Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J this morning...

McGhee steps up rebuild as humiliation is completed

heaviest aggregate defeat since gers were cuffed 12-4 by frankfurt in 1960

By MICHAEL GANNON in olomouc

Published: 07/08/2009

HE CAN’T LOOK: Mark McGhee takes the strain in the Czech Republic last night as Aberdeen lose three goals before half-time

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee will hasten his rebuilding campaign after the European humiliation was completed by Sigma Olomouc in the Czech Republic last night.

The Czech side cruised to a comfortable 3-0 victory in the Andruv Stadium to inflict an 8-1 aggregate defeat on the Dons, the heaviest aggregate loss for a Scottish club since Rangers went down 12-4 to Eintracht Frankfurt in the European Cup semi-finals in 1960.

Aberdeen were picked off with ease as Sigma grabbed three first-half goals – through Tomas Janotka, Marek Kascak and Michal Hubnik – and then threatened to run riot in the second period.

McGhee felt some relief that his men are finally out of their Euro misery and his focus is now on strengthening his squad ahead of the SPL kick-off against Celtic at Pittodrie tomorrow week.

His first act will be to give trials to former Hibs midfielder Craig Rowcastle and former Tottenham and Wolves forward Rohan Ricketts. The pair will play for Aberdeen in Sunday's Dean Windass testimonial against Hull City.

Ricketts spent last season in the MLS with Toronto under manager Maurice Johnston, scoring four goals in 39 appearances, but the 26-year-old was released and has returned to the UK. Rocastle, who made 13 appearances on loan at Hibs in 2004, spent last term with Greek side Thrasivoulos Filis and has also performed for Sheffield Wednesday, Oldham and Port Vale in a much-travelled career.

McGhee said: “We are getting closer. We will have a look at these two players on Sunday. The two of them have been around the English leagues and have experience. Ricketts has been playing in the United States with Toronto. He is a lively forward and while some have questioned his workrate, he has ability. Everyone knows Craig from his Hibs days, where he did quite well."

McGhee's side was humbled again last night but the manager was hindered by injuries to a threadbare squad.

Defender Zander Diamond was absent with an achillies injury and midfielder Stuart Duff was conscripted as a makeshift centre back, as he was in last week's first leg.

Duff refused to make any excuses for the dire performances.

He said: “I am not happy about the whole performance over the two legs and the players have got a lot to improve on.

“It is difficult and hard to take. People looked at the first leg and thought the tie was over but we came here thinking there was nothing to lose.

“You can tell from the supporters' reaction they are not too pleased. They paid good money to come over here to see a below-par performance.

“The people at Pittodrie would not have got their money’s worth. I can understand their frustration."

“I was nice to hear the manager being complimentary but it would be nice to play in a settled position.

“It was not too bad playing there but eight goals over two legs does not make good reading."

Didn't the huns go down 8-1 to Juve over 2 legs??  I'm making absolutely no point here, just an observation.  I remember it well, in the broomloan stand, not a dons shirt in sight but 1000's of Juve tops....One Del Peiro!! haha.  Get it right up ye's!

Ricketts spent last season in the MLS with Toronto under manager Maurice Johnston, scoring four goals in 39 appearances, but the 26-year-old was released and has returned to the UK. Rocastle, who made 13 appearances on loan at Hibs in 2004, spent last term with Greek side Thrasivoulos Filis and has also performed for Sheffield Wednesday, Oldham and Port Vale in a much-travelled career.

McGhee said: “We are getting closer. We will have a look at these two players on Sunday. The two of them have been around the English leagues and have experience. Ricketts has been playing in the United States with Toronto. He is a lively forward and while some have questioned his workrate, he has ability. Everyone knows Craig from his Hibs days, where he did quite well."

Not a great scoring record from Ricketts, in a league that is a similar standard if not slightly worse than the SPL.

Didn't the huns go down 8-1 to Juve over 2 legs??  I'm making absolutely no point here, just an observation.  I remember it well, in the broomloan stand, not a dons shirt in sight but 1000's of Juve tops....One Del Peiro!! haha.  Get it right up ye's!

I remember I think it was the Coca Cola cup semi final all the Dons fans singing Juve!  :thumbsup: