Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGhee's Comments ahead of Pre-Season Trip

The players went home this afternoon to pack as they leave for Austria tomorrow morning. Mark McGhee spoke to RedTV after training today before he headed home.

"We are really delighted what we are seeing in the players. Their attitude, their effort, their ability, their quality. It is really quite exciting.

"In Austria we will be able to get a lot of work done. That is important with the big game coming up at the end of the month which we have to be ready for. The trip will allow us the chance to fast track the fitness, the style of play we want to introduce and just generally our own ideas. Spending 24 hours a day with the players is a great way to get to know them and also developing the way we want to play.

"I have several trialists lined up and they will be joining us at various stages during our trip out there. At the moment there are three or four who are foreign and one who is British.

"I have an finite amount of money to spend on new players so I am going to be very careful in how I am going to spend it in terms of the quality of players and also in the position so I want to go to Austria and learn about what I have myself here first before I start spending money in a area I don't have to spend.

"The players who have been mentioned in the press, Stephen Hughes, Steven MacLean and Jim Paterson, are all players in an ideal world we would bring here, they are all good players but Stephen Hughes has apparently turned down a big money move to an English club therefore it puts him out of our price range. I would therefore say it is very unlikely Stephen will come here. The other two are players I like, players we could work with but I do have other options abroad before I make any decisions."

this is good news, between this and the other post it seems he knows what we really need. ( centre half and striker ). Hughes out of the picture now means we can look seriously with some wages freed up to get in the quality required.

I also think Maclean could be the striker required if he is proven to be fit.

Just a big fella for the back and we're good to go for europe

this is good news, between this and the other post it seems he knows what we really need. ( centre half and striker ). Hughes out of the picture now means we can look seriously with some wages freed up to get in the quality required.

it should come to this, Hughes out of our price range. A thoroughly average player can command 7 or 8 k a week. Jesus wept. A player who could do us a wee turn though but "big money move"? No.

We need another midfielder, desperately.

From a purely comparitive point of view, it would be quite interesting to see how well McGhee would fair with the same players as last season.

I don't. We're going to get the comparisons with the Calderwood era regardless. And the Paterson era, and old uncle Ebbe... etc. The point is that such comparisons don't tell us anything about anything. Different players, different tactics, different opposition teams. There is nothing to gain from it.

In reality, with the departures that we've had and the lack of bodies coming back in return of course quality will have suffered, but I think it'll have suffered across the board in the SPL. What is for sure is that we're in for another season of largely shite football, interspersed with probably moments of joy....I think this would have been the case even if we still had JC.

Not to say I'd rather have him as that debate has been done to death. (I don't and we've moved on now).

I don't. We're going to get the comparisons with the Calderwood era regardless. And the Paterson era, and old uncle Ebbe... etc. The point is that such comparisons don't tell us anything about anything. Different players, different tactics, different opposition teams. There is nothing to gain from it.

In reality, with the departures that we've had and the lack of bodies coming back in return of course quality will have suffered, but I think it'll have suffered across the board in the SPL. What is for sure is that we're in for another season of largely shite football, interspersed with probably moments of joy....I think this would have been the case even if we still had JC.

Not to say I'd rather have him as that debate has been done to death. (I don't and we've moved on now).

Spot on mate. But it's going to happen. There are posters on here that if things don't go too well will say "It wouldn't have been like this under JC, hope you're all happy now etc" and there would be others going the other way should we get off to a flier. Achieves nothing, answers even less.

Spot on mate. But it's going to happen. There are posters on here that if things don't go too well will say "It wouldn't have been like this under JC, hope you're all happy now etc" and there would be others going the other way should we get off to a flier. Achieves nothing, answers even less.

Some posters here and elsewhere would deserve that kind of response though BB such was their wet dream over appointing McGhee.

That said, you are both right, such comparisons and discussions are bereft of any real value.

Some posters here and elsewhere would deserve that kind of response though BB such was their wet dream over appointing McGhee.

That said, you are both right, such comparisons and discussions are bereft of any real value.

I can understand why it would happen, but I don't think it would be a fair representation of those arguing nor of the health of AFC be it under MM or, in a hypothetical scenario, under JC.

In my opinon, we were getting to the stage where some folk were just taking the extreme opposing side from others simply because of who that poster was. Some were going to extremes they should never have visited just because they didn't want to be seen to be in the other's camp (or so it seemed).

We all want the Dons to be succesful, I'm sure none of us want to get to the stage where we say "We told you so", there's no glory in that, even for those not over furnished in the brain department. (take note, Stoney  :thumbsup:)

We need another midfielder, desperately.

yes we do need a midfielder, but it's a combatitive midfielder we're screaming out for not a lanky Stephen Hughes.

I don't really care if the midfielder we bring in has any real talent so long as he's a ball winner and determined to give 100 % not things Hughes was reknowned for.

In my opinon, we were getting to the stage where some folk were just taking the extreme opposing side from others simply because of who that poster was.

True, and to be honest, I can't see the whole JMG/JIG thing going away until McGhee is eventually sacked (sigh)

Back on topic, we also need a back-up keeper.

A left back wouldn't go a miss either.

yes we do need a midfielder, but it's a combatitive midfielder we're screaming out for not a lanky Stephen Hughes.

I don't really care if the midfielder we bring in has any real talent so long as he's a ball winner and determined to give 100 % not things Hughes was reknowned for.

I'm not sure really. If, and it is a big if, Dingus wants us playing 4-3-3, then Kerr behind McDonald and Hughes would be very, very good I think.  I'd be very happy to see that midfield if that's the formation he wants to implement. that'd be as good a midfield as any in the country to be honest.  Both Mcdonald and Hughes aren't really tacklers, but they're busy players and will close down and anticipate more than tackle which can be just as effective, a la Darren Fletcher.

Lets be honest, a whole team wouldn't go amiss

Not sure about that MBT.  I think there is a major imbalance with our first team. I think there are a handful of players - Langfield, Diamond, Kerr, McDonald, Aluko and Miller - who, in SPL terms I really wouldn't swap.  The lads around them however, are maybe not up to the level we desire. Mulgrew can be a very good player when he can be arsed.  Considine the same, but for different reasons.  The nucleus of a good team is definitely there, and I'd be more than a little annoyed if we lost one of those players who I said I wouldn't swap (something I never thought I'd say about Langfield).

I don't disagree BB, was more highlighting that, after naming a first 11, which I think most of us could from the present squad, we've fuck all in the way of cover/challengers for places across the whole team. I'm not suggesting we need 2 complete teams, but we do need plsyers in several positions as already discussed, and we need better cover in a lot of areas other than our youth/resrve players.

I appreciate almost all the rest of the SPL is in the same boat, but the bigot bros will always manage to keep reasonably large/strong squads to stay out in ffront of the rest, but hearts seem to be managing to find players, as are dundee utd, other teams seem to manage to find loan signings, just makes me wonder why AFC are so craap at this (the only recent exception bein Aluko)

I am concerned we dont have the squad to compete for top 4, let alone get anywhere in Europe

I don't disagree BB, was more highlighting that, after naming a first 11, which I think most of us could from the present squad, we've fuck all in the way of cover/challengers for places across the whole team. I'm not suggesting we need 2 complete teams, but we do need plsyers in several positions as already discussed, and we need better cover in a lot of areas other than our youth/resrve players.

I appreciate almost all the rest of the SPL is in the same boat, but the bigot bros will always manage to keep reasonably large/strong squads to stay out in ffront of the rest, but hearts seem to be managing to find players, as are dundee utd, other teams seem to manage to find loan signings, just makes me wonder why AFC are so craap at this (the only recent exception bein Aluko)

I am concerned we dont have the squad to compete for top 4, let alone get anywhere in Europe

Know what you mean chief.  It is a worry, but, the one thing I can say is that the window shuts in over a month and a half's time so we've got plenty of time to get some players in. we've obviously got Europa and SPL action before that but I reckon we'll have at least one or two in for them. 

Let's face it, come November, and we're flying high, will it matter that we signed players after Celtic or Rangers or Hearts as long as these guys are doing the business for us?  Of course it won't. McGhee's working with a new squad, as he said himself, being away in austria with them will let him see more of their abilities and disabilities (sic - no jokes about Mackie!!) and will perhaps give him a clearer idea of what's needed, which wouldn't have been the case a week or two ago.

From a purely comparitive point of view, it would be quite interesting to see how well McGhee would fair with the same players as last season.

You could never really get this as other teams might be stronger/weaker than last season and also some of our players have left including our captain.

Add the fact some of the players that got a game under Calderwood will/might not get a game with McGhee