Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jimmy in the P&J

Calderwood’s holiday reminder

Dons could be on leave after two games if they lose to Celtic and United, says manager

By Paul Third

Published: 28/04/2009

There are five matches of this SPL season remaining but Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has told his players they will be on holiday two games from now if they lose to Celtic and Dundee United.

The SPL champions visit Pittodrie on Saturday before the Dons travel to Tannadice a week tomorrow.

With his side trailing the Arabs by a point, Calderwood knows the Dons cannot afford to lose ground to Craig Levein’s team with the two going head to head for the fourth and final European place for next season.

He said: “It is going to be an exciting end to the season. We will be sold out on Saturday and will have a big following at Tannadice. We will then play Hearts at home which will be another big game and then we go to Ibrox.

“If all goes well we will play Hibs here on the last day of the season needing a win or a draw to get into Europe and that will mean it is a sellout again. I am encouraged by the fact we have finished the season strongly in the past and we will need to do it again. I would be disappointed if we played as poorly as we did at Celtic in our last game. If we keep playing like that we will be on holiday within two weeks.â€

Calderwood knows the margin between success and failure is slim for the season run-in but he is encouraged by the fact his team has normally finished the season with a flourish.

He said: “We are so close and if we are not good enough then so be it, but we have to give ourselves a chance.â€

Having performed poorly in a 2-0 defeat at Celtic Park in their previous SPL game, the Dons have been handed an immediate chance to make amends on Saturday.

The manager is looking for a huge improvement on the last display and said: “We have to get close to Celtic on Saturday. Aiden McGeady and Shunsuke Nakamura can hurt you if you let them and we didn’t impose ourselves on them at Celtic Park.

“We will give them respect but if we don’t get in about them we will struggle.â€

Calderwood’s hopes Darren Mackie would be fit to return have been dented with the forward failing to show signs of recovery.

He said: “It doesn’t look too positive as far as Darren is concerned. Derek Young has made limited progress and Jamie Smith’s recovery is going well. He is probably the closest to being fit of the three. Zander Diamond has had his operation and everything went well. He will be out for five or six weeks which means he will be fit in time for pre-season which was what we wanted to hear.â€

Too right we didn't. It was pathetic.

I hope to hell they get their act together and Jimmy finally motivates the team to win these remaining games.

We didn't impose ourselves on them because to do that would have required us to actually turn up...

Btw, why do we have to give them respect (I know its in the press but I get the impression he actually feels that too)? How does that help us? Ok, they are a good team, but doesn't mean we have to a) respect them or b) fear them. Just fire into them, look what happened last time they were at Pittodrie? I didn't think we respected them at all and scored 4 and won the game.