Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mark McGhee: It's time for Aberdeen kids to grab their chance

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/aberdeen-fc/2009/09/13/mark-mcghee-i-helped-robbie-keane-make-it-as-youngsters-now-it-s-time-for-aberdeen-kids-to-grab-their-chance-78057-21669835/

MARK McGHEE has Robbie Keane's signed shirt hanging on the wall to remind him of the stars he helped on their road to the big time.

Now the Aberdeen boss has challenged his latest crop of young guns to follow in the footsteps of Spurs striker Keane and England duo Emile Heskey and Glen Johnson and become his next success story.

McGhee is set to reward hitman Michael Paton, 20, with his first top team start against Falkirk tomorrow.

Fellow kids Fraser Fyvie, Peter Pawlett and Jonathan Crawford have also been given their chance.

McGhee said: "Blooding youngsters and seeing them go on to do well is one of the most satisfying things about being a manager.

"I've had some big successes and still enjoy that as much as any other aspect of the job.

"The guys sitting on the verge of the first team here must believe they can establish themselves like guys I have brought through before.

"I took Johnson from West Ham reserves and put him straight into my team at Millwall - a year later he was playing for England.

"I noticed Keane when he was 16 during pre-season with the youth side.

"By the start of the league he was in my team, scoring both goals in a 2-0 win at Norwich on his debut.

"I went to Leicester, saw Keskey in the youths and he made his debut against Queens Park Rangers. He has never looked back."