Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee: Plymouth pair out of our league

McGhee: Plymouth pair out of our league

By Michael Gannon

Published: 27/07/2009

Aberdeen's hopes of signing Plymouth duo Jim Paterson and Steve MacLean have been sunk as the Pittodrie club cannot afford the pair's wages.

Dons manager Mark McGhee hoped to land the Scottish players, who have become periphery figures at the English Championship club, on season-long loan deals but the moves have been scuppered due to finances.

McGhee is focusing his attentions on securing the services of Benin international defender Reda Johnson and signing a back-up goalkeeper before Thursday's Europa League third qualifying round first leg against Sigma Olomouc at Pittodrie.

The Dons want Johnson on a loan or permanent deal but French Third Division side Amiens, the 21-year-old's current employers, are holding firm for a transfer fee.

McGhee said: “I have done nothing more about those two (Paterson and MacLean) since I was told about their wages, which we cannot afford.

“I expect to sign Reda Johnson. His club is digging in its heels but I expect to get him – whether it is a loan deal or a permanent signing, both deals are on the table.

“We are also hoping to sign a goalkeeper by Thursday."

Meanwhile, Dons midfielder Gary McDonald carried the banner for Rangers in Europe. Now he is hoping to fly the flag for Aberdeen.

The former Kilmarnock player was a youth team player at Ibrox when he was selected to hold the Champions League banner as the Light Blues took on Steaua Bucharest.

That is the closest he has came to playing European football, so he is relishing the opportunity of going up against Sigma.

He said: “I have never played in Europe, so I am really looking forward to it. I was only 16-years-old when Kilmarnock were there and the closest I got was when I carried the banner on a couple of Champions League matches when I was a youth player.

“It was when Paul Gascoigne was there and it was a great experience. I would love to play in Europe. A few of the players here have told me about their experiences a couple of seasons ago and it would be great to do likewise.

“I feel we are ready. We did a lot of work in pre-season and we are very fit. It is just a case of getting that match fitness but we are ready for Thursday.

“In an ideal world we will keep a clean sheet and have a couple of goals advantage to take to the Czech Republic."

McDonald is one of several candidates for the Dons captaincy.

The 27-year-old former Oldham midfielder skippered the side against 1860 Munich in Austria and took the armband when Zander Diamond was substituted in the 1-1 draw against Dundee at Dens Park on Saturday.

He is in pole position to receive the role on a permanent basis, although McGhee has insisted he will name his skipper before the SPL kick-off against Celtic on August 15.

McDonald said: “The manager gave the armband to me first and he told me he was going to try a few other players as well. I enjoyed it but we are not making a big deal about it.

“All of the players are out there playing for each other and will get behind whoever is captain."

McGhee is now plotting for Thursday's match and he appealed to the Aberdeen supporters to back his side against Sigma.

He said: “It is a game like this when we need the punters there, pushing the players on. It is not this game which is romantic but the consequences of winning it is exciting.â€

Heard a rumour that we're trying to sign stevie hammell from motherwell after he had a falling out with the New management team

I don't care that he's rejected us before, but by all accounts we need a RB and quick fast. We know he can do a job in the SPL, its not like players rejecting us has been a problem before.

Hmm, obviously with any signing we make, we need them to be available for all possible games. I don't think LB is a priority either.

It may become a priority if McGhee decides to act on his plan to move Mulgrew into a more central position.

It may become a priority if McGhee decides to act on his plan to move Mulgrew into a more central position.

That is very true, but Hammel would still be useless due to his unavailability. As i've said before though, I view CB and RB as critical, despite it being open to debate, we have a player in Foster who could play LB.

There should be some money in the kitty for transfers this week.

My wife just bought me the new top for our Anniversary.

And a Mug

And a mouse mat

And furry Dice for my work van.

That should be enough for Two players at least.

Do you ken how much it is to post stuff from Scotland over to here!!??

I could buy half a team for it!

There should be some money in the kitty for transfers this week.

My wife just bought me the new top for our Anniversary.

And a Mug

And a mouse mat

And furry Dice for my work van.

That should be enough for Two players at least.

Do you ken how much it is to post stuff from Scotland over to here!!??

I could buy half a team for it!

So you took care of yourself rather than signing up two players for the dons? SELFISH BASTIRT.

Are we sure he wouldn't be eligibile?

Didn't Diarra play in Champions League for Real Madrid after playing in Europe for Portsmouth?

Or is that because it was different competitions?

I'm sure its because it was different competitions. Look at Arshavin, wasn't able to play for Arsenal in the Champs league after he'd turned out for Zenit earlier on in the season.