Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Wheres Wally?

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1392334?UserKey=

Calderwood off on his travels to look and learn from Europe’s elite coaches             

By Michael Gannon - Published: 12/09/2009

JIMMY Calderwood will be mixing with Europe’s elite coaches in the coming weeks as the former Aberdeen manager patiently awaits the call to return to management. The 54-year-old, who spent five years in charge at Pittodrie, is off on a tour around some of the leading clubs on the continent to observe coaching methods in preparation for his next position. The 11 weeks since his sacking by Aberdeen is the first period Calderwood has spent outside the game for 38 years and he admitted he is itching to get back. The call could arrive sooner rather than later.

Calderwood is quoted by some bookmakers as third favourite for the Scotland manager’s job  :o behind Gordon Strachan and Craig Levein, even though incumbent George Burley is still clinging on to the role.

Calderwood is reluctant to discuss the national position but he admitted he is keen to return to work.

He said: “I have been watching games down south and next week I will head off for three and a half weeks round Europe.

“Jimmy Nicholl and myself will be going to Real Madrid then on to Barcelona and,  hopefully, Inter Milan.

“We are just waiting to get the go ahead from Jose Mourinho.

“After that we are going to take in Bayern Munich, which should be a much more relaxing visit than the last time we were there in the Uefa Cup last year.

“I am also looking to pop into Manchester United and Arsenal.

“You never stop learning in football and it is great to be able to go to these places and watch how they operate and study their training methods.â€

Calderwood is looking forward to ending his managerial exile. He said: “It is 11 weeks since I left Aberdeen and it feels like plenty of time thank you very much. “I was back in Aberdeen the day of the Sigma Olomouc first leg and that is when it really hit me. “There have been a couple of things here and there but nothing too interesting just yet.†

Its good to see things dont change  ;)

Perhaps. Should we decide to axe Mr Burley I'd prefer someone who doesn't have their eye on using Scotland as a stepping stone. So, Strachan is out because he'd walk as soon as a Premiership team offered him a gig.

Which makes me think that Burley should stay on. He clearly wants the job, is unlikely to walk out. I guess it depends what Calderwood and Levein want. I imagine that Levein would still like to go back to England and Jimmy would probably like to give it a go as well. Or knowing Jimmy he probably 'passed' on the Real Madrid job this summer.

• 4 weeks later...