Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J - 1 August 2009

I'm not sure if this is news or not, as far as I can see it's just a regurgitation of what we heard on Thurs night/Fri morning.  McDonald and Langfield also in P&J saying it was the players fault etc.

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne has agreed to release funds to allow manager Mark McGhee to strengthen his beleaguered squad.

McGhee feared his transfer kitty had run dry in the wake of the Scottish Premier League’s reduced television deal, but the manager has been assured some money will be made available after Milne answered the call to plug the gap in the finances.

The paucity of the Dons squad was brutally exposed by Czech Republic side Sigma Olomouc, who ran Aberdeen ragged in a 5-1 Europa League qualifying round victory at Pittodrie on Thursday.

The manager admitted his players were not fit enough to cope with the Czechs and there were also questions asked regarding tactics and team selection.

But there was no doubt McGhee’s hands were tied when it came to personnel as he was forced to field two midfielders, Derek Young and Stuart Duff, in a makeshift defence in the absence of centre back Zander Diamond.

Having been assured there is cash to spend, McGhee will now attempt to bring in at least three new players before the SPL kick-off against Celtic on August 15.

He said: “There is money to spend on the squad – money that I was promised when I came here.

“I hope with that money to bring in three players, maybe even a fourth on a loan deal.

“Reda Johnson (the Benin international defender who opted to sign for Plymouth Argyle) was one player I wanted and I possibly dwelt on that one too long.

“We need to get players in before the Celtic game, but we have the money to do it.â€

There is no bottomless pit for the manager, however, and he is aware he will have to scrape around in the bargain basement for new recruits.

He said: “It isn’t just Aberdeen feeling the pinch. We have to concede that the level of player we are going to be able to bring in, unless we get really lucky, is probably not going to be good enough at this level in Europe.â€

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2009/08/01/duncan-shearer-aberdeen-are-paying-price-of-spending-big-during-ebbe-skovdahl-s-reign-86908-21563130/

Duncan Shearer: Aberdeen are paying price of spending big during Ebbe Skovdahl's reign

DUNCAN SHEARER last night pinned the blame for Aberdeen's humiliating Euro loss on big-spending former boss Ebbe Skovdahl.

The ex-Dons striker, left, believes the club are now paying the price on the park for blowing a fortune off it during the Skovdahl era between 1999 and 2003.

The 46-year-old has huge sympathy for supporters who turned up at Pittodrie on Thursday night to usher in an exciting new era under Mark McGhee, only to see their team ripped apart 5-1 by Sigma Olomouc.

Club owner Stewart Milne is already getting it in the neck from brassed-off fans but former Scotland striker Shearer has urged the Red Army to think long term.

He said: "The result was a consequence of the policy Aberdeen pursued during the Skovdahl era when they spent big money on players and got into serious debt.

"They have now taken a position to pay off that debt as the board want to secure the club's long-term future.

"If Aberdeen had carried on the way they were the club would be out of business.

"I know for a fact Stewart Milne has put an enormous amount of money into the club in the past 10 years but it has to stand on its own two feet now.

"Hopefully when the debt levels are down to more manageable levels they can spend again.

"Unfortunately, in between times there will be periods of suffering."

Shearer was at Pittodrie as the Dons slumped to their worst-ever defeat at home in Europe. It was an inglorious start to McGhee's reign and Shearer knows the ex-Dons star is already under severe pressure.

He said: "People are asking, 'Is he the right man?' "Aberdeen should have given Sigma a harder test and their back four should have been more solid.

"But Mark deserves a year before people ask if the club has progressed under his stewardship."

Well I'd say we'd need three in defence alone, before we even consider the rest of the team. I'd prefer if he knew who they were and perhaps got them before thursday, just so they get a bit of a run around with the "team" before the tims game.

They may well get a run around on Thursday if the other night is anything to go by....

That said, you'd expect every single player who plays this Thursday to play as if their lives depended on it, if not they can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

They may well get a run around on Thursday if the other night is anything to go by....

That said, you'd expect every single player who plays this Thursday to play as if their lives depended on it, if not they can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

McDonald alluded to that in the paper today.

McDonald alluded to that in the paper today.

I'm glad, it needs to be said. Too many of the squad have been coasting in that team for far too long. Out of curiousity, what happened to our linking with Klimpl? I take it he hasn't signed for anyone and he certainly sounded like he was keen to link up with MM again?

I also don't really agree with Duncan Shearer's article, JC got money to spend, its only fair that MM gets a decent wad to spend now its patently obvious our squad lacks anything. As I said, you get what you pay for.

I'm glad, it needs to be said. Too many of the squad have been coasting in that team for far too long. Out of curiousity, what happened to our linking with Klimpl? I take it he hasn't signed for anyone and he certainly sounded like he was keen to link up with MM again?

I also don't really agree with Duncan Shearer's article, JC got money to spend, its only fair that MM gets a decent wad to spend now its patently obvious our squad lacks anything. As I said, you get what you pay for.

Don't really agree with Dunc either. Alex Fucking Miller spent a fair whack when you consider Hignett was on £8k a week plus a huge monthly bonus payment just for staying employed by us  ::), then there was the Winters for £750k (while I was glad to get rid of Dudds (sic), and Winters was a good player for us, he wasn't £750k + a player good). Roy Fucking Aitken also spent unbelievable amounts on Bernard (again, a good player but just unlucky with injury) and shite like the Bulgarians.  We even paid over the odds for Deano, in all honesty.  Ebbe spent a fair deal for not a lot in return (in some cases) but also got some good players for his money.  He definitely wasn't any more guilty than the two jokers who were before him.

Don't really agree with Dunc either. Alex Fucking Miller spent a fair whack when you consider Hignett was on £8k a week plus a huge monthly bonus payment just for staying employed by us  ::), then there was the Winters for £750k (while I was glad to get rid of Dudds (sic), and Winters was a good player for us, he wasn't £750k + a player good). Roy Fucking Aitken also spent unbelievable amounts on Bernard (again, a good player but just unlucky with injury) and shite like the Bulgarians.  We even paid over the odds for Deano, in all honesty.  Ebbe spent a fair deal for not a lot in return (in some cases) but also got some good players for his money.  He definitely wasn't any more guilty than the two jokers who were before him.

Yeah, if anything Ebbe probably had less than that pair of fuckwits and Pele was the first manager to really suffer swingeing cuts, though god knows what the fuck would have been brought in had he been given money, Heikkenen a noteable exception.

Yeah, if anything Ebbe probably had less than that pair of fuckwits and Pele was the first manager to really suffer swingeing cuts, though god knows what the fuck would have been brought in had he been given money, Heikkenen a noteable exception.

Preece - £300k

Belabed - £100k  :hammer:

Zerouali - £300k

Solberg - £300k

He managed to get Heikenen, Bisconti, Stavrum, Kjaer, Dadi, Thornley and Fabiano for free.

Preece - £300k

Zerouali - £300k

Solberg - £300k

He managed to get Heikenen, Bisconti, Stavrum, Kjaer, Dadi, Thornley and Fabiano for free.

Thought Zerouali cost £750k?

Belebed used to always get on my bus on the way to school  :thumbsup:

Preece - £300k

Zerouali - £300k

Solberg - £300k

Heikenen was a Paterson era signing.

No, he definitely only cost about half of that.

Belebed used to always get on my bus on the way to school  :thumbsup:

wiki says 300k, soccerbase says 250k

last player we forked out JUST £750k on was a complete waste of fucking money  :doh:

Sorry for editing Tom, but I break out in an uncontrolable rage every time I see that name

Preece - £300k

Zerouali - £300k

Solberg - £300k

Who did?

I'm no sure I understand what you're saying Tambo.

Thornley, Dadi and Fabiano were abortions but the money he had was well above what any manager since has had. Zero was a player who's skill merited a fee. 

So the current Wiggy appologisers excuse is that we spent too much in the past, so now we have to endure years of pish???

Who picked the fucking managers?? wiggy

Who backed stupid signings?? wiggy

Who picked a manager that he has turned down at least twice and now won't back?? wiggy

To say there is money available now is fucking ludicrous - We needed investment BEFORE the european game - see if we had qualified - money would have come in - now we are going to spend "money we don't have" to paper the cracks and not get it back from european ties.

For that alone, wiggy needs sacked, but when he did the same mid-european campaign a few years back too - the "number one fan" tag is looking sadly worn.

Wiggy needs to invest or get to fuck - if the club is "nearly standing on it's feet" and he isn't going to invest, walk away and let someone else step in.

Wiggy is killing AFC

So the current Wiggy appologisers excuse is that we spent too much in the past, so now we have to endure years of pish???

Who picked a manager that he has turned down at least twice and now won't back?? wiggy

To say there is money available now is fucking ludicrous - We needed investment BEFORE the european game - see if we had qualified - money would have come in - now we are going to spend "money we don't have" to paper the cracks and not get it back from european ties.

For that alone, wiggy needs sacked, but when he did the same mid-european campaign a few years back too - the "number one fan" tag is looking sadly worn.

Wiggy needs to invest or get to fuck - if the club is "nearly standing on it's feet" and he isn't going to invest, walk away and let someone else step in.

Wiggy is killing AFC

Wiggy sacked.  :lolabove:

Supreme daftness.

McGhee had money to spend and managed to choose not to.

Wiggy is killing AFC

Im gonna go out on  a limb here

see this Milne character

He went form having about £200 in his pocket to form one of the biggest development firms in the UK amassing a personal fortune of several tens of millions.

He then made a real mistake by investing in his local football club for which i will be fucking amazed if he has EVER seen a return on his money.

He is not a stupid man so he will be looking to jump ship at the first opportunity to end this drain on his finances so ask yourself why he hasnt?

If he walks with no replacement the club goes under. Fans like you lynch him

If he walks and hands control to some wannabe who takes the club under he will be blamed for the demise, not the new guy. fans like you lynch him

From this I conclude that he hasnt walked because either

1) NO ONE wants his job

2) Those that have expressed an interest dont have the money or the intelligence to keep the club alive.

The club is apparently 'nearly standing' on its feet' you say.

I see that as 'we are actually not making a loss each season, keep this up and we might actually start to clear this debt and show we are worth being invested in.'

Do you see it as 'we are all fixed now so start giving us moneyto blow on over inflated wages so we can have 1 or 2 good seasons before the taxman comes a calling and we end up worse off than before?

I cleared my overdraft a couple of years back. Ill tell ya the last thing on my mind when i did that was go out and immedietly spend a few thousand to put me right back where I started from.

Wiggy is killing AFC

Milne is a chairmen, who definitely shouldn't be allowed near the football side of things. For example, appointing Aitken, Ebbe, Paterson and backing them. This is one of the number one reasons why Miller was appointed Director of Football and immediately used his expertise. This has resulted in a turnaround in fortunes for Aberdeen FC (even though some would still disagree). Milne has been penny pinching for years, I disagree with those that want lavish spending as that inevitably goes tits up.

I don't think there is any doubt that we did overspend in the past, but when we were making a very good recovery progress from those years of overspending (with higher league finishes, increasing attendance figures and the European run), the credit crunch & recession hit hard and that along with Setanta collapsing, has knocked the AFC books for six. Nobody could have forseen this and we are currently being hit harder than expected.

At the minute, times are hard with AFC and Milne both struggling in the current economic climate. It is harder than ever to loosen the purse strings and in this climate, I don't blame Milne for not. McGhee will just have to work with what he's got and spend whatever money he has wisely.