Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McGhee in the Herald

I take it he's telling Zander to keep it simple should he play:

Mark McGhee's demeanour as he prepared to lead Aberdeen into Europe tonight was one of recognition that he had just landed in the fire of Pittodrie having jumped from the frying pan at Motherwell.

Speaking on the eve of his first competitive game in charge - a qualifier against Sigma Olomouc of the Czech Republic - and raking over the familiar ground of Scottish football's perilous financial position, McGhee recognised the need for the club to progress in the Europa League.

An inability, due to a tighter- than-expected budget, to recruit new faces, and the departures of Scott Severin and Lee Mair, two players who had fitted into central defence when required, may pose a problem tonight should Zander Diamond fail to overcome an Achilles injury.

McGhee did not seem overly- concerned, although Diamond's take on his manager's comments may be interesting.

"It will be his decision," McGhee said, "and I would rather have someone who said he was fit regardless than one who was fit, but said he wasn't. If they are desperate enough to play, then I want them in the team, "But he's only really in the team to head it and boot it, so it won't affect things too much if he's not there. If he doesn't make it we will have to improvise, which shows why we need a third centre-half in.

"There is a bit of a black hole that we have to consider. If that means I have less to spend, I won't go stamping my feet. I will simply work even harder to do the best business I can with what money's available."

Aberdeen face a £600,000 shortfall in their budget after the collapse of Setanta, but McGhee sees this two-legged tie against the side who finished fourth in the Czech league last season as a chance to steal a march on his rivals.

He said: "There are a lot of good clubs with good managers in Scotland who will envy us the fact we have these games to look forward to.

"I'm sure Craig Levein will be wishing Dundee United was in there, both in terms of getting experience of European football and from the point of view that his club are in similar financial circumstances and would like the opportunity to fill that void.

"We have the chance to do that, which they don't, so we don't want to pass that up."

I take it he's telling Zander to keep it simple should he play:

Mark McGhee's demeanour as he prepared to lead Aberdeen into Europe tonight was one of recognition that he had just landed in the fire of Pittodrie having jumped from the frying pan at Motherwell.

Speaking on the eve of his first competitive game in charge - a qualifier against Sigma Olomouc of the Czech Republic - and raking over the familiar ground of Scottish football's perilous financial position, McGhee recognised the need for the club to progress in the Europa League.

An inability, due to a tighter- than-expected budget, to recruit new faces, and the departures of Scott Severin and Lee Mair, two players who had fitted into central defence when required, may pose a problem tonight should Zander Diamond fail to overcome an Achilles injury.

McGhee did not seem overly- concerned, although Diamond's take on his manager's comments may be interesting.

"It will be his decision," McGhee said, "and I would rather have someone who said he was fit regardless than one who was fit, but said he wasn't. If they are desperate enough to play, then I want them in the team, "But he's only really in the team to head it and boot it, so it won't affect things too much if he's not there. If he doesn't make it we will have to improvise, which shows why we need a third centre-half in.

"There is a bit of a black hole that we have to consider. If that means I have less to spend, I won't go stamping my feet. I will simply work even harder to do the best business I can with what money's available."

Aberdeen face a £600,000 shortfall in their budget after the collapse of Setanta, but McGhee sees this two-legged tie against the side who finished fourth in the Czech league last season as a chance to steal a march on his rivals.

He said: "There are a lot of good clubs with good managers in Scotland who will envy us the fact we have these games to look forward to.

"I'm sure Craig Levein will be wishing Dundee United was in there, both in terms of getting experience of European football and from the point of view that his club are in similar financial circumstances and would like the opportunity to fill that void.

"We have the chance to do that, which they don't, so we don't want to pass that up."

That could be taken any number of ways to be honest! ???