Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee in the P&J

McGhee’s View

Published: 31/07/2009

IT IS my responsibility for the result.

What the supporters have to know is I am here for the duration. I have seen the failings and the weaknesses, and from tomorrow morning I will start work on fixing them.

I am not accepting people here not looking each other in the eye.

I want to know if I am asking too much of the players. I am not going to criticise them, I am going to tell them what we need to do to improve.

I talked to them at length at full time and gave them my assessment of the first month here, but what I need to know is will they be mentally strong enough to handle playing Celtic here.

If we go a goal down in 10 minutes, who will stand up and look for the ball and who will hide?

I need to know and I have asked the players to believe in us and what we are trying to achieve here.

I was asked if this game had come too early for us and I think we have found out. Yes it has.

We cobbled together a back four for the game, but I am not sure if it would have mattered who was playing in defence in the last half hour as what I saw was diabolical and our energy levels were nowhere near good enough.

At times we did all right, we passed the ball and got in behind them, but we were left susceptible in the end to a fitter team which was quicker, stronger and capitalised fully.

It is clear now we need players before the Celtic game in a couple of weeks.

The financial situation is desperate and it is impossible to bring in players from the Championship, but I will be looking for nuggets from the lower leagues and abroad.

It is not Willie Miller or the chairman's fault I haven't brought in players. It is my responsibility and I will be on the phone tomorrow trying to bring players in.

I have to admit this job is much harder than I envisaged it would be, but I would still have taken it.

What I still fail to understand is why a manager who has been managing in Scotland for the last two years thought any team outwith the old firm would be able to sign players from the Championship.

At least he tried though. If he doesn't try he gets slated for "lacking ambition". That's one we hear alot. He's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't.

At least he tried though. If he doesn't try he gets slated for "lacking ambition". That's one we hear alot. He's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't.

Yes, and the alternatives were?

I don't condem him for trying but if you have an ambitious punt at bringing guys in, presumably you have a fall back position, given the ambitious nature of the moves concerned?

We are fucking threadbare at best at the back and NO-ONE has came in and we are, by his own admission, short of fitness. 

Yes, and the alternatives were?

I don't condem him for trying but if you have an ambitious punt at bringing guys in, presumably you have a fall back position, given the ambitious nature of the moves concerned?

We are fucking threadbare at best at the back and NO-ONE has came in and we are, by his own admission, short of fitness. 

Correct but who's to say there aren't alternatives? Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. Things take time and maybe, just maybe he's decided to shut his mouth until targets have put pen to paper. Not saying I'm hopeful. Just that it's possible.

Correct but who's to say there aren't alternatives? Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. Things take time and maybe, just maybe he's decided to shut his mouth until targets have put pen to paper. Not saying I'm hopeful. Just that it's possible.

I am to say there aren't. There were none there last night, unfortunately that's what matters.

If he brings in some faces by the start of the season fair enough but his start date was last night and he knew what he was going to have available, perhaps with the exception of Zander.

He made a James Hunt of it, irrespective of formations and tactics.