Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

24th May 2010 (maybe)

I have seen the fture and it's bleak ;)

Aberdeen sack management team

Published Date: 24 May 2010

ABERDEEN FC have sacked their manager, Mark McGhee, along with assistant manager Dean Windass.

The Aberdeen board also confirmed that Dons legend Willie Miller has been relieved of his duties at Pittodrie as director of football due to the clubs relegation from the SPL

"After a painful season, the board hopes that radical action does not have to be taken due to the clubs precarious financial position" said Stewart Milne, former chairman of Aberdeen FC.

I refer you to my post in the 'Failed protest' thread....

I'm completely lost for words here, do these feckin JMG plebs really believe they know more about running a football club than Willie Miller and Jimmy Calderwood?

I hope (for afc's sake) that I'm the one who's proved wrong, but Niall, I'll meet you and any other fucking afc-chat retard in this very thread in 12 months time.  Let's see what position the club are in then.

:(

Don't worry I've been on the Hat and the soothsayers tell me that Aberdeen will, in fact, be hoisting the league champions flag over Pittodrie next season.

And, if you don't agree you can fuck right off you fake plastic fans! Cunts don't know what your talking about. Stupid faggots probably got ethnicly weegie parents living off the dole!

8)

*edit for Dave ;)

ummmm

Willie got rid of him?

Are you suggesting he did so because Niall and his mates ate pies outside the main entrance a few weeks ago?

I'm suggesting the hate campaign against Jimmy for being fat/orange/weegie/hun/clueless/the list goes on, probably took it's toll on everyone at the club.  We've lost a great manager because of 3 or 4 bad cup reults, and a very vocal minority of fans.

I'm suggesting the hate campaign against Jimmy for being fat/orange/weegie/hun/clueless/the list goes on, probably took it's toll on everyone at the club.  We've lost a great manager because of 3 or 4 bad cup reults, and a very vocal minority of fans.

Not sure I agree entirely.

3 or 4 horrendous cup defeats and 2 years of miserable league football, which a significant proportion of the support (and yes they probably are the more vocal elements of the support) found uninspiring.  5 years in this day and age is a long long time in football.

We don't know what is coming but another year of JC would have guaranteed miserable league football, embarrassing cup defeats, sneaking into the top 6 and possibly sneaking europe. 

Is it so wrong to want something new, something fresh, something different, in the hope that it is a wee bit more exciting and rewarding?

Not sure I agree entirely.

3 or 4 horrendous cup defeats and 2 years of miserable league football, which a significant proportion of the support (and yes they probably are the more vocal elements of the support) found uninspiring.  5 years in this day and age is a long long time in football.

We don't know what is coming but another year of JC would have guaranteed miserable league football, embarrassing cup defeats, sneaking into the top 6 and possibly sneaking europe. 

Is it so wrong to want something new, something fresh, something different, in the hope that it is a wee bit more exciting and rewarding?

Mate, I'm 36 years old and i've seen plenty of football, good and bad, at Pittodrie over the years.  Ask Falkirk fans where good football got them this season.  I would much rather have a season of mediocre product on the pitch ending with a great day like today, than losing every other game 4-3 or 3-2 and battling relegation.  Maybe the new man can give us football we'll all be drooling over AND good results.  But if he can't, do we sack him next May?

Aberdeen fans are fickle, moaning bastards.  I worry that todays events could lead to a downwards spiral for Afc.

I don't think wanting a manager out after 2+yrs of rumblings of discontent amongst the dons support is fickle.

Your point about Hughes doesn't really stand up either as they did a hell of a lot better when he just worried about playing good football.  When he tried to fill the team full of experienced "winners" to add a bit of bite to their team and take them into the top six he almost got them relegated.  Despite their (and his failings) they never looked in danger of the drop, playing some reasonable football, in previous seasons.

If it was just a case of mediocre football you might have a point.  But it would be another year of mediocre football with the same mistakes repeated ad nauseam.

Yes we could play safe.  We could keep Calderwood, endure the season and have a great last day.  I know I wouldn't be heading North very often, even if I renewed my season ticket, and we would have a season much like the last two, with the only unknown being the Euro run (or otherwise)

Sacking/mutual consenting Calderwood is a risk, but sometimes you have to take risks. And after 5 years of a consistent level of performance, but crucially no vast improvement (save for the first season obviously) it was time to take a risk.

IMHO

Really?  You ask if Minijc etc think they know more about how to run a club than WM and JC.  Do you think you know how to run a club more than WM?  There is not a chance in hell he was sacked because of the "protest" or because of what a few nuggets say on an internet forum.

I also think you have to check your definition of "great".  JC is a good manager, a "great" manager for AFC wouldn't have had those 3 or 4 bad cup results.  He was told this season to get us to a Cup Final.  He failed. Spectacularly. Let's not re-write history, eh?  To imply that those cup results don't matter that much is shocking. JC has said himself that's what's undone him.  He knows he was lucky he wasn't sacked after QOTS.

I've said elsewhere on here in the last 12 hours or so that supposedly (it may well be a lot of shite) JC has "lost the dressing room". If that happens, as WM will surely know, there is only one solution and that's for the manager to walk.  If this is the case would you seriously advocate keeping him on?

Of course there's a risk that we could go on a downward spiral, but there are risks in most business decisions.  And that's what it is, a business decision.  Not so long ago Willie Miller himself made a public plea with JC to get the team playing more expansive and attractive football.  Why did he do that?  Because they're worried about losing supporters through the gates.

Although I wanted a change in management team, I can actually understand why some folk would want him to stay given where we were before he came in.  But we were just trundling along.  It's fantastic we've qualified for Europe, but how many people on this site have said in the last few weeks/months that they just wanted the season to finish? That is not a good sign.

I personally have a feeling that JC stayed a season too long.  However, if we have a poor season under the new manager next year, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad decision to get rid of JC.