Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Willie Miller Interview - EE May 25

Thanks to Sonic from the hat for typing this up:

Dons Director of Football Willie Miller today lifted the lid on why Jimmy Calderwood was axed on the day Aberdeen qualified for Europe.

Miller reveals in his exclusive column in tthe Evening Express that Calderwood was informed long before the must-win game against Hibs that his time at Pittodrie was over.

And as the Dons battled for a spot in Europe, Miller insists the timing of the decision was right. He also claims compensation to Calderwood, Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark will not eat into funds for the squad.

Q WHY PART COMPANY WITH CALDERWOOD NOW, WHEN HE HAS JUST GUIDED THE TEAM INTO EUROPE?

A The decision was made because it is the end of the season and that is when we do our talking. There have been too many occasions at clubs when they are forced into making such a change. When a radical change like this is forced on a club due to bad results it is normally done in an unsavoury way. With the season coming toclose it was important that we sit down and assess how the club performed, and also to look at where the club is going. After discussion it was decided that it was time to make a change, and that is what we have done. We have tried to do this in a sensible manner and with as much dignity as we can.

Q WAS JIMMY INFORMED BEFORE THE GAME THAT HE WAS BEING AXED. AND IF TRUE, WAS THERE NOT A DANGER IT COULD HAVE RERAILED PREPARATIONS FOR A MUST-WIN GAME?

A Yes, Jimmy was informed well before the match against Hibs. He is a professional and I do not think it would have been difficult for him at all to get the players ready for the game. Jimmy went about his tactics the way he always did. I was not suprised that he managed to get the team playing well. It says a lot for the man that he was able to get a performance out of the team.

Q WHAT IS YOUR ASSESSMENT OF CALDERWOOD'S TIME AT THE CLUB?

A Since coming to Pittodrie Jimmy has done a great job to get the club stablised. Under him we have also reached the top six consistently and reached Europe on a number of occasions. It was fantastic to be in that European stage and to have big games against clubs like Bayern Munich. We are delighted with what he has produced over the last five years. If anyone asks me about them I will certainly be given a high appraisal of Jimmy, Jimmy Nicholl, and Sandy Clark.

Q YOU CLAIM THE CLUB ARE DELIGHTED WITH WHAT CALDERWOOD ACHIEVED, SO WHY AXE HIM?? WAS IT THE POOR CUP PERFORMANCE?

A No, although the absence of cup success was a source of frustration. We just felt it has been five years and it is time fora fresh start. Tough decisions have to be made in football, but it was time to move on. The decision maybe did come as a shock to the fans, but we decided it was time for a fresh challenge. It was time to welcome the challenge of bringing a new manager to the club. Jimmy can also look forward to a new challenge with another club. Both parties, the club and Jimmy, agreed it was time for a change. It was by mutual consent.

Q AFTER REACHING EUROPE AND AXING A MANAGER, WILL THE EXPECTATIONS ON HIS REPLACEMENT BE HIGHER?

A No, my expectations are very much down to earth and sensible for the club. It will not be any higher or lower than the five years Jimmy was at Pittodrie. Whoever the new manager is will get the same support as Jimmy did. Thoughout his time as manager he received the full backing of the board, through the good times and the bad times. But with the club in Europe the new manager, whoever it is, will have to hit the ground running. We are an ambitious club and want to do well at that stage.

Q DID THE FANS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE DECISION?

A No. The good thing is we never saw the ugly side of how fans can be. There was some banners and a minor protest outside Pittodrie after the Inverness Caley game, but nothing major.

Q WHEN DOES THE SEARCH FOR A NEW MANAGER BEGIN AND DO YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC TARGET?

A We will need a little bit of time after the decision to part company with the manager. First we will enjoy the fact that the club have reached Europe yet again and that the team put in a good performance. Then once everything has settled we will start out search. Being manager of Aberdeen is an exciting job and hopefully that will help us on our search for a replacement. The club has a good name in football any anyone who enjoys managing a well-run club will hopefully be interested in the job. Being in Europe obviously gives us an extra bargaining tool to take in any manager.

Q WAS THE DECISION MUTUALLY AGREED BY THE BOARD?

A Yes. It was a mutual decision between the board and Jimmy.

Q CALDERWOOD, NICHOLL AND CLARK STILL HAD TWO YEARS LEFT ON THEIR DEALS. WILL ANY COMPENSATION PAYMENTS IMPACT ON FUNDS TO REPLACE PLAYERS LIKE SEVERIN AND SMITH SHOULD THEY LEAVE?

A That is a very private thing that always happens when managers part company with a club. It is a financial matter that the board have taken into account. We have that covered. As for funds for the squad it will not impact on that. There will be same funds available to the new manager. Obviously that will be subject to the Setanta deal that was in place. As that is still up in the air we still do now know that. We still do not know the full impact of the Setanta situation. But it will have an impact on every club in Scotland, not just Aberdeen.

Q WILL YOU COME IN AS INTERIM MANAGER, OR TAKE ON THE POSITION PERMANENTLY?

A Absolutely not. I am not a manger anymore. I have not been a manager sine I left the club in the nineties and I have no intention of coming back as a manager. That part of my life is finished and I will not be manager at this club, or any other club again.

Q WILL ERIC BLACK OR MARK MCGHEE BE ABERDEEN'S NEXT MANAGER?

A At the moment we have made absolutely no approaches to anyone with a view to taking on the manger's role. I am sure a lot of names will be conjured up in the next few weeks, but there is no one on the horizon.

I think it's looking more and more likely that Miller didn't want to part company with Jimmy.  he thinks JC did a great job, it wasn't the failure in the cups and yet the expectations for the new man remain the same.  Looks like the Board were more eager for change than Willie.

Have you even see MiniJC's posts on here?

A fishing trip that clearly never got any bites at all you mean?  :-*

You'll be lucky to find much mention on the protest at all on the Hat at the moment, the fact is that he is gone and that's all most are really arsed about. Others can pretend we're claiming full responsibility for this decision and scream blue murder if they like.

Back on topic, WM has been seriously overruled here. He'll be raging.

You'll be lucky to find much mention on the protest at all on the Hat at the moment, the fact is that he is gone and that's all most are really arsed about. Others can pretend we're claiming full responsibility for this decision and scream blue murder if they like.

A bunch of fucking malcontents with no right to a decent club and manager.

Anyway, as folk have already said, he (Miller) seems to be saying all the right things though I would tend to agree the board have been fairly unanimous in wanting change, so the ramifications from this decision, if any, are down to them. Not that accepting responsiblity is a trait amongst our board members, or any boards in football.

I really cannot understand the utter fucking arseholes who are celebrating the departure of the manager. Change may well be a good thing for both concerned but the complete fucking shite that has been spouted here and elsewhere over the past year or so just beggars belief.

Q AFTER REACHING EUROPE AND AXING A MANAGER, WILL THE EXPECTATIONS ON HIS REPLACEMENT BE HIGHER?

A No, my expectations are very much down to earth and sensible for the club. It will not be any higher or lower than the five years Jimmy was at Pittodrie. Whoever the new manager is will get the same support as Jimmy did. Thoughout his time as manager he received the full backing of the board, through the good times and the bad times. But with the club in Europe the new manager, whoever it is, will have to hit the ground running. We are an ambitious club and want to do well at that stage.

What is the point of bringing in a new manager just to do the same job, if you are getting rid of a manager should it not be to bring in someone who can take you to the next level???

A bunch of fucking malcontents with no right to a decent club and manager.

Anyway, as folk have already said, he (Miller) seems to be saying all the right things though I would tend to agree the board have been fairly unanimous in wanting change, so the ramifications from this decision, if any, are down to them. Not that accepting responsiblity is a trait amongst our board members, or any boards in football.

I really cannot understand the utter fucking arseholes who are celebrating the departure of the manager. Change may well be a good thing for both concerned but the complete fucking shite that has been spouted here and elsewhere over the past year or so just beggars belief.    

Well they did call it Wifebeater Sunday after all  :-\

What is the point of bringing in a new manager just to do the same job, if you are getting rid of a manager should it not be to bring in someone who can take you to the next level???

Willie's expectations are cup wins, and 3rd/4th in the league.  Calderwood couldn't deliver the cup wins so he's gone.

Willie's expectations are cup wins, and 3rd/4th in the league.  Calderwood couldn't deliver the cup wins so he's gone.

I suspect that's what's happened.

I struggled with this. I know Calderwood would deliver over a season in terms of league position, he has created some certainty and consistency over a season which no other team has had in his tenure.

However, the competitions where we have a chance of success and therefore should be major parts of his seasonal targets he has monumentally cunted. Not once or twice but 3 perhaps 4 times. Losing to premier league opposition is, whilst not necessarily acceptable, is possible. Successive defeats to lower league opposition when a shot at a final is in sight is categorically not. Whilst wanting Calderwood to remain the result of that is you could be rewarding failure.

In this reagrd, without saying I'm in any way happy or glad about it, the decision to part company certainly has merit and makes sense.

I suspect that's what's happened.

I struggled with this. I know Calderwood would deliver over a season in terms of league position, he has created some certainty and consistency over a season which no other team has had in his tenure.

However, the competitions where we have a chance of success and therefore should be major parts of his seasonal targets he has monumentally cunted. Not once or twice but 3 perhaps 4 times. Losing to premier league opposition is, whilst not necessarily acceptable, is possible. Successive defeats to lower league opposition when a shot at a final is in sight is categorically not. Whilst wanting Calderwood to remain the result of that is you could be rewarding failure.

In this reagrd, without saying I'm in any way happy or glad about it, the decision to part company certainly has merit and makes sense.

I hear what your saying, I have uttered the words he has to go many times the last couple of years, then the team pulls together and we finish strong. I have just enjoyed the last 5 years stress free from the relegation dog fight and with this boards knack of appointing the wrong manager it worries me, in the past it was like oh well whoever comes in can't do any worse but now they can do much worse.

I hear what your saying, I have uttered the words he has to go many times the last couple of years, then the team pulls together and we finish strong. I have just enjoyed the last 5 years stress free from the relegation dog fight and with this boards knack of appointing the wrong manager it worries me, in the past it was like oh well whoever comes in can't do any worse but now they can do much worse.

They did a pretty good job in appointing JC I'd say. Keep the faith, brother  :thumbsup: