therefore, the club can claim they are not worth a better deal? I'd rather we sort things out sooner rather than later.

Whilst I don't disagree that on current form those two are not worthy of a contract, but surely now the club (probably for the first time) holds all the cards? Players we know that can play better, but for one reason or another are not, their stock is low therefore, the club can claim they are not worth a better deal? I'd rather we sort things out sooner rather than later.

If McDonald can knock out a few more performances like he did today then he's worth it, Kerr wasn't too hot again though.

If McDonald can knock out a few more performances like he did today then he's worth it, Kerr wasn't too hot again though.

Sounded like McDonald had a good game, was he playing wide in a midfield 4 ? Sounded like he was getting forward a bit more. Assume Fyvie and Kerr were holding the midfield. Hun midfield was a bit light weight so probably made it easier for them all.