Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Anderson to Middlesbourgh "within days"

Guest Beautysheep

Guest Beautysheep

Just heard this on radio: "Newspaper reports this morning claim that Aberdeen have agreed a fee of £1 million with Middlesbourgh for captain Anderson. He is expected to leave within days.

Could easily just be the same old B-S being regurgitated.  Anyone know any more?

Agree with what Bobby said above.

This would be extremely disappointing if indeed true, and certainly takes the edge of the good end to last season.

If the club are desperate to sell Cadger, then for fuck sake surely they should be trying ot sitr up a bidding war, instead of just taking the first offer that actually comes their way. >:(

Middlesborough have apparently made an INITIAL offer of £1M, according to ONE paper. d'ya think if it was a done deal the retard would't be gloating all over the back page?

Regardless, Anderson surely won't want to waste the opportunity of European football to play with a buch of w*nky never-has-beens?

Guest kilahun

Its on MFC website that they are preparing a bid of £1m for Anderson so it hasn't been accepted yet.  Surely we won't accept that amount?  If Milne has any ambition for us then he has to reject that offer and only agree to sell for a much higher amount.  Yes we need the money but our financial status isn't as bad as most spl teams and is managable just now and he knows the sale of pittodrie will cover all our debt in the near future.

Guest innesciver

Not much, if any!!  Not sure if they would even go for a replacement with Mair and McNamara coming in.

If indeed Russell were to leave for around 2 million - what might J. C. get to play with?

???

Maybe would allow him to address the midfield engine room - pity Bodde went to Swansea. Another winger - would love to see a move for Adam Hammill. Keeper and striker would conclude business. Hope these moves are afoot as I can't see too many clubs interested in releasing their players on free transfers if they get a whiff of the couple of million coming our way.

Guest Beautysheep

Report in today's P&J below.  I think it's now a matter of when and how much, rather than if...

THANKS A MILLION, OR MAYBE NOT

08:50 - 19 June 2007

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne will decide whether £1million is enough to convince the club to sell Dons captain Russell Anderson as interest in the defender grows.

Premiership club Middlesbrough are reported to be ready to make a £1million bid for Anderson this week and Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood fears the decision will be taken out of his and director of football Willie Miller's hands.

Newly-promoted Derby County are keen to take Boro central defender Chris Riggott back to Pride Park.

Riggott is behind Jonathan Woodgate, Emanuel Pogatetz and Robert Huth in Riverside pecking order and, if he departs, Boro manager Gareth Southgate will need a fourth central defender. Anderson is tipped as his target.

The Dons are £9million in debt and, while stressing no bid has been made by Boro, Calderwood admits a seven-figure offer for a player who is out of contract a year from now could prove too good to turn down.

He said: "As a manager you always want more but we will have to wait for when, or if, a bid comes in.

"If, and I hope nothing comes of it, a bid does come in for a player who has a year left on his contract then any club, including Rangers and Celtic, has to look at it seriously. I am not saying we are going to accept it, though.

"Most of the football business at the club is decided between Willie and myself but there are occasions when you have to talk to the major figures at the club.

"If figures of a million pounds or more are being mentioned I am sure the chairman will like to know about it and he will probably have a big say about it."

There is a growing fear at Pittodrie Anderson's future lies away from the club he has served for more than a decade and chairman Milne admitted recently the club cannot compete with the lure of Premiership.

Milne said: "Russell has reached the stage in his career where what we can afford to pay him and what he might get in England are miles apart. I would love to see him spend the rest of his career at Pittodrie because he epitomises what Aberdeen are all about. But when you see the wages available down south, who could blame him for looking? I hope it doesn't come to that but if he does leave, it would be with our blessing and gratitude for all he's done."

Calderwood, meanwhile, is considering whether to bolster his squad with another forward following Dutch amateur Robert Fik's decision to reject a one-year deal last week.

New targets have been identified but Calderwood is conscious of the need to give youth talent already at the club a chance.

He said: "We have a couple of things we might pursue. We have Chris Maguire and Michael Paton coming through and we have to leave room for them, so we will see. We received a call last week about an experienced player who is on a free, but we haven't decided whether to pursue it yet."

Am i the only one that just wishes they'd shut the fuck up about a bid that hasn't happened?

If it happens, then fine.  But until then, please can everyone down Pittodrie way hit the the "i dont know what we'll do if we get an offer for Russel Anderson" chat on the head. 

It's getting right on my tits. >:D

What's worth more?

Having Anderson help us achieve more next season, or a quickie £1M?

Let's whore our best player and captain for a quick buck and f*ck the future >:D >:D:hammer:

He's STILL UNDER CONTRACT so tell them english minks to GTF

spot on mad bad. i dont want us to do what killie and hibs do and sell our best players as soon as any of them have a few good games. i want us to build a team that will bring success to the club and along with it money

to tell u the truth i think this is all a wee mind game. With Jimmy sayin no about it and Milne and media sayin aye. And Russell even said hes stayin. Could b proven wrong and would definetly hate 2 b cus losing russell means losing ony decent stablity at the back apart fae maybe mcnamara.

I think it would be very difficult to knock back any bid of a million plus. We are a club with major debt and can we really afford to lose Anderson for nothing in less than a year?  You can argue the fees for players like Brown but I think these guys were all on longer contracts. While people moan about ambition by not keeping Anderson the fact that we were 3rd and in Europe may just encourage a decent defender to come our way. I think most of the fee would be used to service debt but we'd sign an experienced central defender to complement our younger central defenders (dare I say someone like a Craig Moore or Bobo Balde.) I don't really know what central defenders are available and as much as I want to keep Anderson I just don't see how we can afford to keep Russ if bids come in.

What's worth more?

Having Anderson help us achieve more next season, or a quickie £1M?

Let's whore our best player and captain for a quick buck and f*ck the future >:D >:D:hammer:

He's STILL UNDER CONTRACT so tell them english minks to GTF

1 million quid for Russ is an absolute disgrace.

If the club accepts it I'll probably reconsider my Redweb subscription for next season, so they can cut the profit margin on Russ to 999,970

If, on the other hand they want to come up with what he's actually worth, that being 2 million then so be it.

If the club accepts it I'll probably reconsider my Redweb subscription for next season, so they can cut the profit margin on Russ to 999,970

Which ... funnily enough ... is almost exactly the same price to the penny that we sold Davie Robertson for about a decade and a half ago