Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Where the FIK is he?

"Jimmy Calderwood reckons he`s uncovered the new Steve Bull with his new Dutch signing Robert Fik and he`s tipping his new boy to give SPL defenders nightmares as he bullies his way onto the scoresheet.

Jimmy sees Fik as the last signing he intends to make for next season and unless a club takes bad boy Jamie Langfield off his hands or some of the rumoured interest in Russell Anderson, Chris Clark, Michael Hart and Barry Nicholson from England comes to fruition, the new striker will be the last new face for next season.

Jimmy is happy with his squad and after the significant progress last term, he`s optimistic of going continuing where the season ended but he knows big English bucks could tempt many of his star men south.

Jimmy is more than aware that money talks and said, 'I am realistic and realise that I could lose a player which is obviously a worry.

'But there have been absolutely no approaches for players, and that includes Russell Anderson and Michael Hart.

'Ideally it will remain like that although I will be sweating over the summer, hoping no team actually makes a move for an Aberdeen player.

'I do not want to lose anyone because I am very close to the squad I want for the start of the season.

'The last thing I want is to lose a key player and have to start searching for a replacement.

'But as it stands I would expect everyone to be here for the start of the season.'

Jimmy would be delighted if that was the case and admitted 'I am getting very close to the squad I want for the new season".

'Real quality has been introduced.'

He is of course talking about Jackie McNamara, Lee Mair, Jeffrey De Visscher and Jonathan Kurrant who all at least have some decent pedigree and should easily fill the boots of the departed Gary Dempsey, David Donald, Jamie Winter and Andy Bagshaw.

And so onto the last man in at Pittodrie, what exactly will we be seeing from a part time metal salesman who has left an amateur side in Holland?

He comes after scoring 27 goals last season for unknowns WKE last season and signs initially only on a one year deal but with an option of another if things go to plan.

On paper none of that sounds very convincing but Calderwood, who hasn`t been wrong too often in his Aberdeen career, has seen something special in the 26 year old.

Jimmy summed up what Dons fans can look forward to seeing during the course of next term and spoke of the attributes that make him think that he`ll be a success in Scotland.

JC said, 'Fik is a big, powerful striker who gets in where it hurts.

'He is absolutely fearless and reminds me of Wolves striker Steve Bull in that he will try to dominate defenders.

'Strong goal scorers like that, who get stuck in and rustle up defenders, are a dying breed nowadays.

'Robert came up against Russell Anderson and Zander Diamond when he was over for a trial.

'He even managed to put big Zander on his backside during a few challenges which is not easy to do.

'Not many players stand up to them, but he did and I liked that he was willing to have a real go.

'What also impressed me about Fik is that he is hungry and has a passion for the game.'

'The lad may be very physical but people shouldn't forget that he also has very quick feet,' he said.

'He played for the Dutch national side at under-18 level and you don't do that without having pedigree.

'He may have played for a small club in WKE, but the amateur leagues are miles apart to what we have over here.

'Robert was desperate to play for Aberdeen and I had no hesitation in offering him a deal.'

'Although I am looking at Robert Fik as a striker, he is very versatile and can play in a number of different positions,' said Calderwood.

'Robert only trained with us for a couple two days but I saw enough to convince me.

'When you look at the squad we will have next season it will be tough to secure a regular start.

'But he accepts that and sees it as a challenge and will rise to it.

'With him on board things are looking good for next season.'"

What has happened to the signing of Fik?  As far as I know, he's not signed on the dotted line yet.  Is this ever going to happen?

It should be finalised this week. P&J online should have the latest on it.

should be finalised this week, eh?

I'd put our chances of signing him at about one in ten then.

Guest fraggis
The Dons have concluded negotiations with Dutch forward Robert Fik.

The paperwork will arrive on the 26-year-old's doorstep in Holland this morning after the club and player ironed out the remaining contractual issues.

Fik, who visited the city last week for a medical, spoke to Calderwood yesterday.

Calderwood said: "Robert is very positive about the move and was impressed by the city.

"The contract has been sent out by the club. Whether he returns it by post or brings it with him for the start of pre-season training at the end of the month, I'm confident he will be an Aberdeen player.

"Robert had a few details he wanted included in the contract and we had no problem with that. The deal has been agreed and he has been a pleasure to deal with."

In P&J. Looks like he's on his way.

P&J state today that Jimmy has given him 48 hours to give him an answer. So who knows if he's coming or not!  ???

Well, I did :-)

I was actually being very generous by saying there was a one in ten chance he'd sign for us.

That was Optimistic Kelt.

Cynical Kelt was thinking "No fucking chance whatsoever".

It's always the same when these things drag out.  If they wanted to sign they'd sign.  Whenever it takes more than a couple of weeks from the time it's announced we're "about to sign _______" then you know it's not going to happen.