P&J: Dons door opening for Hughes

aberdeen could be ready to compete with hibs for falkirk manager if McGHEE WAITS FOR CELTIC

By Michael Gannon

Published: 02/06/2009

Celtic’s delay in appointing a new manager could open the door for Falkirk’s John Hughes to move to Aberdeen.

Celtic have made an approach to English Championship club Swansea City to talk to its manager Roberto Martinez.

But as the saga shows no sign of being resolved, Motherwell manager Mark McGhee’s desire to wait for Celtic’s call could scupper his chances of a Pittodrie move.

Hughes is flattered to be linked with both the Aberdeen and Hibernian positions but insists he has not been approached by either club. Hughes supported Hibs as a boy and has been strongly tipped to take charge at Easter Road after the resignation of Mixu Paatelainen last week.

Hughes has also emerged as a contender to succeed Jimmy Calderwood at Pittodrie as the SPL managerial merry-go-round threatens to grind to a halt.

Aberdeen are not prepared to wait forever for McGhee and could be ready to compete with Hibs for the services of the Falkirk manager. Hughes is a former Hibs captain and the 44-year-old’s stock has risen after he guided the Bairns to the Scottish Cup final.

He also managed to save Falkirk from SPL relegation with a final-day victory at Inverness.

Despite adding several veteran players to his Falkirk squad last term, including former Dons defender Jackie McNamara, Hughes has reputation for bringing young players through the ranks.

This could appeal to a Dons board which will increasingly have to rely on its youth set-up in the recession.

Hughes claims there has been no contact from Aberdeen – a claim echoed by Mark McGhee when contacted by the Press and Journal yesterday.

Hughes said: “It is very flattering to have your name linked with two great clubs.

“Aberdeen are a big club with a great tradition and everyone knows what Hibs mean to me, having been born and bred in Leith.

“But as far as I am concerned it is purely speculation.

“I have not heard anything concrete, so until anything official comes up there is nothing for me to think about.

“I was at Falkirk yesterday and we held a meeting but the speculation was not discussed and we are getting on with things. All we spoke about was the plans for the future, preparing for the Europa League and trying to get our heads round what happened at the weekend.

“It is only just sinking in what happened at Hampden on Saturday and how close we were to having the Scottish Cup sitting in front of us.

“It will be a while before the disappointment goes away.

“Just now it is Falkirk, Falkirk, Falkirk, all the way and I am 100% committed to the club until I am told otherwise.â€

My head tells me John Hughes would be a disaster waiting to hapen at Aberdeen, but this is the gamble that Ajja was talking about.  None of us know for sure what Hughes or any other manager could achieve (or not) at the club.  Same as we don't know if Jimmy was on the brink of something special next season.

All we can do now is get right behind whoever the new man is, and hope for the best.  :AFC2:

I always like what Hughes has got to say, always makes me laugh too.

There's no arguing that Falkirk play some attractive football and you could argue with more resources that Hughes could actually do something at Aberdeen.

Only one way to find out and it might be worth the gamble as I don't see what the likes of Levein (who I think is a decent manager) would bring that he hasn't already done at Hearts or United?

I always like what Hughes has got to say, always makes me laugh too.

There's no arguing that Falkirk play some attractive football and you could argue with more resources that Hughes could actually do something at Aberdeen.

Only one way to find out and it might be worth the gamble as I don't see what the likes of Levein (who I think is a decent manager) would bring that he hasn't already done at Hearts or United?

He certainly speaks with honesty and from the heart but its often very naive and I always think to myself 'he is really rather thick' although quite disarming. I suspect he manages in the same way, with a degree of heart but a lot of naivity and lack of intelligence. His disarming honesty probably secures him some good relationships, hence the loan deals and youth commitments. I would think it a risky appointment but who knows ?

Would the Red Army take 4th place finishes and semi finals of cups if we were playing silky football?

I dare say most would, however they aint going to get that.  The SPL doesn't lend itself to 'silky football', and teams that try it often end up scrapping to retain their spl status. While the media masturbate about Hibs style of football, we all know it's a bit of a myth.  The truth is they've been no better than us for years now in terms of product, and much worse in terms of league position.

They have however been selling their stock for millions and have a fat pocket because of it.

Would the Red Army take 4th place finishes and semi finals of cups if we were playing silky football whilst decreasing the debt each season?

I'd suggest Hughes with his track record of utilising youth and us having now got some coming through that he might not be that bad a candidate.

Actually, I was just playing devil's advocate but I'm surprised at how many people were against the notion.  I'm sure there were a few people mentioning his name this time last season.

I think most people would have expected him to be pushing far higher up the table than where they finished.

I think most people would have expected him to be pushing far higher up the table than where they finished.

I tipped Falkirk to be very strong this year. I honestly thought that with his excellent youth players that Hughes had done exactly the right thing in bringing in some old heads to bring them on. With the likes of McCann, Pressley, MacNamara and Bullen I thought they would be a very hard team to beat. Just as well I ain't in for the Dons job! Wonder what went wrong, as on paper it looked quite interesting. Can only conclude it was the management. Maybe when he has that balance right it doesn't work for Hughes, he might only know how to work with young, naive but keen players.