Miller & McGhee Interviews

from the BBC, apologies if already posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8098061.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8098019.stm

Very interesting to hear Willie Miller emphasise the "attractive football" line so much, let's hope it works out like that.

Think McGhee comes across very well, and Hughes is clearly a target. I read on Mad (I think, it may well have been here) that Leitch is on his way to Glasgow to meet Hughes to convince him to sign for us rather than Hearts who have made an offer to him already. Can't say I'm too confident of getting him considering we're competing with their wages. You never know though....

I get fucked off when the folk who work for me text in sick, I find it hilarious on the odd occasion where someone texts in asking for a job, but I feel much better now knowing that Celtic Football Club text people to let them know they're not going to be manager.  ;D

Hopefully McGhee sends Derek Young a text now telling him not to bother coming back from his holidays this year.

And another to all the strikers saying "The goal is over HERE!"

A bit from Zander, taken from the Guardian:

Vice-captain, Zander Diamond, expressed his satisfaction at the appointment of a manager so steeped in Aberdeen's history. "It's great news for us, having a Gothenburg legend at the club," he said. "It is a bit of positive news from my point of view, having left three weeks ago uncertain about what was happening.

"I think the club will benefit from a new manager coming in. They are interesting times and exciting times and fans will give him time because he is a legend.

"Some fans were not behind previous managers but they will give the new manager their full backing," he added. McGhee has also had managerial spells at Reading, Leicester, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Millwall.

I get fucked off when the folk who work for me text in sick, I find it hilarious on the odd occasion where someone texts in asking for a job, but I feel much better now knowing that Celtic Football Club text people to let them know they're not going to be manager.  ;D

Hopefully McGhee sends Derek Young a text now telling him not to bother coming back from his holidays this year.

And another to all the strikers saying "The goal is over HERE!"

Would he have to attach an image with that ?  ;)

This 1 year rolling contract malarky concerns me

is it a case that McGhee has eyes to fuck off at the end of the season if celtic etc come calling,  or that the club are looking to avoid a compensation payout should they wish to punt him at the end of the season?

Didnt we have Calderwood and Nicholl on a 2 year rolling contract to begin with?

Id like to think that with this appointment we have seen the end of our manager praising the opposition for 50% of our post match interviews and then blaming players for not understanding the tactics

Id like to see interviews like Fergie's at the end of the 83 scottish cup final (copy the youtube link below into yer browser to see it)

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSiBq2Q0MU-

from the BBC, apologies if already posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8098061.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8098019.stm

Very interesting to hear Willie Miller emphasise the "attractive football" line so much, let's hope it works out like that.

Think McGhee comes across very well, and Hughes is clearly a target. I read on Mad (I think, it may well have been here) that Leitch is on his way to Glasgow to meet Hughes to convince him to sign for us rather than Hearts who have made an offer to him already. Can't say I'm too confident of getting him considering we're competing with their wages. You never know though....

Cheers for those links, loved what McGhee had to say, sent a wee shiver down my spine with the comments about how the city looked as if it had been cleaned up for him, I look forward to what he has to bring here, if we get Hughes and a couple of other targets that he has told the board about then I will be confident of 3rd place.

TF, did you love the winning fitba that JC brought us?

I really cant remember many people complaining about the style of football during calderwood's first season, that was football based almost entirely on grinding out 1-0 wins most weeks. I take it you hated us playing winning football back then didnt you minijc?

Not really no, you must admit it got much worse though over the time he was here?  it started like that then ended up as a simple PUUUUUUUUUNT, my ethos on the game is for it to be played in a simple yet attractive way, I think McGhee does this and keeps to his ethos no matter who he is playing against.

Also the reason that worked soo well with Jimmy in the first year was because of the players high fitness levels, which also got worse as time went on and all the pints caught up on them, mainly seve, soo fucking slow I was surprised he hadn't grown roots.

Another interview in sporting life:

Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee has said the chance to return to Pittodrie was too big an opportunity to turn down.

In May last year the 52-year-old was offered the chance to become Hearts manager but decided to stay with Motherwell for another season.

But one year on McGhee feels ready to take on a new challenge.

"I think the timing was wrong for me to move last year," he said. "There was a lot of things going on at that time. We had the tragedy of Phil O'Donnell's death and I felt a bit of responsibility to stick with those players that had gone through that.

"I also became a father in June and I felt the Hearts job would have taken me away from home too much. I also don't really have any sort of relationship with Hearts.

"In the end I felt I couldn't go there and give the job everything it needed, whereas I have a great affection for Aberdeen. My son is also now a year older and I am ready to move from Motherwell."

McGhee spent six glittering years at Pittodrie as a player, scoring 63 goals in 164 appearances and helping the Dons lift the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1983.

The former Wolves, Millwall and Leicester boss said returning to the club brings back lots of fond memories.

"The time I spent at Aberdeen laid the foundations for my entire career," he said. "It started here under Sir Alex Ferguson and as a group of players we went on an unbelievable ride.

"We won a European Cup, three Scottish Cups in a row, league championships and there were some amazing European nights. The memories that I have at this football club are outstanding and coming back as manager is totally brilliant."

Despite his delight at taking up his new post, McGhee admitted it was tough to leave Motherwell after two emotional years in charge.

"I had a terrific time and a difficult time at Motherwell," he said. "We had some amazing performances on the pitch but we also went through Phil's death, which was a tragedy.

"It was a rollercoaster of emotions and a period of my managerial career that I will never forget. I will always be grateful to John Boyle (the chairman), the players and the fans for the support they gave me during the two years."

The Aberdeen boss has told the Red Army to expect an exciting year of football in the coming season.

McGhee added: "I think they have seen on the occasions when Motherwell came to Pittodrie that we passed the ball about and Aberdeen will do the same. We will play forward thinking, attacking football. It will be expansive football and hopefully we will play with a bit of aggression and a bit of steel. We intend to be a team that does not get beaten easily but also entertains the supporters."

McGhee said he was determined to prove he is capable of managing the Dons after having been rejected in 1999 by the club who at that time decided to appoint Ebbe Skovdahl as boss instead.

He added: "I was unemployed at the time so I was quite disappointed not to get the job. They made a decision to go with a foreign coach and I had to live with it. It has taken a while but I am here now.

"You always have something to prove and I have been in management for about 18 years and I am quite happy to have another 18 but I know if I want to do that I have to keep being successful."

Not really no, you must admit it got much worse though over the time he was here?  it started like that then ended up as a simple PUUUUUUUUUNT, my ethos on the game is for it to be played in a simple yet attractive way, I think McGhee does this and keeps to his ethos no matter who he is playing against.

Also the reason that worked soo well with Jimmy in the first year was because of the players high fitness levels, which also got worse as time went on and all the pints caught up on them, mainly seve, soo fucking slow I was surprised he hadn't grown roots.

It would fucking need to be!

And where did you copy the word ethos from?