Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Colin Meldrum - Signed.

Meldrum joins McGhee at Pittodrie

Aberdeen have taken Colin Meldrum from Motherwell as their goalkeeping coach following the controversial departure of Jim Leighton.

Leighton had been axed by former team-mate Mark McGhee, the Dons manager saying that he needed someone who had more general coaching skills.

McGhee had earmarked Meldrum and PSV Eindhoven's Hans Segers.

Now Well have confirmed that their 33-year-old goalkeeping coach has left to take up a similar post at Pittodrie.

Meldrum, who was signed for Motherwell by Terry Butcher in the summer of 2005, has served the club as both a player and a coach.

He made 27 appearances for the club before becoming a full-time goalkeeping coaching in late 2007 and worked under McGhee while the current Dons boss was manager at Fir Park.

Meldrum told his former club's website: "I've been at Motherwell for four years now and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

"It's a good club, a family club, and I'll miss the place, but I think it is time for me to move on and Aberdeen was a good option for me.

"I've left on good terms, though, and I want to wish everyone at Motherwell every success in the future."

McGhee, who also blamed budget constraints for failing to add to his squad before the closure of the transfer window, had explained Leighton's sacking by saying that the club could not afford a dedicated goalkeeping coach.

He had moved from Motherwell with assistant Scott Leitch in the summer and has now returned to his former club for Meldrum.

One positive about this is it shows mcghee isnt scared of making tough and potentially unpopular decisions.  Sacking leighton would not have been an easy choice given their playing history and the affection the fans have for him bit he had the stones to do it. 

Welcome aboard the good ship Pittodrie, Colin. Let's face it, you were always going to be part of McGhee's management team at Pittodrie. The notion of pinching Hans Segers from PSV was all just a very poorly devised smokescreen so that the management could say "of course we're not going for Meldrum ... although he'd be nice to have onboard".

Let's hope you've got a lot more than just keeper-coaching qualities, cos although he didn't have much else in his bag of tricks, Auld Bandy made Preece and Langfield into respectable keepers!

I'm certainly pleased we've signed Sandy Clark Colin Meldrum. That Dietician qualification will come in handy. Presumably he can come up with a diet for all the players to counteract 12 pints a couple of flaming sambucas and a doner kebab of a Saturday night and that fitness coach certificate will certainly help in getting all the professional sportsmen fit enough to play professional sport.

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/f3/e7/0,,10284%7E7071731,00.jpg[/img]

COLIN Meldrum today officially joined Aberdeen Football Club as goalkeeping coach. The 33 year old moves to Pittodrie from Motherwell, where he formerly worked with Dons manager Mark McGhee and assistant Scott Leitch.

Meldrum joined the Fir Park side in the summer of 2005, making 27 appearances, before becoming their full time goalkeeping coach in 2007.

On rejoining his old boss at Aberdeen, Meldrum commented. "It's great to be back working alongside Mark (McGhee) and Scott (Leitch).

"When the gaffer contacted me I was over the moon because I worked with him for a couple of years at Motherwell. Hopefully we've got a few good years ahead of us here at Aberdeen as well. The chance to work with Mark and Scott again, and at a club of this stature, was just too good an opportunity to turn down."

Mark McGhee told RedWeb: "Colin has expertise in the gymnasium and on the fitness side of things. He is a lot more than just a goalkeeping coach. He is young, ambitious and enthusiastic and brings a lot to my team."