Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Today's EE - reaction to Sigma defeat

Aberdeen FC skipper Kerr apologises to fans

‘We let the manager and fans down’

By Mark Davies

Published: 31/07/2009

MARK Kerr today admitted Aberdeen FC are as good as out of the Europa League.

With no Scottish team having every recovered from a four-goal deficit in European football, the odds are stacked against Aberdeen FC.

Midfielder Kerr, who was skipper for the night, said: “You would be daft to say we can go over there and qualify now.

“It’s so disappointing because at 1-1 we could have gone on and still done something in the game, but obviously it went wrong from their second goal onwards.â€

The former Dundee United man accepted the performance was not good enough and has vowed to make it up to the Aberdeen FC supporters.

“We let the manager down and I’m also gutted for the supporters.

“I’m sure they all had their flights booked for the next leg and, although nothing I can say can make it any better, I am very sorry for them.

“Hopefully, we can make it up to them this season with some cup runs.â€

And Kerr added that there needs to be plenty of hard work put in before the SPL curtain-raiser against Celtic on August 15.

He said: “We need to get our heads down and react in the right manner.

“We’ve got to go over to the Czech Republic and play them next week and we need to get as much out of it as we can to help get us ready for the Celtic game at Pittodrie.â€

I got it all wrong, admits Aberdeen FC boss McGhee

Aberdeen FC manager Mark’s woe over Euro shocker

By Charlie Allan :wave:

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today accepted full responsibility for their European shame game.

McGhee’s hopes of making a dream debut as Aberdeen FC manager were shattered when they were hammered 5-1 at home by Czech side Sigma Olomouc in their Europa League qualifying tie.

The Aberdeen FC manager admitted he felt like crying at the end of what is the worst European home defeat in the club’s history.

But Mark McGhee was man enough to admit they were only humiliated because he got it all wrong on a night that will haunt him for some time.

To read the interview with Mark McGhee in full, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express

Aberdeen FC boss not to blame for defeat, says Aluko

Players were at fault – Aberdeen FC ace Aluko

By Sean Wallace

SONE Aluko insists Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee should not shoulder all the blame for the Europa League nightmare at Pittodrie.

McGhee was willing to take full responsibility for Aberdeen FC’s night of shame as they crashed 5-1 at home to Sigma Olomouc.

But Aluko reckons the fans should blame the players, and not the new gaffer, for Aberdeen FC’s humiliation.

Aluko said: “There is no way the gaffer should take all the responsibility for the defeat.â€

To read this story in full, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express