What an abiding memory

Well, last Thursday was my last visit to Pittodrie.

I'm not storming off in the huff, I don't have any moral objection to the team, the manager or Wiggy's millions. I haven't thrown my toys out of the pram and I am not boycotting the place until JC is reappointed.  :-\

We are emigrating to some place far far away where I won't have to endure the daily taunts of workmates and friends.

I had hoped that my last game would be a memorable one, leaving me even more upset at being away from the Dons. Whilst that game will be memorable, it will be for all the wrong reasons.

I'm an old git, and I do still have those rose tinted glasses I wear on occasion when thinking about Ab'deen.  I watch the conversations on here talking about 4th in the league and making it to Europe or a cup final as being a successful season and I wonder where did it all go wrong.

I was kid in the 70s, my first memory of Aberdeen is watching them win the League Cup in '76 as a 12 year old.

From then on, it seemed a glorious time of success, cups and leagues. I was at Easter Rd in 1980 when we won the League - heck, I scaled the wall and was on the pitch at the end. I even hugged Ian Scanlon. As a teenager during the early 80's, it seemed that we only had to enter a competition to win it. ( Glossing over the Liverpool humiliation of course and all other bad results - a benefit of being old and forgetful).  It felt like we were at Hampden so often, I could walk there blindfolded and was on first name terms with the chippie owner.

I remember the amazing atmosphere at the game after Ferguson turned down the Huns management job.  Watching the Dutch invasion, KNOWING Snelders was a goalkeeping God, and that Gillhaus was probably the best striker I ever seen, better even than Fat Frankie Mac.

I was at all our cup games, all our european home games and only didn't go to Gothenburg because

A. I was skint and a penniless student

and B. there will always be next year or the year after.

How fucking sad that I miss out on the best night in our club's lives because I thought we'd be a footballing force for ever and in reality, my last and abiding memory of Aberdeen FC will be watching them get humped, trounced and humiliated out of Europe in the qualifying rounds.

Still Standing Free in the Beach End !

:AFC2:

I hope for your sake its not the last time you'll ever be at pittodrie, but it is a shame you last memory so far is an embarrassment. I don't know where the club is going at the moment but i hope whilst moving away, you'll still keep tabs on the team! Out of curiousity, if you don't mind of course, where are you moving to?

OBC, you must be ages with me..and share a lot of the same memories.... ;D

Loved the League cup in '76...5-1 v Rangers, and I lived next door to a tim :thumbsupI too did't get to Gothenburg, cos I had a Uni exam, and I too thought.."next season"...even broke my wrist at the Porto game at foggy Pittodrie.

These days WILL come again!

Bobby you must be ages with me also....ya auld cunt ;)

They were without doubt the best of times and we are honoured not only to have been Dandies, but to have lived through these times. I wish you well in pastures new and don't be a stranger to the board :thumbsup:

As Al says you must feel very honoured (and privileged) to have seen the greatest days of our club.  Unfortunately with Aberdeen they never do anything by halves and perhaps your last game at Pittodrie is the perfect example of this, going full circle for you... from the top of Europe to the dregs of the dregs.

Very best of luck with your move and I hope you'll still be using the forum  :thumbsup:

I hope for your sake its not the last time you'll ever be at pittodrie, but it is a shame you last memory so far is an embarrassment. I don't know where the club is going at the moment but i hope whilst moving away, you'll still keep tabs on the team! Out of curiousity, if you don't mind of course, where are you moving to?

I'll still keep up to date with what's happening, I'll probably still hang around on here (got to keep the average age up somehow).

We'll be living in Alaska, so there won't be too much in the way of slaggings of a Monday morning, at least.

I'll still keep up to date with what's happening, I'll probably still hang around on here (got to keep the average age up somehow).

We'll be living in Alaska, so there won't be too much in the way of slaggings of a Monday morning, at least.

At least you won't notice any difference in the climate.

Good luck with the move. I was at the game to, 1st game in 5 years home for a few weeks from Ohio.