Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Continuing trials of Mark McGhee

Continuing trials of Mark McGhee

aberdeen manager forced to defy his instincts as lack of cash makes more ‘auditions’ necessary

By michael gannon

Published: 19/08/2009

Spanish trialist Aitor Fernandez Lopez

More Pictures

The transfer clock is ticking, but Mark McGhee will not resort to panic buys – despite the fraught beginning to his Aberdeen managerial reign.

McGhee has just 12 days until the close of the transfer window and desperately needs new recruits following the Europa League 8-1 aggregate defeat by Sigma Olomouc and the 3-1 SPL opening-day defeat by Celtic.

The Dons manager is operating within the strictest of budgets, however, and he cannot afford any wastage.

McGhee has introduced another two trialists to Pittodrie this week, a pair of defenders, in 23-year-old Italian Davide Grassi and 22-year-old Spaniard Aitor Fernandez Lopez.

Grassi began his career at Serie A Parma before moving to Merida and Sant Andreu. Lopez has played in the Spanish top division for Racing Santander and Espanyol with spells at Real Sociedad and Deportiva Ponferradina in between.

The new arrivals brings the amount of trialist players to 10 for the summer, with one of them, central defender Jerel Ifil, so far signed up.

The manager also looked at Reda Johnson, Marcus Steegmann and Jakob Dzoilka during their pre-season camp in Austria while Ifil, Craig Rocastle, Rohan Ricketts, Idrissa Alassane and Mazin Ahmed were all given auditions in the friendly match at Hull City.

McGhee admitted when he took control at Pittodrie he was not keen on flooding his side with loan players and trialists but the subsequent financial difficulties in the wake of the SPL’s reduced television deal has forced his hand.

In normal circumstances the manager would have snapped up players such as Johnson, Ricketts and Ro-castle on the basis of prior knowledge or respected re-commendation without the need for extended trials.

But with money tight, there is no longer any scope to gamble with possible signings.

McGhee said: “There is a gulf growing between the Old Firm and the rest and between us and the English Championship. It is killing us. I know players in Scotland who can improve the team but I cannot go and get them because the clubs, understandably, want a a fee.

“The only clubs who can pay a fee are in England.

“They can pay five times the amount we do up here.â€

McGhee is hoping the latest trialists can solve what is becoming a problematic area for his side.

The 3-1 defeat against Celtic last weekend highlighted the need for cover in the full-back areas and both Grassi and Lopez can operate in those rolls. McGhee will assess the duo this week but will not act hastily.

He has until midnight on Monday, August 31 to bring in permanent recruits but can utilise the emergency loan system thereafter.

Grassi said: “I have been impressed with the players and the stadium. It would be great to be part of it.

“I have not yet sat down and discussed my situation with the Aberdeen manager.

“Hopefully that will come soon, so I will work hard in training and show what I can do.â€

Lopez said: “I am in Aberdeen to win a deal and I will do everything I can to achieve that.

“If Aberdeen take me on board they will be getting a good defender who will be ready to go into the Scottish league straight away.â€

Defender Zander Diamond took part in light training yesterday and is set to recover in time for Saturday’s trip to Lanarkshire to face Hamilton Accies.

The 23-year-old centre back suffered a nasty head knock after clashing with team-mate Mark Kerr in the Celtic game and was forced to leave the field on a stretcher.

Diamond missed the Euro-pean ties with an ankle injury but suffered no adverse reaction after 80 minutes against the Hoops.

Other than the latter part of the piece, its mostly regurgitated(sp?) from previous articles. Must be another slow news day.

Continuing trials of Jimmy Calderwood

aberdeen manager forced to defy his instincts as lack of cash makes more ‘auditions’ necessary

By michael gannon

Published: 19/08/2008

The transfer clock is ticking, but Jimmy Calderwood will not resort to panic buys.

Calderwood has just 12 days until the close of the transfer window and desperately needs new recruits following the SPL opening-day defeat by ICT.

The Dons manager is operating within the strictest of budgets, however, and he cannot afford any wastage.

Calderwood has introduced another two trialists to Pittodrie this week, a pair of defenders.

The new arrivals brings the amount of trialist players to 10 for the summer, with one of them, so far signed up.

Calderwood admitted when he took control at Pittodrie he was not keen on flooding his side with loan players and trialists but the subsequent failure to make Europe this season, has forced his hand.

In normal circumstances the manager would have snapped up players on the basis of prior knowledge or respected re-commendation without the need for extended trials.

But with money tight, there is no longer any scope to gamble with possible signings.

Calderwwod said: “There is a gulf growing between the Old Firm and the rest and between us and the English Championship. It is killing us. I know players in Scotland who can improve the team but I cannot go and get them because the clubs, understandably, want a a fee.

“The only clubs who can pay a fee are in England.

“They can pay five times the amount we do up here.â€

Calderwood is hoping the latest trialists can solve what is becoming a problematic area for his side.

The  defeat against ICT last weekend highlighted the need for cover in the full-back areas and both Dutchmen can operate in those rolls. Calderwood will assess the duo this week but will not act hastily.

He has until midnight on Monday, August 31 to bring in permanent recruits but can utilise the emergency loan system thereafter.

Some random Dutchamn said: “I have been impressed with the players and the stadium. It would be great to be part of it.

“I have not yet sat down and discussed my situation with the Aberdeen manager.

“Hopefully that will come soon, so I will work hard in training and show what I can do.â€

Antoher random Dutchman said: “I am in Aberdeen to win a deal and I will do everything I can to achieve that.

“If Aberdeen take me on board they will be getting a good player who will be ready to go into the Scottish league straight away.â€

Same shit different year  ::).