Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Arafath Heuvel

Guest innesciver

Guest innesciver

Probably the usual EE sh*te:

STRIKER HEUVEL ON TRIAL

13:10 - 27 June 2007

Aberdeen are poised to take another Dutch striker on trial.

Boss Jimmy Calderwood has moved for 31-year-old former Groningen hitman Arafath Heuvel after fellow Dutchman Robert Fik turned down a move to Pittodrie.

Heuvel, who plays for De Treffers in the top tier of the amateur game in Holland, begins a month's trial on Monday before joining the first team for their pre-season trip to Egypt.

Calderwood said: "Arafath is a player who has a good pedigree and was well thought of.

"He has struggled with injuries before, but he feels he is over those problems now and I want to take a look at him over an extended period.

"Arafath can play as a striker, but also out wide and it is as a left winger that I'm most interested in him."

Guest Johnny Mac

another striker isn't exactly where our priorities should be.

why aren't we concentrating on sorting out the shambles between the sticks?

"Arafath can play as a striker, but also out wide and it is as a left winger that I'm most interested in him."

But yes, a new keeper is essential before the start of the season.

Guest kilahun

I think with the lack of talk about langfield and bringing a new striker/winger on board it goes to show JC has had a change of heart about langfield.  He has always over rated him and i cant see anything but him being between the sticks or back up to souter come start of season unfortunately. 

My Dutch (and knowledge of Dutch lower leagues) isn't up to much, but De Treffers play in the Hoodfklasse Sunday C division. As I say, I have no idea what that is, and I hate pre-judging, but it doesn't inspire me...

Arafath Heuvel played for Groningen in the mid 90's. He had an unsuccessful spell at Colchester in 98/99 when he had injury problems and never really got going. He then signed for Tranmere. He then seems to have dissapeared off the footballing map since then.

But yes, a new keeper is essential before the start of the season.

Although I agree about getting a new keeper in, I'd imagine a keeper is far from the top of JC's priorities - As someone mentioned in a previous thread, Langfield and JC will kiss and make up after Langfield apologies (which he'll do), we'll have another season of Clangers between the sticks.  :hammer:

• 3 weeks later...

Right, can someone at the Buckie game tell me the state of the Pitch.

Heuvel is in the metro complaining that the grass was too long and missed his chance due to it, then Jimmy has his piece. He said Heuvel only showed glimpses of his talent due to the bad pitch.

Now going on the pics I have seen, Victoria Park didn’t look that bad and definitely looked better than 90% of SPL pitches by Christmas time. So if Jimmy buys him will he only be playing him on nice pitches? He definitely will not like playing Motherwell and Gretna!

I dunno if there'd be a fee or what the wages would be like, but I've been impressed by the Real Salt Lake goalie, Nick Rimando.

Actually just checked and he's got 3 caps for the US team, so scratch that.

Maybe, since we've only got one first team keeper, and no-one seems to be real impressed with or confident in him, we should be taking in keepers on trial.  And lots of them.

How difficult would that be?

Right, can someone at the Buckie game tell me the state of the Pitch.

Heuvel is in the metro complaining that the grass was too long and missed his chance due to it, then Jimmy has his piece. He said Heuvel only showed glimpses of his talent due to the bad pitch.

Now going on the pics I have seen, Victoria Park didn’t look that bad and definitely looked better than 90% of SPL pitches by Christmas time. So if Jimmy buys him will he only be playing him on nice pitches? He definitely will not like playing Motherwell and Gretna!

It didn't look too bad to me. Maybe a wee bit on the long side, but i think it'd be a bit churlish to suggest it was performance-affecting. He did miss a good chance in the first minute, where the ball looked like it bobbled just before he struck it. Maybe that's what he's moaning about.