Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McGhee on Plymouth Pair - BBC

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is hopeful of raiding Plymouth for full-back Jim Paterson and striker Steve MacLean.

Paterson, 29, played for McGhee at Motherwell before moving to Argyle on a three-and-a-half year deal in January 2008 for a £250,000 fee.

MacLean, 26, joined Plymouth from Cardiff at the same time but has scored just five goals since then.

"I think we have the opportunity to get Jim Paterson on loan and maybe even Steve MacLean," McGhee told RedTV.

McGhee has yet to make a signing since he took over at Pittodrie last month, but defender Reda Johnson has impressed on trial with the Dons on their pre-season trip to Austria.

The 21-year-old Benin international is currently with French club Amiens having coming through the youth ranks at Gueugnon.

"We are having a look at two or three players out here," added McGhee. "One of them is a centre-half who looks very promising

"He looks like a good player and he looks like he could benefit Aberdeen.

"He is 6ft 4in, he is quick and strong, he has fitted in very well with the boys, he has trained very well and he looks very enthusiastic about coming to Scotland."

Aberdeen will play either Fram from Iceland or Czech side Sigma Olomouc in the third qualifying round of the Europa League and the signing deadline for that tie is 24 July.

"I know the supporters are looking for signings, but they've got to trust me to be a little bit patient and wait for the right player at the right time," said McGhee.

"What I will try to do is strengthen the team, not strengthen the bench, so the quality of player I need to do that has to be better than what I have here - and what I have here are good players."

Surely he is just softening the landing for adding very little to the squad with the comments about having good players already there. Either that or he is confident that he was able to achieve a number of decent performances out of a paper thin squad of average players at Motherwell so Aberdeen's squad almost appears to be an embarrassment of riches in his eyes.

Surely he is just softening the landing for adding very little to the squad with the comments about having good players already there. Either that or he is confident that he was able to achieve a number of decent performances out of a paper thin squad of average players at Motherwell so Aberdeen's squad almost appears to be an embarrassment of riches in his eyes.

That was mostly boosted by new manager syndrome and the fact that the team were so driven to succeed after O'donnell died. Last season was pretty pathetic without the extra motivation and also the injuries that totally exposed his policy of having a strong 1st team and little else in reserve. This seems to be the vision he has for us.  :-\

That was mostly boosted by new manager syndrome and the fact that the team were so driven to succeed after O'donnell died

Beg to differ. They had already gained 35 of their total of 60 points when O'Donnell died. If anything, they gained less points per game on average after O'Donnell died than they did before.

McGhee's proven at several clubs, not just Motherwell, that his first season in charge of a new club is moreoften than not the best season at that club. Therefore, I'm looking forward to this season with a certain degree of optimism.

2010/11 however ...

Beg to differ. They had already gained 35 of their total of 60 points when O'Donnell died. If anything, they gained less points per game on average after O'Donnell died than they did before.

McGhee's proven at several clubs, not just Motherwell, that his first season in charge of a new club is moreoften than not the best season at that club. Therefore, I'm looking forward to this season with a certain degree of optimism.

2010/11 however ...

Shame on them. I'm disgusted by this.  >:(

That was mostly boosted by new manager syndrome and the fact that the team were so driven to succeed after O'donnell died. Last season was pretty pathetic without the extra motivation and also the injuries that totally exposed his policy of having a strong 1st team and little else in reserve. This seems to be the vision he has for us.  :-\

Very easy to say and almost totally unable to prove.  Suits things nicely, eh?

JC won 4 matches since January. That's cunting awful. McGhee won more.  JC did better before Christmas. McGhee wasn't so good.  Is there any point in continuing with this?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Why you don't just give the guy a chance is fucking beyond me.

Much like every single argument there has been in the JMG/JIG 'debate'

Every last comment was just pure opinion.

JC won 4 matches since January. That's cunting awful. McGhee won more.  JC did better before Christmas. McGhee wasn't so good.  Is there any point in continuing with this?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Why you don't just give the guy a chance is fucking beyond me.

JC's league target in the league was europe - he got it, end of.

And Padre was hardly gunning for McGhee, raising genuine concern about how thin our squad is already, and how McGhee likes to run a squad this way. There is gonna be a point where he will need to bring in 'squad' players, or we'll have almost nobody to play for us. Given the choice i'm sure we'd all rather every signing was better than whats there before, but we have to deal with the reality we're in here.

And anyway, lets look at McGhee's record at the dons:

Wins: 0

Draws: 0

Defeats: 1

I believe that's a 100% failure rate ;)

MMMG

Much like every single argument there has been in the JMG/JIG 'debate'

Every last comment was just pure opinion.

JC's league target in the league was europe - he got it, end of.

And Padre was hardly gunning for McGhee, raising genuine concern about how thin our squad is already, and how McGhee likes to run a squad this way. There is gonna be a point where he will need to bring in 'squad' players, or we'll have almost nobody to play for us. Given the choice i'm sure we'd all rather every signing was better than whats there before, but we have to deal with the reality we're in here.

And anyway, lets look at McGhee's record at the dons:

Wins: 0

Draws: 0

Defeats: 1

I believe that's a 100% failure rate ;)

MMMG

Yeah god fucking forbid you achieve something outwith the bog standard non-threatening goals, eh? That's the attitude that's holding this club back. Fuck that.

I'm not so sure that the thin squad is a deliberate tactic here (although, granted I haven't examined McGhee's record at other clubs in detail). Lets not forget he has come to Aberdeen under some fairly exceptional circumstances. A global recession has bitten hard into clubs ability to generate income, a lucrative TV deal just collapsed and we have entered into a poorer deal subsequently. All this on top of our club trying to manage a huge debt, plan for a new stadium and generally cut our cloth accordingly has meant that any manager coming in was going to find the cupboards worse than bare. We should look to give McGhee our full support but if there is still reason to be critical then lets at least apply some understanding of the position he is likely in when trying to assemble his squad.

I'll give the guy a chance, I've told you this more than once, I just have reservations about the way he does things. I'll be fucked if I'm going to keep quiet about it just because you have a poster of McGhee above your bed.

NOTW reporting that the LSC leader is rumoured to be making a move to sign McLean now. Sure I also read somewhere in some ersewipe this weekend that Hughes is no longer on the radar of the Mini Huns.

Its on BBC sport saying they've cooled their interest, but i don't read the NOTW so I can't comment ;)

I'll give the guy a chance, I've told you this more than once, I just have reservations about the way he does things. I'll be fucked if I'm going to keep quiet about it just because you have a poster of McGhee above your bed.

Cracker.

Aye, Fuck steady progress, who wants that?

There was steady progress last season? We may have achieved Europe, but looking at that side I wouldn't say you are correct. huge problems in that side.

Cracker.

There was steady progress last season? We may have achieved Europe, but looking at that side I wouldn't say you are correct. huge problems in that side.

We were awful last season, there was only 3 or 4 games that I enjoyed and where we played a decent style of football, I thought we were going backwards but others didn't seem to and some actually thought we were going forwards.

Yes, the season before last we didn't make europe

Last season we made europe.

= Progress?

We were awful last season, there was only 3 or 4 games that I enjoyed and where we played a decent style of football

Same could be said for the whole SPL