Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Paton: Let me start boss

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1409668?UserKey=

Michael Paton believes that should Aberdeen become the first Dons side in a generation to beat Rangers at Ibrox on Saturday, it could provide the ideal catharsis.

The Dons players are on familiar ground this week after Dundee became the latest lower-league club to inflict a damaging cup defeat on the Reds.

Aberdeen’s 3-2 League Cup defeat at Dens Park may have taken place under the watch of new Dons management, but it was the same old story.

Aberdeen have succumbed to sides from outside the SPL in the last four seasons, with the names of Queen’s Park, Queen of the South and Dunfermline already enough to give Dons supporters sleepless nights even before the Dark Blues added to the nightmare.

The agonising quest for silverware goes on – but the immediate concern is rebuilding shattered confidence ahead of the visit to Ibrox.

Given that Aberdeen have not won at Ibrox since 1991, a jaunt to Govan looks appealing only to masochists.

But attacker Paton, who scored both of Aberdeen’s goals at Dens Park on Tuesday – and who provided one of the few bright spots on an otherwise bleak evening – does not view it that way.

The fearless youngster can see no better way of hastening the recovery process than ending the painful 18-year wait for victory at the home of the Dons’ bitter rivals.

He said: “Everyone is absolutely gutted about the Dundee result but we are going to have to accept the result as professionals.

“These things happen in football and we have to work harder in training to put it right.

“We have a really big game on Saturday and we are going to have to show the supporters we are up for it.

“Rangers are tough opposition, so they will really test us after this.

“We have to look at it as the best game possible for us right now because we can go out and take our frustrations out on them.

“Hopefully, we can get three points.â€

Despite the years of disappointment at Ibrox, Paton has fairly happy memories of playing at the stadium. He notched his first senior goal there last season.

After coming off the bench to grab a double at Dens on Tuesday night, he has his sights set on a start at Ibrox on Saturday – and he would love to get on the scoresheet again.

He said: “I have spoken to the manager and he has told me how well I am doing and what I need to do to get better.

“We will see what happens on Saturday. I am ready for selection.

“If I am not on from the start, I will be obviously disappointed.

“But if the manager decides to put me on the bench that is his decision.

“The last time I went to Ibrox, getting the goal was good from a personal point of view.

“It was a catch-up goal but, hopefully, this time I can get an important one that might give us three points.â€

After scoring twice on Tuesday he surely has to be first name down of any attacking player.

Good on the young lad for talking the shit, we need balls out football on Saturday. He could certainly teach a lot of DT posters how to pick themselves up after defeat, its fucking suicidal in here these days.

Paton is one of the good stories this season and should be first pick up front as Miza says. We are going to beat the hun on Saturday, no doubt. Its exactly the right time to play them as they are poor and not scoring goals. We are angry and looking for a kick on. If we have the balls to play the young 'uns and run their ageing defence ragged we will beat them comprehensively.

By Saturday afternoon the mood among Dons fans will have flipped on its head.

Good on the young lad for talking the shit, we need balls out football on Saturday. He could certainly teach a lot of DT posters how to pick themselves up after defeat, its fucking suicidal in here these days.

Paton is one of the good stories this season and should be first pick up front as Miza says. We are going to beat the hun on Saturday, no doubt. Its exactly the right time to play them as they are poor and not scoring goals. We are angry and looking for a kick on. If we have the balls to play the young 'uns and run their ageing defence ragged we will beat them comprehensively.

By Saturday afternoon the mood among Dons fans will have flipped on its head.

I love you.

:thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
Guest rocket debris

Some spot on comments in here. I couldn't believe that Paton was being considered to go out on loan recently. Look at the facts: -

The only start I remember him getting since these comments above was Rangers at Pittodrie, where he was superb. He ran them ragged down the left, showed great pace and control and delivered an unnmissable for Lee Miller's goal and three points.

Then he gets benched again and unless the statto's can correct me, I'm pretty sure that the last three games were his first consecutive starts ever for AFC. Consider his impact: -

His goal v. Celtic was sublime, the technique that only the genuinely talented have got.

His goal v. Hibs was superb, the instinct and execution that only the genuinely talented possess.

Add the cracker off the bar last Wednesday and his shot that Maclean deflected in, the menace that he showed in Kirkcakdy and his confident possession v. Celtic, dragging the ball back and evading tic tink challenges and it's pretty obvious that this young striker has got loads in his locker that will be tremendously beneficial for Aberdeen - pace, instinct and a fantastic shot.

I have no idea why he wasn't being utilised as often as he should have. Maybe MM decided Lee Miller was eventually going to be the answer, maybe he was too being cautious with out youngsters knowing how Tattie Cooper was a physical wreck by 25 thanks to Fergie but whatever the case, these last three games prove to me that Paton is probably our best forward talent for years.