Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Dons firing blanks in transfer market

Dons firing blanks in transfer market

Aberdeen manager McGHEE IS STILL STRUGGLING TO OVERCOME THE STIGMA OF SIGMA

By Michael Gannon

Published: 04/08/2009

Aberdeen’s emergency recruitment drive is in danger of stalling as even players from the lowest echelons of English League football are reluctant to move to the SPL.

Dons manager Mark McGhee is working frantically in his efforts to rebuild a patchwork squad weakened by annual departures of its leading lights.

The deficiencies of his group were brutally exposed in last week’s 5-1 Europa League defeat by Czech Republic club Sigma Olomouc.

He been left frustrated, however, first by financial constraints and now by an unwillingness from even modest targets to play in the SPL.

McGhee said: “I have certainly been very busy. On Sunday night I think I sent 50 texts to every manager on my phone who might have available players and I followed that up with dozens of calls.

“I think it was glaringly obvious last week we need bodies.

“I had 12 outfield players I could use last week and that is desperate. We need to add four players and I think by this time next year there will probably be a turnover of around eight to 10 players.

“I have been assured by the board and by Willie Miller the money is there but the problem we have had is spending it.

“I spoke to an English Premier League manager yesterday and he has 10 players who could do us the power of good and he would be willing to let them come.

“The problem is not the wages, it is the players. They do not want to come to Aberdeen and the SPL.

“Even if we can afford them they don’t want to come.

“So, we are trawling all the people we know looking at up-and-coming young players in reserve sides.

“We have to be realistic. We are paying a maximum wage which is on a level with League 2 clubs in England and some lesser League 1 clubs but nowhere near the Championship.

“It is a problem for Scottish football because the gap has widened.â€

The stigma of Sigma will never disappear for McGhee. Not even victory against Celtic on the opening day of the SPL on August 15 will alleviate the agony of his first competitive match in charge at Pittodrie.

The squad was treated to a double training session yesterday as the players attempt to salvage some pride out of the wreckage of last week’s defeat. The manager remains shellshocked at the capitulation but is determined the second leg can be a useful exercise before the SPL kick-off.

He said: “The way we lost will not be forgotten easily. I am still in shock. People might say I was exaggerating when I said standing there watching felt like being crucified. It was a diabolical feeling and that does not go away quickly. A victory against Celtic might make me feel a bit better but that feeling will never go away.

“I will never forget that is what happened in my first game. We have to play again, however, we have to get back on the bike. I will not allow the players to be down or depressed because we will be out to have a go on Thursday. It is about pride and preparation for the Celtic game.

“We are not going to win 5-0 over there. I don’t care if anyone wants to point the finger at me and say I am being pessimistic, but to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.â€

McGhee is still monitoring the fitness of defender Zander Diamond. The centre back’s ankle injury, which forced him to miss last week’s defeat, will be reassessed today and a decision will be made whether or not he will travel to the Czech Republic with the squad tomorrow morning. Forward Tommy Wright will be left behind as he recuperates from knee surgery.

If we've nae money why look for players in England?, a'body kens they're paying faaarrrrr too much for mediocre players

Sure there must be bargains to be found elsewhere i.e. eastern europe

I'd imagine that the reason for this will be the cost of both time and money in going to eastern Europe compared to Engerlandhsire is far greater.

I'd imagine that the reason for this will be the cost of both time and money in going to eastern Europe compared to Engerlandhsire is far greater.

But surely the fact that we are unable to get anyone signals time to move on and look at pastures new? I understand he probably has most of his contacts in England, but its becoming increasingly clear that its a waste of time. I think it shows that the players in these premier league teams think they are better than they actually are and football is not their main driver. You'd have thought examples set by Aluko, Walker and to a lesser extent Vidal, that they will get the chance to play.

As Ajja said, we need to blood youngsters asap, because if we're not signing anyone, we need to makes sure our team is as experienced as it can possibly be.

50 texts? OMGZZZZZ  :o

And there the problem lies, what the fuck kind of way is that to conduct a professional business.  MM pick up the phone and persuade some cunt to deal with you.

Sorry, what I meant to say was.  Mrk, m8, yr doin a gr8 jb jst sgn a ctr hlf n rt bk plz, ROFPMSL.

And there the problem lies, what the fuck kind of way is that to conduct a professional business.  MM pick up the phone and persuade some cunt to deal with you.

Sorry, what I meant to say was.  Mrk, m8, yr doin a gr8 jb jst sgn a ctr hlf n rt bk plz, ROFPMSL.

Aye or he could make 50 phone calls in a matter of seconds eh!

He said it was managers he knows. Not a problem in my eyes.

You'd have thought examples set by Aluko, Walker and to a lesser extent Vidal, that they will get the chance to play.

It helps when you don't have complete fannies like Bougherra telling players "nah, don't play in Scotland. It's fuckin shite!". I'm sure that bodes well for any player looking to ply his trade in Scotland.

The SPL is a good springboard for players with ambition. Look at Aluko, for example. He was invisible in the Birmingham reserves. He's playing regularly up the park for Aberdeen, and now he's a fully-blooded Nigerian international.

But surely the fact that we are unable to get anyone signals time to move on and look at pastures new? I understand he probably has most of his contacts in England, but its becoming increasingly clear that its a waste of time. I think it shows that the players in these premier league teams think they are better than they actually are and football is not their main driver. You'd have thought examples set by Aluko, Walker and to a lesser extent Vidal, that they will get the chance to play.

As Ajja said, we need to blood youngsters asap, because if we're not signing anyone, we need to makes sure our team is as experienced as it can possibly be.

You're absolutely right. It clearly is time to move on and hopefully that's what he's doing.

Aye or he could make 50 phone calls in a matter of seconds eh!

He said it was managers he knows. Not a problem in my eyes.

Agreed.

It helps when you don't have complete fannies like Bougherra telling players "nah, don't play in Scotland. It's fuckin shite!". I'm sure that bodes well for any player looking to ply his trade in Scotland.

The SPL is a good springboard for players with ambition. Look at Aluko, for example. He was invisible in the Birmingham reserves. He's playing regularly up the park for Aberdeen, and now he's a fully-blooded Nigerian international.

Reekie, fancy the job of AFC salesman?  :thumbsup:

Clearly not expecting to hold on to much of the current squad.

Would you want to?

In all seriousness, there will be a number of players he wants to move on just now but can't due to any number of reasons and then there will be players who he may not want to lose but leave of their own accord and then there may be players we get cash offers for that we simply can't afford to turn down.

Would you want to?

In all seriousness, there will be a number of players he wants to move on just now but can't due to any number of reasons and then there will be players who he may not want to lose but leave of their own accord and then there may be players we get cash offers for that we simply can't afford to turn down.

There are known knowns and known unknowns . . . . .  .