Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McGhee to leave Motherwell.........

...........for Celtic  :o???>:(

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2446450.ece

GORDON STRACHAN'S pal Mark McGhee is bang in the frame for the Celtic hotseat as the Hoops gaffer plans his exit.

SunSport can reveal Motherwell boss McGhee is highly-regarded by Parkhead powerbrokers as they ponder the way ahead without Sunderland target Strach.

Former Celtic striker McGhee will feature strongly on Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell's shortlist alongside the likes of Burnley's Owen Coyle, West Brom boss Tony Mowbray and former West Ham manager Alan Curbishley.

McGhee has also been linked with Aberdeen following Jimmy Calderwood's shock departure - but there has been NO contact with the Dons.

Strachan was remaining tight-lipped on his future last night, but a statement is expected in the next few days.

As the Celtic boss came to terms with his title heartache, Sunderland chief Niall Quinn vowed to land a big-name boss after Ricky Sbragia quit.

Sbragia decided not to take up the second year of his contract after helping the Black Cats stay up and will revert to a backroom role next season.

Steve Bruce would love the chance to take over on Wearside, but Quinn insists the Mackems will take their time in landing a new boss.

He said: "Ricky walked into a difficult time and gave the club a lifeline.

"It's amazing what he did for the club. We had to act quickly last time, but this can be a nice controlled appointment.

"It was rushed before. It is a massive club and we need a big name.

"Big people change mentalities."

Sbragia had struggled to adapt to life in the hotseat and bagged just three wins from 19.

The Scot said: "I was thinking about the club and know they need a bigger name to move on. I kept them up, but it's all about Sunderland.

"It's even better to hand over to someone else knowing the club is still in the Premier League.

I have gotten the impression of the constant doubters (see JMG) of Strachan's ability to manage Celtic. Done well at Celtic and CV significantly enhanced and highly regarded in England.

Also got the impression, ever since the Hearts job last summer, McGhee has been waiting for another bigger club to come calling as his CV was enhanced after his first season at Motherwell.

tarotangel

now theres a name from the past

anyway

I have been informed in the past by someone particularly close to Mr McGhee that there are only 2 jobs that he would leave motherwell for - Us and the Tic. Personally I hope he goes to the latter but im with Mizer. Id be very susrprised if he went there especially before Stuart Baxter has been mentioned

Celtic are all about cutting costs these days, determined not to fall back into debt.  McGhee would be a cheap option but also ticks the box of being "Celtic Minded", which the media seem to suggest is why Strachan is not liked at Parkhead.  Which I think is a lot of rubbish, he's not liked because he's a wee gobshite and his team are awful to watch...sound familiar?

Celtic are all about cutting costs these days, determined not to fall back into debt.  McGhee would be a cheap option but also ticks the box of being "Celtic Minded", which the media seem to suggest is why Strachan is not liked at Parkhead.  Which I think is a lot of rubbish, he's not liked because he's a wee gobshite and his team are awful to watch...sound familiar?

Cheap option you say?

width=380 height=235http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/5e/6c/0,,10284~5925982,00.jpg[/img]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8067412.stm

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee has been recommended by departing Celtic manager Gordon Strachan as his replacement at Parkhead, BBC Sport understands.

Strachan stepped down in the wake of his failure to win a fourth successive Scottish Premier League title.

McGhee, who spent four years playing for Celtic in the 1980s, has impressed at Well, who were third in the 2007-08 SPL season to qualify for the Uefa Cup.

Bookmakers have West Brom manager Tony Mowbray down as favourite for the post.

Mowbray, a former Celtic player, impressed fans at the Hawthorns, despite the club being relegated from the Premier League this season, and also at former club Hibernian because of his attacking brand of football.

Celtic chairman John Reid hailed Strachan's "great professionalism, character and determination" and vowed to find a replacement to reclaim the top spot in the SPL.

"We will aim to appoint our new manager as soon as possible," said Reid.

"Our aim is to regain the championship and restore our pre-eminent place in Scottish football."

Burnley manager Owen Coyle's stock has risen considerably following his remarkable spell at the club.

The Clarets clinched promotion to the Premier League on Monday with a 1-0 win over Sheffield United in the play-off final.

However, he distanced himself from a move to Parkhead.

"I didn't know there was a vacancy at Celtic," he said. "It's flattering that people mention your name but I'm with Burnley.

"I'll concentrate my job on what I am doing here, and long may that continue."

McGhee, meanwhile, has long been touted as a candidate, while Dundee United manager Craig Levein is also highly regarded.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy and Everton boss David Moyes are also former Celtic players who have done impressive jobs in England, although both are unlikely to leave the English top flight.

I have been informed in the past by someone particularly close to Mr McGhee that there are only 2 jobs that he would leave motherwell for - Us and the Tic. Personally I hope he goes to the latter but im with Mizer. Id be very susrprised if he went there especially before Stuart Baxter has been mentioned

Said individual has informed me he 'believes McGhee is Pittodrie bound'

In the intertoto-specialneeds-June1-qualifying round ?

I saw some folk bumping their gums on the Hat about finishing fourth being wank, because it was effectively the Intertoto Cup AFC would qualify for, a view I disagree with. It's through no fault of any qualifying club (be it first or fourth round) that UEFA re-organised the competition. Can a club turn down their spot, and would anyone want to? It would be a massive lack of ambition, IMO.

I'm really not favouring McGhee coming to Pittodrie. I think I'm in the minority here, but I've not been impressed with his performance at Motherwell. If we had ONE season finishing in the bottom six, the Red Army would be on his back faster than we can say "JISMGOD".

At the moment, the only name I've seen on the list of candidates that I like is Darren Ferguson. But we'll never get him cos we'd have to pay a hefty fee to Posh.

I'm really not favouring McGhee coming to Pittodrie. I think I'm in the minority here, but I've not been impressed with his performance at Motherwell. If we had ONE season finishing in the bottom six, the Red Army would be on his back faster than we can say "JISMGOD".

At the moment, the only name I've seen on the list of candidates that I like is Darren Ferguson. But we'll never get him cos we'd have to pay a hefty fee to Posh.

I think the majority don't want him but are resigned to getting him.

I saw some folk bumping their gums on the Hat about finishing fourth being wank, because it was effectively the Intertoto Cup AFC would qualify for, a view I disagree with. It's through no fault of any qualifying club (be it first or fourth round) that UEFA re-organised the competition. Can a club turn down their spot, and would anyone want to? It would be a massive lack of ambition, IMO.

I was referring to Motherwell and if I'd known you were planning to get all serious and shit I would have stuck to my usual lecturing, self-righteous and indignant tone. Sorry  ;)