Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Aberdeen FC boss set to wield the axe

Aberdeen FC boss set to wield the axe

McGhee reacts to Dens disaster

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 23/09/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today vowed to take a tough line after the club’s latest dose of cup humiliation.

The Red Army are raging after seeing First Division Dundee win 3-2 after extra-time at Dens Park to send Aberdeen FC tumbling out of the CIS League Cup.

The Dark Blues are the fourth lower division side to knock the once-mighty Aberdeen FC out of a cup in three years.

McGhee admitted major changes are needed if he is to end the cup pain for the long-suffering Aberdeen FC fans.

For more on this story and reaction to Aberdeen FC losing to Dundee, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

He needs to foster some kind of collective spirit. Fuck knows how though. I think it's too easy to say the players he inherited are shite. The right attitude last night would have beaten Dundee easily.

couldn't agree more. problem is, seeing as there is no real competition for places, some of our senior players think that they no longer need to put in the effort and/or have the right attitude/mentality. this is killing us.

i'm all for bringing in the younger players but the fact the squad really wasn't strengthened in the transfer window, which would have given us some more competition, is taking its toll already.

IMO he should drop half the squad and give the young one's their chance. we'll probably lose a few games but it might at least give miller/mcdonald/kerr etc a good kick up the arse. its amazing how much effort players can find when their place is under threat!

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere but it's tagged on to the same story on the BBC

He added: "The winning goal was similar to the others in terms of there being a lapse in concentration. It was a diagonal ball and we got caught. It was poor, poor defending.

"One thing I've not got suckered into in the last few weeks has been people talking to me about us keeping four clean sheets.

"I've kept saying I wasn't getting carried away by that because I suspected they were down to a couple of great performances from Jamie Langfield, a great performance from Jerel Ifil on Saturday and a good performance at Falkirk from Andy Considine and Jerel.

"Suddenly we hadn't become a great defensive team.

"I always thought we were in danger of losing goals, even in those games."

He needs to foster some kind of collective spirit. Fuck knows how though. I think it's too easy to say the players he inherited are shite. The right attitude last night would have beaten Dundee easily.

I don't think anyone realistically thinks that the players are shite. Technically, the vast majority should be comfortable in the SPL. But there's been a weak, spineless feeling about the squad for a few years now. Whether that's down to lack of characters, or successive managerial failures to build a good team spirit, I don't know.

You could point the finger at either the current or previous manager for recruitment of players (not getting any 'characters' in the squad) but the players must shoulder some blame too. I remember looking around the team after Celtic got their first and not one was looking fired up, nor was anyone making any effort to gee their teammates into action, most notably Captain Kerr.

I don't think anyone realistically thinks that the players are shite. Technically, the vast majority should be comfortable in the SPL. But there's been a weak, spineless feeling about the squad for a few years now. Whether that's down to lack of characters, or successive managerial failures to build a good team spirit, I don't know.

You could point the finger at either the current or previous manager for recruitment of players (not getting any 'characters' in the squad) but the players must shoulder some blame too. I remember looking around the team after Celtic got their first and not one was looking fired up, nor was anyone making any effort to gee their teammates into action, most notably Captain Kerr.

Too true, I think its what most of us have known for a long time, and that is that we've lacked any real commitment in the centre of the park since Roberto. Someone who is a nutter (but obviously restrained to the point that he won't always get sent off). Kerr is NOT that person.

IMO he should drop half the squad and give the young one's their chance. we'll probably lose a few games but it might at least give miller/mcdonald/kerr etc a good kick up the arse.

Agreed. I'd rather we lose with a team of youngsters who actually gave a shit, than lose with a bunch of overrated, overpaid players who couldn't give a shite about the result because they know they'll get picked for the next match.

I think the only experienced players who deserve a starting berth from what I've seen so far this season are Langfield, Ifil, Aluko and (tinhat) Foster. The youngsters like Fyvie, Paton and (tinhat again) Maguire have done extremely well, but they're getting fuckall support from those players who should know better, such as Miller, Mackie, Mcdonald and Kerr.

I say let the wasters rot in the reserves. That way, we get to play youngsters who might have a bit more hunger, we don't have these liabilities like Miller dragging his knuckles around for 90 minutes, they'll get fuckall time to showcase their ability to any prospective buyers, and we can just release them at the end of their contracts ... nobody loses except for said players. Win win as far as I'm concerned. It might even result in a couple of those wasters firing a rocket up their own arses and actually produce the performances we all know they can do.

Agreed. I'd rather we lose with a team of youngsters who actually gave a shit, than lose with a bunch of overrated, overpaid players who couldn't give a shite about the result because they know they'll get picked for the next match.

I think the only experienced players who deserve a starting berth from what I've seen so far this season are Langfield, Ifil, Aluko and (tinhat) Foster. The youngsters like Fyvie, Paton and (tinhat again) Maguire have done extremely well, but they're getting fuckall support from those players who should know better, such as Miller, Mackie, Mcdonald and Kerr.

I say let the wasters rot in the reserves. That way, we get to play youngsters who might have a bit more hunger, we don't have these liabilities like Miller dragging his knuckles around for 90 minutes, they'll get fuckall time to showcase their ability to any prospective buyers, and we can just release them at the end of their contracts ... nobody loses except for said players. Win win as far as I'm concerned. It might even result in a couple of those wasters firing a rocket up their own arses and actually produce the performances we all know they can do.

All well and good mate, but a couple of pastings (entirely possible at Ibrox) and the youngsters are essentially back to square one. I agree that certain players should be dropped, but at the same time it would be counter-productive to field a completely inexperienced side at a time when pressure on the team has been turned up to a maximum.

All well and good mate, but a couple of pastings (entirely possible at Ibrox) and the youngsters are essentially back to square one. I agree that certain players should be dropped, but at the same time it would be counter-productive to field a completely inexperienced side at a time when pressure on the team has been turned up to a maximum.

At least these kids would be disappointed to lose so heavily to the huns. The current crop of "experienced" players don't seem to give a shite that they're shite

Why should he take the blame?  he set out to win the match, the players were gutless bawbags and bottled it, he made changes and we were back in the game, good to see most of DT have an agenda on MMG already.

I'm sure your fishing, but I suppose you should feel clever at least once in your life. So here goes...

No one is blaming McGhee you fuckin tube. We're* not a bunch of reactionary dickheads with half a dozen post-it notes. Everyone here realises the limitations with which the Aberdeen Manager has to work with. It's just a pity it's taken the club shelling out the guts of 1 million quid for you to realise the same thing. 

(*I obvioulsy don't claim to speak for everyone, unlike you and the other 6 Cornhill day releasers).