Sunday and the possible consequences

There may be rather bigger issues to be settled in the SPL at the weekend, but what happens with us on Sunday could have huge knock-on effects for next season and beyond.  Below, I'm really just playing devil's advocate and would like to know how you folks see how the possible consequences panning out.

Scenario 1

We win, United lose and we get a place in the qualifiers for the Europa League (that is what it's called, yeah?). 

Pros:

This could be huge for the club with the new format of the tournament coming in, the potential for a lot more money should we get into the group stages. 

It may also mean the possibility of Severin and Mair staying and potentially improved contract offers for the likes of Kerr, McDonald and Aluko later in the year.

The possibility of a couple of new signings coming in.

The feel good factor it brings to the club as a whole, it generates excitement amongst the fans outwith the banality of the domestic campaign.

It could really spur our young team on to better things in the domestic game, and could give them invaluable experience which will only serve them well in the future.

The early start to the season could see us finally get off to a flying start in the league, which would be a most welcomed change.

At this point, I do want to say that I am loathe to using the term "Cons" as there shouldn't really be a downside to qualifying for Europe, but well, ye know...

Cons:

We fall at the first hurdle and ultimately fail to get into the group stages. The bad feeling amongst the support towards the management team could hit an all time low, at a time when many folk may not have renewed their season tickets.  The financial implications and increased apathy could be a disaster for the club.

Do we speculate to accumulate? Money spent on players - whether these are new players or current players on new deals - may be gambled before our Europa future is decided. Do we sign players to get us through to the group stages or wait to see how we get on first? It's a potential Catch 22 situation.

The shortcomings of the management team and the strain on a small and young squad of an early start to the season could mean a rather dull and frustrating domestic league which in turn could lead to more disharmony amongst the support and all the problems that brings with it.

Scenario 2

We do not qualify for Europe.

Pros:

In my mind, there really aren't that many pros to this as this is one of the main goals we have at the start of the season. However, to a large number of our support, it may see the change in management they crave.  Perhaps a change in management will boost the club.

It may mean more through the gates if the management does change.

Cons:

The obvious one is the financial side of things. Not just us losing out on the possibility of a large cash injection, but the fact that two of our biggest rivals (Hearts and United) may scoop a lot of cash instead could mean they have more to spend on players which we simply don't have.  This may not be a problem initially, but it would mean qualification for Europe in season 2010/11 may become a necessity if it isn't to become an issue.

Continuing apathy, bad feeling and poor relations between the club and it's fanbase.

Negative press/media coverage which in turn could effect numbers through gates as well as potential sponsorship/advertising revenues.

No Europe and the board decide to stick with the management team. Again, apathy etc would only continue.

There is a possibility we finish 6th. That would be a bit of a morale buster too.

I'm sure there are far more and please feel free to add to them/debate the ones I've mentioned and I'm aware that some of the above will be intertwined with each other.  Sunday is of huge consequence to us, outwith our hands to an extent but if we keep our end of the bargain then we're in with a chance.

Come on ye Reds!

For weeks now I haven't been believing that we would qualify for europe - at one point I was sure we wouldn't make Top 6 so to go into the last game still with a chance is for me amazing

I am not keen on us having to play qualifying matches in the middle of July - fear a repeat of Hibs fate last year - however the fact that  potentially our first game could be as late as the 30th is more encouraging

I think we need european football to survive - I dread to think what our budget will be if we fail

However I dunno if we have the bottle - guys like Diamond and Mackie are gonna be missing and Hibs record in the Top 6 so far is quite impressive

There are more than two consequnces I would say as the result will have an effect on the way supports view the season

1. We win and Utd lose -  :dance:

2. We win and utd win or draw -  :hammer:

3. We draw with hibs - :-\

4. We lose by a goal to hibs but hold onto 5th -  ::)

5. We lose by two goals to hibs and finish 6th -  >:D

Will it make much difference?

Any money to be made from europe will really only be forthcoming if we actually make it to the group stage.  We are certainly not in a position to splashing cash around on improved contracts and new signings in the assumption we make the group stage. 

Whether we reach Europe or not JC will be in charge next season (unless Mizer's scenario 5 plays out in particularly horrific fashion).  If we fail to make Europe/Grp stages we are in danger of suffering the kind of season we had this season, and had last season in the league.  The support will likely continue to moan, groan and fight amongst themselves until JCs contract finally runs out and our moral reaches record lows and our apathy record highs.

If we get into the group stages the crowds will flock to Pittodrie for those Thursday night matches and the good feeling will comfortably see us through till the Spring.

Obviously qualifying for Europe on Sunday will be great news for the club, and give us some much needed cheer but I fear that very little will change unless we repeat last seasons efforts....which will be a monumental ask.

Good post Bobby.

The thing that I can't get my head around is that we're being told that certain players we'll be able to keep if we qualify for Europe.  Now considering the budget is calculated on us finishing in 6th place then surely we should be able to afford to keep these?

So does that mean we're going to bump their wages to stay if we reach Europe or they're willing to stick around to play in Europe for the glory?

Either way it seems a bit strange given we might only play one game.

Or does it mean we're cutting back again?

Good post Bobby.

The thing that I can't get my head around is that we're being told that certain players we'll be able to keep if we qualify for Europe.  Now considering the budget is calculated on us finishing in 6th place then surely we should be able to afford to keep these?

So does that mean we're going to bump their wages to stay if we reach Europe or they're willing to stick around to play in Europe for the glory?

Either way it seems a bit strange given we might only play one game.

Or does it mean we're cutting back again?

Spot on.

It amazes me we still haven't sorted out contracts before the end of the season, again!!!

Spot on.

It amazes me we still haven't sorted out contracts before the end of the season, again!!!

You really do have to wonder what is going through the board's mind when they are dealing with this. Surely after years of experience, they should know that it doesn't pay off ??

Seve and Mair aside, who do we want to keep that has a contract running out?

I really hope Sunday goes our way, but yeah, everyone keeps telling me that the Huns are not going to win, and I know that Hibs have sorted their house out of late. Its going to be a very long and tense day.

You really do have to wonder what is going through the board's mind when they are dealing with this. Surely after years of experience, they should know that it doesn't pay off ??

Seve and Mair aside, who do we want to keep that has a contract running out?

I really hope Sunday goes our way, but yeah, everyone keeps telling me that the Huns are not going to win, and I know that Hibs have sorted their house out of late. Its going to be a very long and tense day.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but:

Seve - is waiting for a better offer from down south, if nothing comes he'll (reluctantly) stay

Mair - was made to sweat it out and last week accepted a contract?

Other than that, there's nobody worth worrying about.