Jim Bett: Maguire - emulate Jess

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1192416

Reds striker must come good, says ex-Don Jim Bett

JIM Bett today challenged Chris Maguire to emulate the heroics of Eoin Jess the last time Aberdeen FC beat Celtic twice in the same season .

Jess scored a double in a 3-0 victory in November 1990 and then hit the only goal in a 1-0 win five months later.

The Portsoy-born forward was just 20 in the second game, the same age as Maguire is at present.

Aberdeen FC are facing a striker crisis for Saturday’s clash with Celtic.

Lee Miller is suspended and Darren Mackie is set to miss out through injury.

Maguire is likely to start up front and Bett, who was part of the last double over the Hoops, wants him to take on the mantle of Jess.

Bett said: “It would be great for Aberdeen if Chris could do what Eoin did.

“Chris is playing with a lot of confidence at the moment, which makes a lot of difference when you are up against the Old Firm.

“The goals he scored for the Scotland under-21 team against Albania did him good.â€

Bett reckons now is the time for Maguire to prove he can be a regular starter.

The former Scotland midfielder said: “This is quite a big season for Chris and hopefully he can finish it on a high.’’

I'd be quite happy to see Maguire play up top with Aluko on Saturday as long as the rest of the team are briefed that its not Lee Miller up there and long balls to their heads are not on the menu.

They may well be briefed about that, would you bet on it getting through to them, however?

They may well be briefed about that, would you bet on it getting through to them, however?

The faces of Scotty Brown, Jackie Nakamura et al will be enough to wipe any learnings I suspect. The 'look up-size up midfield-hoof it' policy will be in full force within 10 mins.

The faces of Scotty Brown, Jackie Nakamura et al will be enough to wipe any learnings I suspect. The 'look up-size up midfield-hoof it' policy will be in full force within 10 mins.

Was sort of looking forward to this game, but i'm not so sure anymore  :-\:(

I'd be quite happy to see Maguire play up top with Aluko on Saturday as long as the rest of the team are briefed that its not Lee Miller up there and long balls to their heads are not on the menu.

Think you may just have found Jimmy's top secret football formula. The old hoof it he learned from the masters in holland. Talks Barcelona, produces cowdenbeath

I think Bebo did really well today. Yes ok, he should have probably finished one or two more, but the fact is, he created some of these chances for himself and generally had a very positive effect on our forward play. I hope that his progress continues and that maybe next season we see him and Miller making a decent forward partnership. We've seen glimpses of his talent earlier, I hope he continues what he appears to be doing (i.e. head down and rolling socks up etc...). I just pray his ego doesn't get in the way of things and obviously that he doesn't get dropped when Mackie is fit again. He deserves a run out in the team for the foreseable future (form permitting). Keep up the progress Bebo!  :thumbsup: