Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I am seriously considering not renewing my season ticket. Just cannot see how we are going to be anyway decent unless we sign players and quickly. Miller was saying that the money for swapping managers would not affect playing budget. Does not seem like that is the case to me?

Plus we are getting the same tv money next season as we were supposed to get originally after todays announcement, so no excuses, lets get somethins done and quickly.

With every passing season I view the summer transfer window in the close season with dread more than anticipation.

What should have been an exciting close season prior to another euro adventure has got me disillusioned, frustrated, etc, etc.

What happened to all the cash that was supposed to have come from all these stay-away fans who were all going to come out of the woodwork and buy season tickets as soon as Jimmy Calderwood was sacked?

It may well be there. Just cos it's not being used on the transfer budget doesn't mean it's not been received. (not that i believe it has)

I'm sure someone on here said there'd be no money for transfers if we spent alot of cash sacking JC and on compensation to bring in McGhee... surely nobody could have predicted that?!?!?

I'm sure someone on a down-market AFC-Chat site site also said, (I'm paraphrasing) "Never Fear, Mark McGhee will do wonders with our squad that JC could never have achieved cos we need to bin the bam, JMG, drool, JMG".

They probably did. what's your point though?  Had we kept JC how do you know there would have been anything available to him considering there were board members against him and one of the major issues was how he couldn't spot a decent cheap player?

No - I'm nae a "Jiggler"  ::) - I just hope we go about things differently the next time.

Why? have we failed already? Is that not the defeatist attitude of another, down market afc chat site?  Maybe we held on too long the last time... just a thought.

I'm nae even fussed about the euro draw to be honest - think we'll get embarassingly pumped oot. Maybe once the draw is made I'll chagne my tune?

That's up to you. but whether it was JC or MM in charge, we're still up against it. To imply it's anything to do with the managerial change is inventive to say the least. We were always going to have a difficult time.

Surely nobody can enjoy looking forward to the prospect of seeing any of our 1st choice signing targets slowly being diminished into a continuous conveyor belt of trialists will injury histories as long as their dodgy legs.

Yeah, cos that never happened under JC, eh?

Where did it all go wrong?  :

Sorry, wasn't aware that it had.  Or is this just another soundbite to offer to the JMG that they "MAY" have got it wrong?  A chance to guard yourself against them in case it goes pete tong under McGhee.  If it has gone wrong now (I don't think it has, but...), then it has certainly got something to do with JC in it.  MM hasn't even had a game, but it's JC's team he's managing and there is a fair shower of shite in there... what does that say?

Ach - I get ye Bobby - it's just I'm offshore on nightshift and there's nae transfer news to lift my spirits.

Suppose it's the same for all clubs as well.

Maybe just need to be a bit happier with what we've got. Remember the days of excitment looking forward to seeing new starlets like Leon Mike and old experienced heads like Laurent D'Jaffo playing their first games for the Dons!  ;)

I think Scottish Fitba is up the creek with the rate it's losing supporters to armchair fitba and B&Q on a Saturday. That's what I meant with my "where did it all go wrong?". Nae just regarding Aberdeen. Scottish fitba needs something radical to happen and quick. The excitement has gone for alot of folk.

I know what you mean. My excitement left years ago, but my love for them *unfortunately* stays, and every season i think this is the one they're going to burst out the traps and do "it". We're in alright shape at the moment i think (i have no justification for this other than I'm an Aberdeen fan in close season and i'm a bit drunk but fuck it.) We will bring players in and some things will change under McGhee. Fuck knows what, don't ask me, I'm not a fucking mind reader  ;)

Yes, and every other SPL club will now be looking to make "movements" in the transfer market..... :(

As they were already.  As we were already. No one has gained or otherwise out of this, it's pretty much stayed the same, but let's not stop another reason for you to be angry with the club, eh?

I'm not angry at the club or management - I'm angry about the inability of the Scottish Fitba heirarchy to make a competitive product that attracts crowds. I blame the Old Firm.  :thumbsup:

It's a catch-22 situation though.

Whenever a team tries to play some decent, entertaining football in the SPL, they end up near the bottom of the league. Which means they switch to trying not too loose instead of trying to win, and when one team is sitting in defending, the other is never good enough to break down the other defense (or something along those lines - i'm rather tired)

But like somebody else was saying earlier - dillusioned! I've not bothered to renew my ST yet, not sure I will either, I didn't really enjoy large parts of last season, and even with our new management team, it's still gonna be the same SPL. The thought of just picking and choosing games sounds rather attractive to me.

Cold hard cash is the answer to most, if not all, of the issues here and that just isn't going to materialise any time soon.

Any team that has "succeeded" in Scotland ends up breaking up, play well, get noticed. To be honest we have done not too bad in holding on to and attracting a couple of decent performers (Smith, Seve, Nicholson, Kerr, Mulgrew, Miller) but it has to be increasingly difficult to hold on to players that do well with the money on offer elsewhere, irrespective of the perceived standard or level of fitba where the bucks are.

The way fitba is played out in Scotland has pretty much been as Dave described for a few years now and kinda validates the remarks from players like Nicholson and Seve on their departures. The general standard of player in Scotland is such that playing open fitba will get you absolutely fuck all over a season and the players capable of both attractive fitba and the ability to work hard are rare and more often than not expensive, so the defensive option is the way forward ie first and foremost don't lose games. It is easy to moan about a lack of creativity or flowing fitba but start shipping goals and that opens the floodgates to all manner of shite, folk get sacked.

I just hope that the "youth policy" is being given the priority and funding it is alledged to be getting by AFC as that is the only viable way of increasing the standards in the absence of any meaningful investment.

You just wonder what/who will be attracted not just to us but to Scottish fitba in general especially when an average player, by any way you wish to judge it, like Stephen Hughes can attract wages, probably more than double what we can offer, in the lower reaches of England. In that kind of context it makes everything clear about how fucked an environment McGhee has to work in to bring in players of any sort of decent quality.

It does also ask questions about a board who are more than willing to pay "a fucking fortune" to change management but then insist on fuck all for player investment. I really struggle with that regardless of any debate about what anyone thinks about current or previous management. 

Cold hard cash is the answer to most, if not all, of the issues here and that just isn't going to materialise any time soon.

Any team that has "succeeded" in Scotland ends up breaking up, play well, get noticed. To be honest we have done not too bad in holding on to and attracting a couple of decent performers (Smith, Seve, Nicholson, Kerr, Mulgrew, Miller) but it has to be increasingly difficult to hold on to players that do well with the money on offer elsewhere, irrespective of the perceived standard or level of fitba where the bucks are.

The way fitba is played out in Scotland has pretty much been as Dave described for a few years now and kinda validates the remarks from players like Nicholson and Seve on their departures. The general standard of player in Scotland is such that playing open fitba will get you absolutely fuck all over a season and the players capable of both attractive fitba and the ability to work hard are rare and more often than not expensive, so the defensive option is the way forward ie first and foremost don't lose games. It is easy to moan about a lack of creativity or flowing fitba but start shipping goals and that opens the floodgates to all manner of shite, folk get sacked.

I just hope that the "youth policy" is being given the priority and funding it is alledged to be getting by AFC as that is the only viable way of increasing the standards in the absence of any meaningful investment.

You just wonder what/who will be attracted not just to us but to Scottish fitba in general especially when an average player, by any way you wish to judge it, like Stephen Hughes can attract wages, probably more than double what we can offer, in the lower reaches of England. In that kind of context it makes everything clear about how fucked an environment McGhee has to work in to bring in players of any sort of decent quality.

It does also ask questions about a board who are more than willing to pay "a fucking fortune" to change management but then insist on fuck all for player investment. I really struggle with that regardless of any debate about what anyone thinks about current or previous management.    

I'm a bit surprised you're saying that as there's nothin to prove that there isn't a decent budget to be used so far. Hopefully there will be some substantial movement over the next few days. McGhee  said on the afc site there are players who've yet to be even mentioned that he is hoping to sign.

A centre back, right back and a right winger are positions which i feel are needed to be looked at.

I'm a bit surprised you're saying that as there's nothin to prove that there isn't a decent budget to be used so far. Hopefully there will be some substantial movement over the next few days. McGhee  said on the afc site there are players who've yet to be even mentioned that he is hoping to sign.

A centre back, right back and a right winger are positions which i feel are needed to be looked at.

Lip service.