Josh Walker

Guest Nellie The Don

Guest Nellie The Don

Middlesbrough might go down this season and this would doubtless have implications that I can't really comprehend for them wrt playing staff.

Anyhow, should we try and get Josh Walker back on loan next season, or perhaps on a more permanent basis?

Was he good enough? Could we afford him? Are there other positions that need more attention?

Discuss.

EDIT : It seems he's out of contract at the end of the season.  Interesting.

I always thought Walker had the potential to be a very good player for us.  I seem to remember him featuring in quite a few Middlesbrough games throughout the season and if they do go down I would expect quite a few of their first team to leave, creating more opportunities for walker to feature, so i really wouldn't think we would have much chance of signing him again.

Saying that I really don't think a central midfielder is our priority just now, signing a couple of good quality experienced centre half's is much more important just now.

Saw him play at boro-sunderland earlier in the year.... think it was his 1st start for the club in the prem?.

Although he went off injured, he looked pretty good in CM as a ball winner and boro pretty much lost control of the game after he went off..

I'd say he is exactly the sort of player they would want to keep hold of if they went down to the championship.

Was a bit inconsistent cos so young - who can forget the Bayern game though. For the money and squad size we have available I don't think there is room for him unless we punt someone else. And there's probably bigger wage priorities out there when this is meant to be the year of our own youth coming through.

I'd agree with that. Good player and I was certain he was supposed to be signing a new deal before he got injured? I suppose it depends if they go down we would have a higher chance of signing him but that position certainly is not a priority. CB and RB and RM first and foremost.

<waits for the old foundationless Sandy Clark training ground bust-up rumour to rear it's heid>

(edit - too late by three minutes)

Didn't you know we'd have won the league last year if it wasn't for tango and Sandy Clark having a fall out with Middlesboro's answer to David Beckham. (JMG mob booooool sheeeeeeet)

Was a bit inconsistent cos so young - who can forget the Bayern game though. For the money and squad size we have available I don't think there is room for him unless we punt someone else (in fact more than one punt and not just squad players). And there's probably bigger wage priorities out there when this is meant to be the year of our own youth coming through.

???  The fall out was with JC, and it was rather public. Do you not remember Walker being hooked after 30 mins at Rugby Park? How often did we see him after that? 

I'd say he is exactly the sort of player they would want to keep hold of if they went down to the championship.

This seems more likely to me as well.  Players like Gary O'Neil will probably be offski if/when they go down, and Walker could well be needed to plug the gap.

Even if he does leave, I don't think CM is a priority for us next season.

Yes, I would take him back in an instant, but I wouldn't break up the Kerr and McDonald partnership in the middle of the park. With doubts over Severin, Smith and Mair signing on, re-enforcements are paramount. I think centre back, right back and other wide players is of more importance than the middle of the park. I think that the team needs a couple of players with the ability along with experience.

What about Sammy Stewart? Is he not ready for involvement with the first team? What kind of player is he? A ball winner like Kerr or an attacking midfielder a la McDonald?

Guest Nellie The Don

I thought he signed a new 2/3 year contract with Boro a couple of months ago?

Quite possibly. I was relying on Wikipedia for my info.