Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sports Village

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8213660.stm

The new £28m Aberdeen Sports Village is firing its starting gun for the public on Saturday.

Two leading Kenyan runners - Shedrack Korir and Gideon Gathimba - are flying in to launch the open day.

The sports village's attractions include running facilities, a full size indoor football pitch, squash and badminton courts, and gym.

It is a joint venture between Aberdeen City Council, the University of Aberdeen and sportscotland.

There are also facilities for netball, basketball, volleyball and indoor hockey.

The complex is based on the site of the former Chris Anderson Stadium.

It has already been selected as a training venue for the 2012 Olympic Games to be held in London.

Aberdeen Sports Village chairman George Yule, said: "It really is for use by everyone and will be an asset, not only to the people of Aberdeen city and shire, but to the north east as a whole.

"This local sports facility has been designed to international standards, with the London 2012 Olympic Games and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games in mind."

Aberdeen City Council leader John Stewart, added: "Aberdeen Sports Village will be a hub of activity, providing sport activities for local residents, visitors to the city and training facilities for elite athletes. These facilities are fantastic."

Aberdeen University principal, Prof Sir Duncan Rice, said: "The facilities will be of great benefit to all students with an interest in sport and health and will help to promote the development of elite athletes, whom we will now be able to attract from all over the world."

Louise Martin, chair of sportscotland, said the new village supported the Scottish Government's drive to improve regional sports facilities.

so are AFC getting to use this or  is it still the beach and localpark?

Wouldnae surprise me if the Aberdeen City Council were waiting for us to say no before they gave this project the green light. Aberdeen City Council certainly haven't made an effort to cover up the fact that they detest AFC. Anything and everything that AFC applies for gets knocked back by the council. Fuckwits

The youth team visited this place a few days ago. There was a thing on Redweb about it. It mentioned that the facility would help our youth setup training during the winter but didnt mention anything about the first team using it.

I imagine they would use it when the outdoor pitches are fooked instead of using Strikers.

The youth team visited this place a few days ago. There was a thing on Redweb about it. It mentioned that the facility would help our youth setup training during the winter but didnt mention anything about the first team using it.

I imagine they would use it when the outdoor pitches are fooked instead of using Strikers.

I'm sure one of the interviews said that the first team would be using it whenever they could get it booked.

Aren't AFC taking out a long term lease on any new sports facilities out at RGU, similar to the situation out at Heriot Watt with Hearts?

Or have I totally dreamed that up?!

They're not building any new facilities at RGU (as far as I know)

What sort of drugs were you taking this weekend btw? ;)

They're not building any new facilities at RGU (as far as I know)

What sort of drugs were you taking this weekend btw? ;)

Hmm strange, it appears i have just dreamed that up!

In that case it would be madness for the club not to try and secure regular usage of the new fitness village as the clubs own training facilities are severely lacking!

Hmm strange, it appears i have just dreamed that up!

Nah you're not making that up min. I'm sure I read that somewhere too. Was a fair few months ago, like. But that's nae the first time I've read about RGU getting some sort of training facility that we were going to have the use of.

Some photos of the new facility ..

_46240986_aberdeen_sports_466282.jpg

Aerial view

Athletics4s_full.jpg

Athletics hall, complete with 100m sprint lanes

FootballHall2s_full.jpg

FIFA approved full-sized indoor football hall

GamesHall1s_full.jpg

Games hall (big enough to fit nine badminton courts)

Athletics11s_full.jpg

A curtain to hide Bossu.

That does look a nice facility. I never realised that there was so much stuff in it.

I was invited for a facility tour about 8 weeks ago before the place opened.

The chap that showed us round said that they had a UEFA inspection just a few days earlier and they thought the place was execellent. One of these best he had seen.

I asked whether AFC had showed any interest in using the facility. He, the tour guide, said that JC had said 'thanks but no thanks, those plastic pitched just cause injuries'. He never even made an effort to go and have a look at the place. He was sacked before it was finished, so beneift of the doubt I suppose.

At the time I was their the first team were still in Austria and the tour guide also said that MM had indicated that he would be coming to inspect the facility before he made any judgements. I guess he has visited and is happy to use it now!

I can't imagine it would be too difficult for AFC to use it during the day. Who else would be queuing up to use it at the times you'd expect AFC first team to be training.

Because all of our training and coaching is done on grass.  :hammer:

I'd expect most of it is.

His experience was related to the abortion of a pitch at Dunfermline which has understandably though probably unreasonably affected his opinion.

I don't like them either despite the fact they have probably improved but I have had experiences that cloud my judgement of them too.